SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    People in California are calling for a 'Calexit' from the US in the wake of Trump's win
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People in California are calling for a 'Calexit' from the US in the wake of Trump's win Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that a vast majority of the Californians living in central and northern California would elect to split the state and stay in the US. Since that is the productive portion of the state in terms of agriculture, and rational thought, I know we would want them to stay.

Posts: 8621 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
destroy all of their ability to be self-sustaining,

They don't have much fresh water.... they wouldn't be self-sustaining.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24109 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and exit,

They don't have the resources to survive, CA buys a significant amount of it's power from out of state and Mexico. They don't have sufficient in state power generation facilities, and the ones they do are outdated.

Hey we'll sell them power, at triple the rate, same for fresh water, etc.

Since they don't like non renewable energy and love EPA style terrorist rules, they won't be able to build anything to sustain themselves,

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only nteresting issue will be the real property and infastructure owned by the federal government. Think Pendleto, San Diego, Irwin. Then there are the national parks.

The Federal government owns about 43 percent of the land in California.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Let them try.

Then we raise a massive army, invade, destroy all of their ability to be self-sustaining, kill one third of the population, starve another 10% to death, take private property for failure to pay taxes, have President Trump appoint people to rule a balkanized state, end all government assistance, and keep it that was for two generations.

....and hear their women, female identifying, gender neutral, bi-curious, transitioning partners lamentations....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Go ahead and exit,

They don't have the resources to survive, CA buys a significant amount of it's power from out of state and Mexico. They don't have sufficient in state power generation facilities, and the ones they do are outdated.

Hey we'll sell them power, at triple the rate, same for fresh water, etc.

Since they don't like non renewable energy and love EPA style terrorist rules, they won't be able to build anything to sustain themselves,
If Oregon and Arizona shut off the water, everyone south of San Francisco would die within days.

flsahguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More power to them wasting their energies on a futile dream.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They weren't in the Union for the last go-round on that. Maybe they don't think that applies to them?

CA became a state in 1850. They 'made noises' about secession (independent of the Confederacy & the US}, 'cause they they were sitting on a pile of gold!

CA was 'bribed' to remain part of the union with the promise to build a transcontinental railroad.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be in favor of Calexit - Dems will lose their automatic 55 electors.. Smile Smile

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
I'd be in favor of Calexit - Dems will lose their automatic 55 electors.. Smile Smile

Guess who wouldn't have won the popular vote? Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I support Calexit wholeheartedly! Hell, I'd vote to let 'me have the federal lands w/in their border. Likewise any military facilities. Whatever. Just go, already! Please!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Here you are, synthplayer:

'Calexit' organizers can now start collecting signatures to get California secession on the ballot

Supporters of the campaign for California to secede from the United States can now begin collecting the hundreds of thousands of signatures they need to get a proposed "Calexit" initiative on the ballot.

California Secretary of State Alex Padilla cleared the proposed initiative to begin collecting signatures on Thursday.

If the measure gets on the ballot and gains approval by a majority of voters, it would repeal clauses in the California Constitution stating that the state is an "inseparable part of the United States" and that the U.S. Constitution is the "supreme law of the land," according to the title and summary prepared by the state attorney general's office.

The measure would place another question on the ballot in 2019, asking whether California should become a separate country. If at least half of registered voters participate in that vote, with at least 55% of those voting to approve, the results would be treated as California's declaration of independence.

The current measure's fiscal effect is "dependent on various factors," writes the state's nonpartisan legislative analyst, and if it succeeds would result in "major, but unknown budgetary impacts."

The proposal's backers, known as Yes California, have argued that the state is culturally out of step with the rest of the U.S. and that California pays more money to the federal government than it receives in spending. The election of President Trump has only strengthened their argument, they say .

"California loses [by] being a part of America culturally and financially," said Marcus Ruiz Evans, one of the group's founders. "It could be a nation all its own, everybody knows that. The only question is if they want to break off."

It's unclear how the group will collect the required 585,407 valid signatures from registered voters over the next 180 days to qualify for the ballot.

A campaign committee, Yes California Independence Committee, has raised no funds so far, according to records from the secretary of state. But Evans says that his group has more than 7,000 volunteers (significantly down from a 13,000 estimate in December) ready to gather signatures and that voters can expect to see signature gatherers on the streets in the next couple of days.

Yes California says that even if the proposed initiative does land on the ballot and voters approve it, such an unprecedented move to secede would need to receive approval of at least a majority of the states in the union, among other legal hurdles .

Evans says he's not fazed.

"America already hates California, and America votes on emotions," he said. "I think we'd have the votes today if we held it."

UPDATE

7:01 p.m.: This post has been updated to clarify that the proposed initiative would place a future vote on California's secession on the ballot in 2019.

http://www.latimes.com/politic...83444-htmlstory.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24109 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:

Guess who wouldn't have won the popular vote? Wink

I've heard enough of the Left throwing the popular vote at us too. Clinton's less than 3 million vote margin doesn't even meet the 3.12 million registered voter margin the Dems hold in California alone. Registered Independents who vote Democrat in California gives them another 1.7 million potential voters.

link

This would be a very different country if everything was subject to the tyranny of the majority. The Left wouldn't like it.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

"It could be a nation all its own, everybody knows that. The only question is if they want to break off."

quote:

...." and America votes on emotions,"

First, I would love to see what the "Armed Forces of the Country of California" look like Smile, and second, he is correct about voting on emotion. That is EXACTLY how liberals vote.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
Trump will crush the Californians, see them driven before him and hear the lamentations of those who identify as women.

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It's the "everybody knows that" that gets me. Californians have been talking for years about the size of their economy. They never talk about how dependent that economy is on California being a part of the US. They also never talk about water, highways, ports, investment, education, having a stable currency (or something to base it on other than Jerry Brown's vague assurances) or anything else they rely on the rest of the country to provide.

Does anyone really "know" that California would make it as an independent country? Most actual countries that are about California's size and shape (think Spain) are working overtime on becoming more and more tightly wrapped in regional alliances to overcome what they lack as independent countries. In the process they become less and less like independent countries and more and more like states in a federal union.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone really "know" that California would make it as an independent country?

That's the thing, isn't it?
They wouldn't be an independent country for long, would they?
Not only could they not defend themselves, but they have very little water and massive debt. Once the federal welfare assistance stopped flowing even the special snowflakes would want to leave.

But I want to see them put this issue on the ballot. It may be just the impetus that causes them to face reality and forces them to make some needed changes to stay in the US. Wink

-rduckwor

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Chellim, I saw that article this morning--they really are going to try to get the initiative on the ballot. That is certifiably crazy. But there are easily 600,000 certifiably crazy people in California.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I am pretty sure that a vast majority of the Californians living in central and northern California would elect to split the state and stay in the US. Since that is the productive portion of the state in terms of agriculture, and rational thought, I know we would want them to stay.

Let LA and SF split and the rest of California stay. The Dems would never let this happen because the Dems could never win the WH again without the vote of Democrats of those two Cities counted in a National Election.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Shut the water off at the Hoover Dam and see how long they last.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post