SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    High Voltage Lines
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Voltage Lines Login/Join 
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
The resale value is the biggest concern. People worry about high-power transmission lines, but you get more radiation from the electric wires in the walls of your house or the electric blanket you sleep under.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I find that a bit hard to believe LC.

I have walked near them. When raining it is kind of interested listening to them. I personally feel like you can feel them when in close proximity to them. I would not want children, especially anywhere near them regularly.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Electromagnetic radiation is subject to the inverse square law. The intensity is proportional to the inverse of the distance squared. In other words, a little distance makes a lot of difference in intensity. That's why wearing a low intensity source close to you, such as a cell phone to your ear or an electric blanket over you, subjects you to more radiation than those 500kV lines running 200 feet behind your house.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I knew I would get great feedback from the sigforum. Now I must convince a 27 year old daughter that she should keep looking. Wish me luck......

Welcome to my home, that door you just kicked in, was locked for your protection, not mine.

Posts: 79 | Location: South St. Louis | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
Electromagnetic radiation is subject to the inverse square law. The intensity is proportional to the inverse of the distance squared. In other words, a little distance makes a lot of difference in intensity. That's why wearing a low intensity source close to you, such as a cell phone to your ear or an electric blanket over you, subjects you to more radiation than those 500kV lines running 200 feet behind your house.

Partially true. Yes it is and inverse square relationship, but you have to actually do a calculation to figure out which is higher EMF.

Go stand under high voltage transmission lines and tell me you can't feel the electricity. Then go stand next to you refrigerator or use your cellphone and tell me if you feel the same effect.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishbone41:
Thanks for all the replies. I knew I would get great feedback from the sigforum. Now I must convince a 27 year old daughter that she should keep looking. Wish me luck......

Easy, tell her that she will periodically have creepy guys in her backyard staring into her windows while they're working on the power lines.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Go stand under high voltage transmission lines and tell me you can't feel the electricity. Then go stand next to you refrigerator or use your cellphone and tell me if you feel the same effect.

Posting from directly under 100 kV lines inside a distribution substation....I don’t feel shit ( and the clearances are much less inside the fence).

I have seen charge develop on vehicles that weren’t grounded in a 230 kV station though.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
quote:

Posting from directly under 100 kV lines inside a distribution substation....I don’t feel shit ( and the clearances are much less inside the fence).

I have seen charge develop on vehicles that weren’t grounded in a 230 kV station though.

My guess for why that might be is that you have electricity moving different directions so you get some cancelation of the EMF and induction. Also the wires are likely close enough to have canceling effect. With a power going in a straight line you get more EMF and induction. If I were to run just one leg of power through metal pipe or near a metal pipe it will actually heat the pipe, so we are required to run all phases and neutral together in the same pipe so that it cancels out that effect. Also try it under a higher KV line.

When I was a kid we'd go to this reservoir that had transmission lines running through them and it would make you hair on the back of the neck stick up and if you stood there long enough it would induce a charge into you. Touch a buddy that was wearing shoes while you weren't and you could see a spark when touching them. That tells me you are picking up a charge.

ETA

Here are some experiments for fun. All you need is a screw driver, spark plug, some wire and a hunk of metal supported on wood or rubber.

------------

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The funny part is when the folks who worry about EMF and drive up in an electric car.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not! Hell no! I wouldn't buy a house anywhere near the high voltage transmission lines. You have just killed the resale. I have heard of schools being torn down and relocated because they were built near these lines.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
use your cellphone

Using a cell phone and being worried about power lines- That's funny.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
use your cellphone

Using a cell phone and being worried about power lines- That's funny.

I'm not worried about being around power lines, if I was I'd be really bad at my job. I am only saying that you can become charged from being near them. I'll leave up to whoever to decide if that matters to them or if they think EMF dangers are legit. Personally I'm not living under a power line, but I'm sure as hell not taking any steps to eliminate EMF.

There is a huge number of reasons besides EMF to not want to live under or in extremely close proximity to them. I'd be concerned about the resale value and right of ways first.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
How would they affect my AM reception?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
My business was selling and installing high end playsets - swings, forts, slides, etc. The primary construction material was redwood. Metal components here and there like ladder rungs, hardware, swing hangers and the like.

We installed a playset in a back yard once with a high voltage power line easement about 75 yards away. I got a call from the owners the next day claiming the set was electrified. Made no sense to me. But I went to investigate, and sure enough, touch any metal on the set and you got a mild unpleasant shock. The set was primarily wood and plastic, and every part in contact with the ground was wood, so I was baffled. Homeowners called the power company to investigate, who claimed everything was normal. I ended up taking the set back, and the homeowners who had recently purchased the house were consulting a lawyer trying to figure a way out.

I thought the claims by activists about electrical fields were utter BS to that point. Now, I'm not so sure, but after my experience I damn sure wouldn't buy property near them.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
My business was selling and installing high end playsets - swings, forts, slides, etc. The primary construction material was redwood. Metal components here and there like ladder rungs, hardware, swing hangers and the like.

We installed a playset in a back yard once with a high voltage power line easement about 75 yards away. I got a call from the owners the next day claiming the set was electrified. Made no sense to me. But I went to investigate, and sure enough, touch any metal on the set and you got a mild unpleasant shock. The set was primarily wood and plastic, and every part in contact with the ground was wood, so I was baffled. Homeowners called the power company to investigate, who claimed everything was normal. I ended up taking the set back, and the homeowners who had recently purchased the house were consulting a lawyer trying to figure a way out.

I thought the claims by activists about electrical fields were utter BS to that point. Now, I'm not so sure, but after my experience I damn sure wouldn't buy property near them.

That, and several other good reason's safety-wise is why every piece of equipment in Substations and/or power plants are grounded. If any kind of playset of mostly non-conductive materials are picking up any kind of charge I'd definitely be concerned. If our equipment in the stations had bad or no grounds, touching them could be lethal. Just getting bit by static charges in the air up on well grounded structures is enough to command respect to the capabilities and otherwise potential harm that can be done by electricity.

It's sometimes baffling to investigate incident and/or equipment failures in my years of experience working in Substations, both distribution and transmission. Thick metal tower frames melted like butter and often the rocks and sand fused together like glass is enough to count your lucky stars you weren't in close proximity to what had occurred. Thick porcelain insulators that had exploded and razor sharp chunks and shards found many yards from the point of contact. Electricity just has inconceivable potential for harm as well as good, when used according to principles and rules. I wish I took more photo's of stuff I've seen and personally witnessed.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can change the carpet and kitchen, you cant change those power lines. Dont settle for something you cant control.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Pacific Gas & Electric power lines caused California's 'deadliest and most destructive wildfire': officials . Yet another reason not to live under the lines.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
I would purchase a Gauss meter, and test the EM fields. The Tri-field meter works very well. Having worked with mechanical-electrical equipment for 30 years, I guarantee you that there is a health risk if you are too close. If the meter reads anything but zero, I would avoid this property.

https://www.trifield.com/product/trifield-emf-meter/

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I had also purchased a meter back when I was working in Substations. I had a little more faith in the analog for the high voltages and fields I worked within. Like a trusty Simpson, it worked flawlessly. The amount of EMF encountered was a bit hair raising at times, and expected, it was just interesting to know in proximity to the equipment. You'd even be surprised at the EMF reading the floorboard location of the transmission in your car gives off, or at least mine did Eek

My trusty TriField..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post