SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need some input from You Guys on a knife
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some input from You Guys on a knife Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
I bought this from a forum member several years ago (pre-owned) before I got into carrying knives as a dealer.
It is an awesome VERY strong-springed Automatic
Pro-Tech Knife
Brend Auto #3 (medium) Model #1306-C
Black handle, cocobolo Wood inlays, black blade. MSRP $360

Soooo. I was using it and the Lock failed luckily no injury!
I called them and they wanted it back for $15 shipping/handling fee *^&$##^%$!
So it arrived over the weekend
BRAND NEW-Sealed!
I was pleasantly surprised.
So here's what I need help with:

Question:
Should I keep it
or offer it up for sale for $275?

Choices:
Keep it
Sell it

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8309 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
X Karma

Posts: 5281 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Keep it, that is a nice knife!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9355 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If the lock fails, I wouldn’t keep it, unless I was doing something that would cause the lock to fail from misuse or something along those lines.

That said, 99% of the time, my knife is just a box opener. So maybe I would keep it.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4019 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
If the lock fails, I wouldn’t keep it, unless I was doing something that would cause the lock to fail from misuse or something along those lines.

That said, 99% of the time, my knife is just a box opener. So maybe I would keep it.

They replaced it with a brand new knife.
I have not removed it from their packaging. Also note I have access to lots of knives being a distributor for Cold Steel, CRKT and Bear & Son

Posts: 8309 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Protech makes THE best automatic pocket knives. Keep it!

Posts: 10817 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Seems to me there was probably a defect in design, workmanship, or materials. And them wanting “handling” (whatever that is) on what should be a warranty repair kind of turns me off. I think a knife at that price point should be failure-free, if not abused.

I wouldn’t keep the replacement.

Posts: 26838 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You bought a used knife and it failed. I doubt they sent you a brand new knife hoping you would sell it. Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19079 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Seems to me there was probably a defect in design, workmanship, or materials. And them wanting “handling” (whatever that is) on what should be a warranty repair kind of turns me off. I think a knife at that price point should be failure-free, if not abused.

I wouldn’t keep the replacement.

The knife has to be at least 3 years old although I just started to carry it the past 2 months.
It was never abused by me or the previous owner.
Pro Tech said when I called them the switch sometimes wear out. (which I believe that wear wasn't the real issue, since it was not activated but maybe, 30 times.
The $15 is their standard charge for all their service dept. knives.

old rugged cross
"You bought a used knife and it failed. I doubt they sent you a brand new knife hoping you would sell it. Roll Eyes"

Not sure what you're insinuating, my "used" knife was more like pre-owned no signs of blade wear or carry wear Our fellow member sold a spectacular specimen.
Again the reason for the poll question is that since it is now BRAND New AND given the fact that I have over 150 knife models ahould I keep this one or let it go.
If I do part with it the new owner gets a brand new knife with a brand new warranty.

And Yes, Pro-Tech makes a VERY hi-quality instrument. Their service deptartment turn-around time was within 24 hours!
I really like their line with the highest price knife at $6000!

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
99% of the time, my knife is just a box opener.

Same here.
downtownv: It's a neat looking knife but I have no opinion on whether or not you should keep it because I don't carry high-end knives. If I did, I wouldn't want to dull them on common use items.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23896 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I think that if you have no particular attachment to it, such as if it were a gift or inherited from someone, for example, then sell it or gift it to someone.

It is a very nice looking knife, by the way.

Posts: 12166 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
you just can't have too many good knives. You just can't. Keep it.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I voted to keep it.

Posts: 13665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
You are in a business to make money. If you happen to purchase a "pre-owned" item and it fails, and, you get a brand new item from the warranty, why would you not want to sell it? Unless you have some sentimental ties to this, go about your business!

Posts: 3393 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Valid points.

However, if you want to be the knife Dave Truong or 12131, I'm in. Wink Big Grin
Beautiful knife.

Posts: 12427 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It purty. And a Protech. Keep it.

Posts: 697 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a tool. Use it or look for one you will.

Can you get a line on the mid priced case cutters? There's some interesting designs out.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13385 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I'd sell it and get something else I want.

Take advantage of the NIB condition.

Posts: 7414 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have the Godson, but that is a very nice knife. Keep it.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
It seems you have no affinity with this knife. Sell it and buy something you like.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5021 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post