SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ant problem, any answers?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ant problem, any answers? Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted
Everyone, I've got an ant problem. I'm not sure what kind of ants they are but I'm thinking they're fire ants. I've never heard of them in this part of the country but it appears they're here now. Anyone know how to get rid of the damned things?
I've already been bitten about 25 times on the foot before I even knew they were on me. They're mean little bastards.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Terro Ant bait, and Terro powder.

Works very well at getting rid of ants.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Extingu...eywords=extinish+ant

the best I have used, it is a bait and takes a little while to work, it sterilizes the queen

Make it count

Posts: 1411 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The baits seem to work the best.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
In the house, or in the yard? I believe you will use different products, based on where the bastards are located.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I've never had success with the Terro products. They tend to kill ants, almost on contact, which is not what you want to do.

I find the Raid Double Black Ant Bates work in two or three days. The poison in the Terro product is great, and very effective, but the Raid product will be taken back to the nest to poison the rest of the hive.

Or, you could just nuke your house from orbit, just the be sure.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
AMDRO is made specifically to kill fire ants, it is a bait that works well. I can assure you there are fire ants in your area. You can buy it at hardware stores, Lowes, etc. Should take care of it, but they will continue to move in from surrounding untreated areas.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terro is all I use and they work great. Never had them come back to the same area.

The ants take the terro back to the hill and it kills all of them.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
Anyone know how to get rid of the damned things?
Use Boric Acid powder, aka Roach Powder. Safe around kids and pets, inexpensive, very effective, and impossible for the ants to build an immunity to it.

A few minutes with Google will yield good info on how to use it properly.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
In the house, or in the yard? I believe you will use different products, based on where the bastards are located.

I should have been more specific. They're in the yard. I found about 6-7 hills in the yard yesterday and had only seen one before then. I put some ant killer I had on the hills and it pissed them off, I think.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All you can do is hope for control. Amdro controls them, but they are here to stay. No natural predators. Treat in late afternoon and scatter around the mound. You can get some satisfaction by watching the worker ants scurry around and bring the poison into the mound. They do all the work. They banned Mirex years ago which was pretty effective in control.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I should have been more specific. They're in the yard. I found about 6-7 hills in the yard yesterday and had only seen one before then. I put some ant killer I had on the hills and it pissed them off, I think.

The ORTHO fire ant granules work really well......drop a cup down each mound, then use a fertilizer spreader and do the entire yard as per directions.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Amdro will solve your problem.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Buy the good stuff here.

https://store.doyourownpestcon...ducts/kill-fire-ants

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thezoltar:
Amdro will solve your problem.

Amazon list several types of Amdro. They have one of two completely different active ingredients.
Some are made with: Hydramethylnon (1.0%)
Some are made with: Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate (5.4%)

Which one is the one to get for direct application around the hills?

I had 3 or 4 hills last summer and just today mowing saw 7 or 8.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
1. Pour gas on the mound.
2. Set on fire.
3. Put out fire with ice pick.

The gas and fire do absolutely nothing, but the ice pick, you might get a few of the bastards, and you'll be so damned tired when you finish, you won't give a shit about the survivors, and likely stay indoors, in the AC, watching TV and sipping a beer, like God intended...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Ants were out of control around my bee hives this summer. I went out at night when the girls were all inside and douched the area around the hives with 30% permethrin. Haven't seen one ant since.

I also had an issue with an ant hill in one of my raised beds. I tried just about everything organic I could think of including boiling water and nothing worked. Then I read about boric acid powder and I happened to have a box in the garage. I sprinkled a perimeter around the raised bed and they never came back.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
2 natural solutions:
Baking soda or DE (FOOD GRADE!) in a food jar lid
https://www.amazon.com/Root-Na...e+diatomaceous+earth

Both work, ants will be gone.
Safe no chemicals. No Danger to pets.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind we are talking about fire ants here. Some of the natural remedies that are effective against black ants will not work for fire ants.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Termidore generic (Taurus SC) will kill them. They cant detect it and they carry it to the queen. Some ants if they detect a poison will spread and create new nests. Google ant budding.

Posts: 12581 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post