SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Humans need two lives in succession
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Humans need two lives in succession Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Both of you are surely correct. For some of us, though...

to have to go thru a second life, dealing the the idjits again, may be maddening

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I’m reminded of the Star Trek TNG episode “Tapestry” - where Picard gets to make different choices from his youth again. His life did not turn out the same because he did not make the errors of his youth, which he learned from and that helped form his personality.

Not quite the same but interesting...

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3924 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
I’m reminded of the Star Trek TNG episode “Tapestry” -.

Was thinking about this episode just now.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would certainly like a do-over knowing what I know now. I believe that I could avoid some of the stupid mistakes that I have made in life. But mostly, I would stop to smell the roses along the way. Many folks that are truly driven to a goal just never look up until one day, and they realize that they are old. What happened to the younger years, and what all did I miss doing things this way?? Oh well, we all can wish!!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Like sigfreund said, I really can't complain about my life; I feel very fortunate, however there are some things I'd do differently given the chance.

And at this point in my life, I can say I'd like to add additional healthy years to the "estimated" end.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm not talking about any particular individual. I'm talking about the Human race as a whole. Saying "I've had a good life" misses the point.

Think about the groundwork which could have been laid by all the generations who have come before this one. Think what kind of world this might have been, had humans the opportunity to get it right the second time around.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Sort of like if mankind knew his history he might be able to change his future for the better?

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
You could grow up right with your mom or dad. You on your first time and them on their second go around.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Sort of like if mankind knew his history he might be able to change his future for the better?
If indiviuals knew themselves.

posted Hide Post
our inability to utilize what we have learned from the past experience's
has brought us to this place,
where we are at now as a society.

learning isn't the problem,
making the choice to utilize,
that seems to be the problem.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a recent thread about the worst decision you ever made. Plenty of responses. If I could go back for a do over and avoid some of the mistakes I made, I would have had an easier time of it. And avoided some pain. As I look back on it, most of the mistakes I made were things I didn't do (and should have), rather that things I did and regretted.

The one thing I did do that I regret is this. I actually never had a drinking problem, and in fact have been intoxicated maybe 4 or 5 times in my life total. But in my twenties I spent a lot of times in bars looking for something that was never there. For me every minute of it was a waste.

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Pretty deep and thought provoking for a Friday.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We could always wait until next Tuesday...

posted Hide Post
I gotta thing tuesday , how is wednesday ?

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Wednesday's fine. {pencils it in}

posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I'll have my people call your people to confirm
Big Grin

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
No, thank you. I prefer to stick with having just one life to live. What has happened in a past life isn't much of a guiding light. The days of our lives should just be like sand through the hourglass of time trickling down below but never upwards. Maybe in another world, I would like to build a dynasty watching all my children enjoying the best of everything and being the young and the restless until they grow up to be the bold and the beautiful in the city.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Certainly having knowledge could improve things for the individual and humanity. But so many of our choices are driven by instinct more than knowledge that I’m not sure how much would change. Especially in the area of romance. I’d know what type of women to avoid but I would likely still seek them out.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Do we need a second chance or just the ability to extend lifetimes?

In a few decades, I expect human lifespans will be extendable (so long as one doesn't try to cheat nature too much by smoking, over drinking, being a glutton, listening to the lame stream media, etc.) through biotechnology by 20-30%. Not double mind you, but providing additional time to the middle years should add to human accomplishment... so long as society doesn't extend the onset of responsible adulthood to 35 years of age, like some Millenials would prefer.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The thought of getting another shot at the LeBlanc sisters...
Man-o-man!

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post