SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firefighters drop pumpkins from 100 feet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefighters drop pumpkins from 100 feet Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
"The fire department in Davison, Michigan, hoped the local community would get into the Halloween spirit with a pumpkin drop event during the annual Pumpkin Festival. Footage shared by Davison-Richfield Fire Department shows crew members 102 feet up a cherry picker dropping a large pumpkin. The pumpkin hits the ground with a terrible splat, much to the horror of onlookers.

Obviously shaken, Davison-Richfield Fire Chief Les Nessman declared, "As God is my witness, I thought pumpkins could fly."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/food...oween-fun/vi-AAIRx51

Wink Wink Wink

( https://youtu.be/lf3mgmEdfwg )

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
WKRP in Cincinnati turkey drop without feathers. Big Grin

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:

That was an all time classic. I still chuckle when I replay it in my mind. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
One of the all time great segments in TV history. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Some years ago, a group of pilots in various airplanes (mostly two-seat taildraggers) May have done something similar from various heights, both higher and lower over Soggy Dry Lake. I can neither confirm nor deny whether both pumpkins and bowling balls were involved.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Some years ago, a group of pilots in various airplanes (mostly two-seat taildraggers) May have done something similar from various heights, both higher and lower over Soggy Dry Lake. I can neither confirm nor deny whether both pumpkins and bowling balls were involved.

Which one hit first? Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

I don’t believe anyone ever dropped both at the same time. I can say that it was only the bowling balls that were dropped more than once. Smile

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

Duh. Whichever one was heavier.

Just in case Wink

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Psshh. Last month we went out and blew up a big pumpkin with 2 1/2 pounds of Tannerite.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some years ago we did pumpkin jumps for halloween. It was a mountain airstrip, cold that time of year, so I wore a ski suit. I showed up with a carved pumpkin with some questions about how to get out of the airplane holding it, stay stable, and deploy the parachute. Everyone else showed up with a small gourd-looking thing that they could hold in one hand, and made nice, stable exits for a "hop-and-pop parachute deployment.

I did a diving exit and tumbled and by the time I managed to get stable, holding the pumpkin, I was close to terminal velocity. Unfortunately, in my zeal to get the parachute out and deployed before reaching a speed too high to retain the pumpkin during opening, I had already tossed the pilot chute while unstable. It did a wrap at my elbow with the bridle line, and it burbled uselessly at my elbow, with a complete pack closure. If the main container did open at this point, I'd have had a "horse shoe" malfunction that would have broken my arm, or worse. As it was, I had a total pack closure malfunction.

I pushed the pumpkin away, and watched it increase speed, a slow arc down, and noticed a single vehicle on the two-lane road below, and thought great...now I'll be the first person to kill someone with a pumpkin. I deployed the reserve, a small navy conical parachute that opened quite hard. I landed on the gravel runway about the same time as the airplane, which had to taxi off the runway to go around me.

The idea was to get out, open, and spiral down to 2,000' where we'd drop the pumpkin into a trash can, marked with panel markers. Then we'd fly the parachute to the "peas," a landing area with a 3 cm electronic disc. The combination of scores, closest to the trash can and closest on the accuracy landing, added up to determine the winner. I wasn't remotely close on either.

I did witness pumpkins hitting around the trash can, from 2,000'. They made a surprisingly loud pop. One slipped from between a jumper's thighs as he was spiraling, spun outward with centripetal force, leaving some question as to where it might go. A jumper observing realized it might be in his vicinity and began running. It hit just behind him bursting. He was hit by some of the pumpkin and fell down yelling "I'm hit, I'm hit." Everyone had a good chuckle.

That was my last pumpkin drop.

I'm guessing the firefighters in the original post had a lot more fun.

I always wanted to go see the catapult pumpkin chucking contest. Maybe one of these days...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post