SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    People in California are calling for a 'Calexit' from the US in the wake of Trump's win
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People in California are calling for a 'Calexit' from the US in the wake of Trump's win Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
quote:

People in California are calling for a 'Calexit' from the US in the wake of Trump's win
Melia Robinson

"Calexit" is swiftly taking over social media.

After Donald Trump won the race to the White House, people across California took to social media Tuesday night to call for "Calexit," recalling Brexit in its push to leave the union.

As the topic continues to trend on Twitter, Californians in favor of seceeding from the US will gather today on the steps of the capitol in Sacramento.

The group leading the charge, Yes California Independence Campaign, assembled long before Trump's surprising victory. Its aim is to put a referendum on the 2019 ballot that, if passed, would make California an independent country.

The movement has racked up some impressive backers already. Shervin Pishevar, an early investor in Uber and well-known angel investor, claimed on Twitter that he would bankroll a campaign to make California its own nation if Trump won.

In an interview with CNBC on Wednesday, he confirmed his mission.

"It's the most patriotic thing I can do," he told CNBC. "The country is at serious crossroads. ... Calling it New California."

He expressed a desire that California, the sixth largest economy in the world, in terms of GDP, might become a catalyst for a "national dialogue" as the country reaches a "tipping point."

Full story: People in California are calling for a 'Calexit' from the US in the wake of Trump's win

I'm good with it. Hell, I'll help 'em pack Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Someone should point out to them what happened the last time someone tried that.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good riddance.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Someone should point out to them what happened the last time someone tried that.

Yeah, but this is California and Californians. They're... like... you know, special and all.

Really all they need do is wait for nature to take its course, I'm thinkin'...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Withdraw ALL federal spending and interstate trade with CA and see how that economy goes. They could open up their border with their southern neighbor and trade with them.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Bye. And I want border enforcement too. And a heavy price for a visa to the US, like to Arizona or New Mexico. I'm done Effin' around. the SJW's want to play? Lets play.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Withdraw ALL federal spending and interstate trade with CA and see how that economy goes. They could open up their border with their southern neighbor and trade with them.

And don't forget the water they leach from western states! Cut 'em off!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

While my first thought was, "Please don't as that will be the fastest way to get rid of them!" The unfortunate reality is that this bunch will expect other's to do the fighting for them.

Posts: 2854 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I guess the libs there in California really are as stupid as I imagined.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Please make it so -- California being the coastal areas primarily. Leave the state of Jefferson behind.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They weren't in the Union for the last go-round on that. Maybe they don't think that applies to them?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
GTFO

Where do I donate to help dump their sorry ass out of the union?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking a couple of little dams upstream on the Colorado River might impact their plans.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Does that mean the U.S. could invade them & kick out the separatistsBig Grin

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bon Voyage!

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LH2
posted Hide Post
Aren't they like the most bankrupt state in the union?

Fine by me!

Posts: 3443 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Let 'em go. Turn off the water from CO, UT, NM. I can live without the almonds...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is a fantastic idea and I am all for it.

Posts: 107462 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That's 55 less electoral votes to our enemies the next go round.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Let's have a national vote on THAT!

C-ya!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12393 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post