SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Humans need two lives in succession
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Humans need two lives in succession Login/Join 
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I wonder. If we could do it all again but with the wisdom we've already obtained, we could have all the good and none of the bad. Without bad can we enjoy good? Would great times be as great if it was just status quo?

Posts: 3435 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Re: "Interesting to consider, but I'm not sure I have any interest in a synthetic version of me, even if it meant that all I had learned and all my memories were preserved."

Family & other non-significant friends might be uninterested in a ~Me~V2.0 just like their first opportunity. The phrase "there's a marvelous Future Behind Me" could enjoy meaning missed the first time around.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9846 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I almost died from cancer in 2003. So in my own way, I think I've had a second life since then.

In August 2003' I weighed 75 lbs at 5'9".

Not exactly what Para is discussing, but for me grasping life after cancer , and understanding the reality that I was near death has made the succeeding years much different.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Para, my dad use to say " I wish I knew 50 years ago what I know now". He would never say why, I just always assumed he would do things differently.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Ah, Love! could thou and I with Him conspire
To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire, 
Would not we shatter it to bits, and then
Remold it nearer to the heart's desire!

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I like this concept better than the 'do over' concept of reliving your same life knowing what you know. Too many ways to mess up living your same life over again, but living a different life but knowing what you have learned in this life is an interesting concept. Knowing what is really important in life and knowing how to build relationships from a young age would be incredible. I know personally that I spent a lot of years wasted on things and people that were not worthy of the expenditure and I know now how to identify those people and things and how to eliminate them from my life.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Each day I would like to have yesterday back, and do something different.

Posts: 4004 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
In many ways I’m glad that I have not had this burden to bear...I feel that everything I have done, every choice I have ever made has been like the rings flowing outward from tossing a stone into a pond...hopefully more good than bad. I can think of many things that I would have done differently in my life that would be better for me as well as others...but would that be true in the scheme of life? Everything hinges on reality in the real world we live in this minute...Some Decisions are better, some worse...hopefully better out ways worse...that result will come later at judgment.
Goodnight all...I’m sketering off to bed...”my brain hurts”...cue up Monty Python’s “Gumby” videos Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10576 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I am closer to the end than the beginning.
Seen a lot, done a lot.

“The heart is more deceitful than anything else, and incurable - who can understand it?”
Jeremiah 17:9

How does one fix this?

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1297 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I like this concept better than the 'do over' concept of reliving your same life knowing what you know.

That prompted me to reread the original post and understand that it wasn’t the common go back in time and do things differently scenario of such questions. (I complain about lack of reading comprehension, and, as usual, I find myself being guilty of the things I criticize.)

The idea of continuing life by starting over with a new body but with all our memories intact isn’t one I’ve encountered much, but that’s exactly the premise of the book Old Man’s War by John Scalzi. That book, though, isn’t about continuing life as we know it, but at age 70 being removed from Earth, being given a new, highly enhanced body, and being required to serve as a soldier for 10 years (and a high chance of being killed during the period).

After reading the book some years ago I was discussing it with a friend who asked me if I would volunteer for such a program. At the time I said I would, but my life circumstances were different then, and the older I get the less appealing the idea of continuing life becomes.

As for the conditions and scenario parabellum set in the original post, I’m not sure that would appeal to me either even without the complete change of life in Scalzi’s book. I would be very happy if I were given a 20-year-old’s body to live out my remaining allotted years, but I don’t know that I would accept it if it were coupled with the knowledge that my life might continue for another five or six decades.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Interesting to consider, but I'm not sure I have any interest in a synthetic version of me, even if it meant that all I had learned and all my memories were preserved.

I'd trade in this meat suit very quickly if given the chance.

It gets in the way of my consciousness's desires way too often to be fun anymore.

Posts: 7484 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The closest we come to this ideal is good parenting and education passing the knowledge to the next generation.
Reading and understanding history is something each individual can do for themselves.

Posts: 9434 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Reading and understanding history is something each individual can do for themselves.
Where has that gotten us? Look around

Posts: 107180 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As stupid as it sounds this reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons where Homer has a time machine. Each time he used the time machine he did some trivial action which ultimately changed world as he knew it.

This is a hard question because who knows how changing a specific event would snowball further in your life. If you didnt have that fight with your high school girlfriend you would have stayed together, got married and had a family. You would have never met your current wife and not have your kids as you knew them.

Posts: 5404 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I almost died from cancer in 2003. So in my own way, I think I've had a second life since then.

well if that counts as a do over ,
I am on life #4
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54466 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I regularly muse at how we never have it all simultaneously; the vitality of youth, the prosperity of mid-life and the wisdom of age. To do it one would need immortality and time travel......maybe just immortality.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29578 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I disagree. You don't ask a person why they've had a happy life.

The question isn't why, but how.

To me, asking why implies some concept of fate or things being pre-ordained which I refuse to believe in. How is freedom of choice and self fulfilling. Having a happy life is a choice. Once can choose to let the negatives weigh them down or one can choose to overcome them.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11743 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When do we fill out the requestion forms for the next Earth bound life experiance ?

Putting in for:
5 ft. 11 in.
168 lbs.
Brn / grn.
10 1/2 shoe
Play piano / guitar
4.0 grade point avg.
Speak English, Latin french
20-20 eye sight
Four times the income
1/2 as much romance
Read two books per month
Physically fit
1/3 faster metabolism
Plays six card games

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54466 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
being given a new, highly enhanced body,

You didn’t mention the frequent intense and promiscuous sex without consequences.
Actually that’s all I remember of the book.

Seriously, though: I’ve had a lot of patients who felt like they got a “new lease on life” when their heart attack/cardiac arrest/bypass surgery resulted in their realizing there’s a lot they want to live for, and started making themselves better in more ways than one.

Posts: 18000 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
A man who does not make mistakes is a boring man.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post