SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Girl's foot is mauled by Muskie in local lake
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Girl's foot is mauled by Muskie in local lake Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I enjoy catching fish that want to try a little of you on. Pike here in the Yoop. Muskies are less common here. Have only caught one.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Nature is master"

Ora Seale, my M.I.L.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

Muskies can be aggressive and are territorial.
They will suspend in the water and attack anything that comes near.

That sounds a lot like a freshwater version of a barracuda.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Video of a couple guys catching a Muskie on a known Muskie lake Lake Vermillion in Minnesota.
a 52" Muskie which is not all that unusual of a size.

Someone suggested the girl got cut on rocks. Not likely. She felt the bite and kicked it away with her other foot. She was sitting on a paddle board after her dad been pulling it around. I'm sure the fish was in the area seen her foot dangling and got aggressive.

Muskies don't scare from boat activity like most fish. One technique for fishing them is high speed surface trolling.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I thought how mangled can the foot get but those are very long and very deep gashes.

I'd be crying like a little girl; I'm sure she did, too.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
She might not have. Some little kids are like the toughest Marines, they get injured but keep going.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've had my fingers buggered up taking lure out of the mouth's of a Pike.

I realize her bite(s) were more involved. There are a lot of razor sharp teeth in those mouths.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid...my fingers got ripped up pretty good by a chain pickerel (Muskie lite)...it took awhile to heal and hurt like hell...I feel for that girl. She is way tougher than most of her peers...bravo to her Smile. She will grow old and have a story to tell (with scars).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Poor kid, that's a fish story that you never want

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Muskies can be aggressive and are territorial.
They will suspend in the water and attack anything that comes near.

Except my fishing lure.

Mental note - when swimming in Island Lake wear chainmail.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are propeller cuts - the size,angle and texture of those wounds completely rule out the tale they are spinning.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Those are propeller cuts - the size,angle and texture of those wounds completely rule out the tale they are spinning.

Confused

Yes. I agree completely. I didn’t bother looking at the photo earlier, but now that I have, I can’t imagine mistaking those wounds as something made by a fish with many needle-like teeth.

This shows what I would expect from a musky attack.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

Confused

Yes. I agree completely.

There are other photos showing additional wounds on the medial aspect of her lower leg that would be inconsistent with a prop strike.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
There are other photos showing additional wounds on the medial aspect of her lower leg that would be inconsistent with a prop strike.

Are they linked at the original?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Are they linked at the original?

No. The small B&Ws show it.

http://www.wdio.com/news/dulut...island-lake/4548348/

Beyond photo evidence, this was witnessed by other family members and other boaters helped with first aid within minutes. The girl and her family sure got their fish story together quickly if Dad really ran her over (twice) with the boat. BTW it was a 5HP on a small boat, not a high performance ski boat.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can’t imagine mistaking those wounds as something made by a fish with many needle-like teeth

Muskie and pike have needle-like teeth along the outside of their mouths, but they also have curved, sharp teeth inside, almost like the fangs of a snake. And there are a lot more in there than the two a snake has. I can totally believe that those wounds were made by a large muskie.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
This guy dropped a Muskie in his boat. Look at the wounds:

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EO9BWe9HNDk

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scary to think back to how many times we went skinny dipping in Minnesota lakes during my youth.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
No. The small B&Ws show it.

Okay, I’ve changed my mind. Thanks. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato