SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need pen advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need pen advice Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
What's a good quality retractable ball point pen for under $20.00?

I've been buying the Zebra F301 pens for years, good pen, but I'd like a couple of better quality and nicer pens.

Thanks

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Retro 1951 Tornado.

I use Parker refills in mine.

http://www.retro51.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Snapping Twig,

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Under $20 is going to be hard for a quality pen. May just try to get a good refill from Fischer or the like.

Then again, these are the best use and abuse pens.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parker Jotter. Bought the gel cartridge and really like how it writes.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not sure what 'nicer' means here but I've been using Pilot pens and mech pencils for 30 years.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I've been using the same two Rite in the rain black metal clicker pins for over two years. Still on the original ink cartridges at that, and I used them daily.

I think they were around $15 each.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with the Zebra you are using.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:

Then again, these are the best use and abuse pens.

Interesting trivia: the spring from one of these pens makes a perfect field expedient replacement for a missing buffer tube detent spring in an AR. Come to think of it, I never did bother putting a "correct" spring back in the damn thing.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Retro 1951 Tornado.

I use Parker refills in mine.

http://www.retro51.com/

Agree with the pen, I use Schmidt easy flow 9000 refills.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fisher Military. Also mentioned as the Rite in the Rain pen. Enameled brass pen with a Fisher cartridge. Excellent pen.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Anything Fisher.

Love them.

Posts: 5131 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
I like and use the Zebra F-701 Ballpoint Retractable Pen but i have had my eye on this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HQ83C8?th=1

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Pilot G2 Limited

It has the nicer housing than the regular G2. Under $10 and writes super smooth, especially the 0.7

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OKCGene, this thread is fortuitous because I was actually just getting ready to karma off this pen:

https://www.machine-era.com/pr...-era-pen-solid-brass

It really doesn't meet any of your criteria Razz

It's a screw cap and it takes pilot G2G refills which are gel rollers, not ballpoint.

But if you are interested and think you could use it I'd be glad to instant karma it to you.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
OKCGene, this thread is fortuitous because I was actually just getting ready to karma off this pen:

https://www.machine-era.com/pr...-era-pen-solid-brass

It really doesn't meet any of your criteria Razz

It's a screw cap and it takes pilot G2G refills which are gel rollers, not ballpoint.

But if you are interested and think you could use it I'd be glad to instant karma it to you.

Wow wonderful. I'd love it! Thank you. Thats so kind and generous of you.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I hacked a Zebra 701 to replace the plastic top with a stainless one....you can see the hack at this linky

But I like the way the standard military black pen (Skilcraft) writes smoothly...the Zebra inks are thick and so is the Fisher Space Pen cartridges....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parker makes a wonderful Jotter ballpoint pen , costs beteek
n $18 and $22, depending on the finish. JetPens sells them. I have 2 of these pens, one filled with regular Parker ballpoint refills, and the other filled with a Parker Gelpen refill.

https://www.jetpens.com/Ballpo...?&f=9dcfa9fe81e6436e

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sidss1,

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:
n $18 and $22, depending on the finish. JetPens sells them. I have 2 of these pens, one filled with regular Parker ballpoint refills, and the other filled with a Parker Gelpen refill.

I have a few vintage Parker Pens, and thought I would go cheap on refills, as in buying them off ebay,

out of 16 refills (buying from a couple places in bulk, one worked,

sent the rest back

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sidss1:

Yep!

I was just logging on to suggest the Parker Ball Jotter. I prefer a "fine" tip...have been using this pen for many MANY years.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12324 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Pilot G2 Limited Edition. It's $9 and uses gel ink refills. Nearly everyone I loan it to is amazed by it. Nice heft, rubber grip, metal body. Additionally, you can buy the less expensive plastic version in multi-packs.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post