SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Girl's foot is mauled by Muskie in local lake
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Girl's foot is mauled by Muskie in local lake Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Here in the land of 10,000 lakes we see some pretty big fish on occasion. Sturgeon are the biggest followed by the Muskie and then it's smaller cousin the Northern Pike. The Muskie can get up to and larger than 50 inches long and well over 40lbs.

Muskies can be aggressive and are territorial.
They will suspend in the water and attack anything that comes near. I'm guessing this is what happened to this young girl. She must have been terrified!

Graphic picture at the end of the linked story.
Link to story

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Poor girl. Yeah, that must've been a bit terrifying.

It really did a number on her foot. At least she still has all her little toes.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Holy crap!! Terrible!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Great. Freshwater sharks. Next thing you know we'all see snow sharks.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
River Monsters, Jermey Wade did a hunt for Muskies in Canada after a young girl had her foot lacerated. Seems her bright red toe nail polish had attracted a large Muskie while dangling her feet off the boat dock. YIKES! Fresh water Barracuda!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
This happened in Duluth, which is where I grew up. Never swam in that lake, but used to fish it quite heavily. Musky and Pike are no joke, I'll never forget the morning a large Northern attacked my stringer of walleye hanging off the boat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
That lake is about a half hour drive for me. I ice fish once in awhile and been to a couple tournaments on that lake. Never seen a Muskie come out of it but lots of big northern.
Those who target Muskie don't seem to fish that lake so it's not known as a Muskie lake to my knowledge. That may change now.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local lake is known for it's Muskie's, but I don't recall of ever hearing about an attack like this.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A police officer from a nearby town hand-caught a musky that latched onto his foot dangling over the side of his canoe at Governor Dodge State Park. His foot was pretty tore up, he had to go to the hospital.

He was charged by the DNR for fishing without a license, and the fish was seized for being slightly undersize. The charges were eventually dropped, and he had to fight to get the fish back, but eventually did.

I've been bitten by pike (musky's cousin for the non-fishermen) before. I don't mean I had my hand too close to their teeth, I mean defensively bitten by them when handling in the net. Nothing like that poor girl in the link above, that's just terrible!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Those are some serious wounds. She sounds like a pretty tough little kid though.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
That's a really fluke accident. Muskies are mean fish, though. They are essentially a Northern Pike's bigger, meaner, big cousin. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I used to fish Northern Pike near Green Bay as a kid. We'd hang a minnow on a hook with a length of steel leader and the fun began.

We always wore leather gloves and had an 18" baseball bat to land the buggers.

Chomp Chomp

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Maybe the rocks did it?

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Maybe the rocks did it?

Those would have to be some razor sharp rocks.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Maybe the rocks did it?

Yeah, those who have been cut by underwater rocks know. I know the article says she had 25 cuts, but the ones on the foot/ankle (most likely the biggest ones, and that's why they show them, right?) suggest something other than the fish.

Also, wasn't she being towed behind the boat, according to the article? Propeller blade injury, maybe?

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Maybe the rocks did it?

Yeah, those who have been cut by underwater rocks know. I know the article says she had 25 cuts, but the ones on the foot/ankle (most likely the biggest ones, and that's why they show them, right?) suggest something other than the fish.

Also, wasn't she being towed behind the boat, according to the article? Propeller blade injury, maybe?

Those cuts one her foot look a lot like the cuts manatees get when hit by a propeller.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
That's a really fluke accident. Muskies are mean fish, though. They are essentially a Northern Pike's bigger, meaner, big cousin. . .

Fluke accident? Did it flounder about?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Near Mansfield, Ohio there is a reservoir where Muskies are "farmed" for their eggs. They use an electric shock to bring the muskie to the surface where they are "milked" and it typically ends up on the local news nearly every year with a report the years largest "catch". It is not unusual at all for Muskies over 60 lbs. to be brought up and one year they reported a 67 lbs. Muskie. BTW, don't know if that is with eggs or after milking but suspect that in the interest of maximizing the weight for a news report it's before the fish are "milked".

Still that's a really large fish and I still remember a story a co-worker telling about a Muskie dragging him and his 14 foot john boat from one end of the reservoir to the other, total trip took about 2 hours and he never could get the fish close enough to see just how big it was.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yikes, poor thing. Prayer for a full recovery. That is a very serious injury!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131: I know the article says she had 25 cuts, but the ones on the foot/ankle (most likely the biggest ones, and that's why they show them, right?) suggest something other than the fish.

The lower teeth of a muskie are quite long and spread apart. I could picture that happening from a grab and thrash bite.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post