SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    People in California are calling for a 'Calexit' from the US in the wake of Trump's win
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People in California are calling for a 'Calexit' from the US in the wake of Trump's win Login/Join 
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
As a resident I'd vote for Calexit. The state will lose federal funding and in turn, CA might claim the military bases and ports as their own.

CA needs the money those bases and ports put into the economy and it cannot survive without federal money so the choices are rather starkk for the legislators. Remember, they aren't really pushing for this as the anti-Trump loons but they'll have to figure out how to make it work.

New taxes and fees will be considered, funding cut (maybe Jerry's choo-choo?) to pay for essential services to new sanctuary state inhabitants. Costs and incurred debts will spike and all in all, it will be worth watching.

CA is in the shitter anyway and Calexit will only speed up the demise. Hell, yeah! I'll vote for this.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
If they want the US Army to occupy Sacramento and all other major cities in that creepy place,

Were I Trump I'd let them go. Withdraw all military and other federal personnel from CA, suspend all federal payments into the state and them sink.

California is a failed state. The only difference between them and Somalia is that they are attached at the hip to the US. Cut them free and see what happens.

Not including the taxes paid in by active military and their dependents, CA gives more to the federal goobermint (in the form of taxes) than it receives in goobermint funds. Remove the military and all bets are off.

However, requiring CA residents to have a passport prior to entering AZ, NV, or OR, that would be fun to watch. Imposing tariffs on imports from CA or letting the market decide how much AZ can charge for energy (oil and electricity).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
CA is in the shitter anyway and Calexit will only speed up the demise. Hell, yeah! I'll vote for this.

If it comes to a vote it'll be an interesting coalition of conservatives and "progressives" who vote for it:
quote:
There are two kinds of people who support the Calexit movement:
1. People living in California who think that their state would be far better off without being hitched to the rest of the union,
2. and people living in every other state who can’t wait to get rid of California.

So you are a 3rd category:
3. People living in California who think that their state is a failed State and needs to be pushed to the brink and forced to change.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Is there an official proposal for the Calexit anywhere? I am curious where they plan to get water, how they propose to manage their new national defense, etc.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Is there an official proposal for the Calexit anywhere? I am curious where they plan to get water, how they propose to manage their new national defense, etc.

They no detailed plans for you to look at. The only thing they have is that that we're the #7 economy in the world. But that assumes they have continued federal dollars.

Look, this whole idea is entertaining but in the end, Congress won't go along with it so enjoy the show while it lasts. It'll give a glimpse of the dolts who either run or want to run this state.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
If they want the US Army to occupy Sacramento and all other major cities in that creepy place,

Were I Trump I'd let them go. Withdraw all military and other federal personnel from CA, suspend all federal payments into the state and them sink.

California is a failed state. The only difference between them and Somalia is that they are attached at the hip to the US. Cut them free and see what happens.

Not including the taxes paid in by active military and their dependents, CA gives more to the federal goobermint (in the form of taxes) than it receives in goobermint funds. Remove the military and all bets are off.

However, requiring CA residents to have a passport prior to entering AZ, NV, or OR, that would be fun to watch. Imposing tariffs on imports from CA or letting the market decide how much AZ can charge for energy (oil and electricity).

...not to mention WATER.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Y'all need to do what NC & SC did and split. Yinz Californians are too big and too different of a state to stay together for the children. Break up already!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Y'all need to do what NC & SC did and split.

...in 2009, then GOP assemblyman Bill Maze proposed creating two states: a Coastal California state and an Inland California state. The big population centers of San Francisco and Los Angeles would be in the first, but the inland state would include some large coastal counties such as Orange (home of Disneyland) and San Diego.

The new states would be far more in sync on policy. The coastal state would emphasize environmental values, the “next big thing” economy of Silicon Valley, and the multicultural diversity of L.A. The inland state would have vast water resources, abundant agricultural lands, and its own cutting-edge facilities in sectors ranging from aerospace to data processing. The two states would provide an escape from the current political conformity of California, which is dominated by public-sector unions and progressive activists.

Politically, the two states would provide an escape from the current political conformity of California, which is dominated by public-sector unions and progressive activists. Take the last governor’s race in 2014. Democrat Jerry Brown won reelection over Republican Neel Kashkari by 60 percent to 40 percent statewide. But in Inland California, they were separated by just a few thousand votes. The two Californias would include a progressive stronghold able to experiment (even more than the state already does) with new “small is beautiful” ideas; next to it would be a politically competitive state with many constituencies that would favor pro-growth policies. Tensions and gridlock under a two-state model would probably be reduced.

Of course, it’s unlikely that California will ever be divided. It’s even more unlikely that it would cut its ties to the rest of the nation and become a separate country. But the debate on both ideas is healthy. To what extent should we let arbitrary political boundaries established many decades ago curb our imagination and prevent us from creative solutions to our problems?

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/...o-states-better-idea

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
OMG
I just saw Tucker Carlson interview the guy pushing Calexit. Tucker pointed out that the middle class is leaving California, turning CA into a 3rd world country, rich and poor. He was glad the middle class is leaving California because they are infiltrating other states with California values. Roll Eyes

My first thought was, "The stupid is strong in this one. Incredibly strong."

My second thought is stick a fork in California, it is done. Frown

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Charge for water from Oregon and Arizona, too. And require passports to travel to any other state (by air, rail, or road).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:

There have been many proposals to divide CA over the years. Most plans state their reason for change being the State is too large to effectively manage the needs of the many, the Citizen's political views being too disparate to build conscious and negotiate to a compromised "common ground", etc...

The plan that non-CA Citizens should keep an eye on is the one favored by the CA Democratic Party. In this plan, CA becomes 4 States carved up to ensure majority of the Democratic Party and resulting in an increase of the number of US Senators from 2 members to 8 members.

Can you imagine having 8 CA Senators with the viewpoint of Barbara Boxer, Kamala Harris, and Dianne Feinstein???

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

It's very simple. The federal government will provide all that. Yea. It doesn't make any sense, but we're talking about California.

My impression is CALEXIT expects their tax money would stay in the state, contracts/agreements for water and power would continue. In short California exits but wants the rest of the nation to keep the entitlements coming.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The plan that non-CA Citizens should keep an eye on is the one favored by the CA Democratic Party. In this plan, CA becomes 4 States carved up to ensure majority of the Democratic Party and resulting in an increase of the number of US Senators from 2 members to 8 members.

Can you imagine having 8 CA Senators with the viewpoint of Barbara Boxer, Kamala Harris, and Dianne Feinstein???

That's what we have to avoid, certainly.
But the above map kind of makes sense. Two states. One completely "progressive"; the other fairly conservative.

-rduckwor

I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
In short California exits but wants the rest of the nation to keep the entitlements coming.

Yeah, which is what we couldn't let happen.

Withdraw everything and let them rot.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
You know me. I've long argued for the idea of letting them secede and then immediately invading.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
You know me. I've long argued for the idea of letting them secede and then immediately invading.
ya, if we could use some of those bombs that just reduce the population but leave the infrastructure in place...

-rduckwor

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
In the early days of state definition, it was postulated that California would be allowed to divide into 2 states in the future, and that Texas would be able to divide into as many as 5. I'm sure this was based on the very large areas bounded by those states and the probability that their populations would eventually grow large enough to justify it. It is not unheard of that new states be formed from old ones--all of the east coast states originally included territory most of the way to the Mississippi and they were carved up, and West Virginia was created from a chunk of Virginia. However, the process is not an easy one. The residents of all affected regions have to approve the idea, the state legislatures also have to do so, and then the US Congress must agree to it. A Republican-led Congress would certainly reject a proposal to create 4 Democrat-led states out of California, but it might approve splitting it into 2 parts, one Progressive and one Conservative.

Splitting Texas would be a similar situation: most likely would be attempting to contain one of the major cities in each piece, and that would be a disaster, Senate-wise. We'd end up with more Progressives than Conservatives, I think, because those red counties would be overcome by the big cities.

Bad as the situation is right now, I think maybe we're better off than we would be by allowing the big states to divide.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
ya, if we could use some of those bombs that just reduce the population but leave the infrastructure in place...

You've gotta give them at least one shot at returning to civilization. Or moving to another country, as the case may be.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:

They'd likely be allies with Mexico. You want to risk pissing off Mexico?

BTW - does Mexico have nukes?

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
They'd likely be allies with Mexico. You want to risk pissing off Mexico?

BTW - does Mexico have nukes?

That's why I said "immediately".

To tell you the truth, I really wouldn't care under those circumstances.

Not as far as anyone knows.
http://www.opanal.org/wp-conte...reaty_Tlatelolco.pdf