SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sharpening kitchen knives?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sharpening kitchen knives? Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
cutco knifes. toss all the rest expensive yes but dang are they sharp. American made lifetime warranty. I have heard good things about the work sharp but I will send them back to cutco when they get dull. which from what I hear takes years.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
cutco knifes. toss all the rest expensive yes but dang are they sharp. American made lifetime warranty. I have heard good things about the work sharp but I will send them back to cutco when they get dull. which from what I hear takes years.

Gimme an afternoon with one and I'll dull that sumbitch up no problem. Big Grin

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Chef's Choice and similar mini grinding wheels make it really easy to screw up a good knife.

They are electric, so you can quickly remove more metal than you need to. People can't control the pressure they pull them through with, so they tend to put more downward pressure on the blade near the handle (where they have more leverage) and less near the point. Over time, this puts a concave edge on the knife. My dad has several knives that look like that.

Other than not being electric, other pull-through systems have the same problems.

You're better off learning to sharpen on flat stones. It takes more effort, but once you learn the skill of it, it isn't hard. I like diamond stones. They cut quick (but not like an electric), and clean easily.

Jig systems like the Work Sharp (still electric) or Wicked Edge seem to work well, and offer less possibility for error. I haven't used them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ I don’t think most people would consider a mini belt grinder a “jig”. Jigs are fixtures which hold things at certain angles. The worksharp doesn’t really do this (Even though it has a setting on a guide for a secondary bevel angle, it is spring loaded and falls away easily); rather it is just a small belt grinder which is generally the main stay up any knife makers tool Kit.

Japanese water stones are great… As I mentioned before they can be quite meditative however they do take time especially if there is a fairly dull edge and you have to go through all the grit levels i.e. 400, 1000 2000 5000 and up then honing on a strop. More so, there is a learning curve teaching your hands wrists and arms all to hold a common angle for both left and right sides of the edge. It took me a couple of weeks to learn that. That does make for a hair Poppin sharp edge, but so does the worksharp.

It’s a tedious process which I often enjoy. But if you need to sharpen a knife quickly Or put an edge on a knife were none exist, the worksharp is a great little solution.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How’s it work?

Waiting for “range report”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
How’s it work?

Tried cheapest knife I have $5 cleaver my mom gave me 20 years ago. Came out semi sharp. Next I tried low end henkels knife. Sliced paper like a champ. Used 25° for cleaver and 17.5° on chef's knife. Used 120 grit on both to reprofile edges, then went through coarse to hone bands to sharpen and hone.

Afterwards went on YouTube, watched a number of videos. Found I was drawling knife to slowly and likely too much pressure. Will try on my better knives later today or over weekend. I am thus far satisfied with my purchase and look forward to results on better steel with a little more knowledge and practice.

What degree are you guys setting for your high end kitchen blades?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

What degree are you guys setting for your high end kitchen blades?

I use 12 degrees based on some nerd work that I did. I think it is the angle or the nearest whole angle at which the amount of material is proportionately the same between the bevels as measured anywhere along the hypotenuse of the bevel.

A good book of sharpening I read which is considered the "bible" of sharpening written by someone who made a living off sharpening knives used by working people said that to get a knife as sharp as it can be is to rub off the fancy deer etching on the side. I forget what kind of bevel that's called but the bevel effective goes all the way from the edge of the spine flat to the edge. Some people believe in putting in a microbevel to make the edge last longer also.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
How’s it work?

I started with a 10” Wusthoff chef’s knife. I set the machine to 20 degrees and worked through three belts. After 10 minutes, the knife sliced up paper with no hesitation.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I forget what kind of bevel that's called but the bevel effective goes all the way from the edge of the spine flat to the edge.

Full flat grind, or Zero grind.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Chef's Choice and similar mini grinding wheels make it really easy to screw up a good knife.

They are electric, so you can quickly remove more metal than you need to. People can't control the pressure they pull them through with, so they tend to put more downward pressure on the blade near the handle (where they have more leverage) and less near the point. Over time, this puts a concave edge on the knife. My dad has several knives that look like that.

Other than not being electric, other pull-through systems have the same problems.

You're better off learning to sharpen on flat stones. It takes more effort, but once you learn the skill of it, it isn't hard. I like diamond stones. They cut quick (but not like an electric), and clean easily.

Jig systems like the Work Sharp (still electric) or Wicked Edge seem to work well, and offer less possibility for error. I haven't used them.

Agree. Another advantage of the diamond stones is that they stay utterly flat – never hollow out.

I recommend long stones that allow a long stroke. I like the DMT 11-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 3/8" continuous surface stones (actual a slab of SS). They've available with a large range of grits.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
A few guys have said they have an Edge Pro / Edge pro Apex. I found this video a few years ago. Been drooling over something like this, but have never pulled the trigger.

Good video.

For some reason this video keeps starting at approximately 11:00 minutes. You need to manually start it from the beginning. I tried several times to fix it, and gave up.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
My Spyderco Sharpmaker seems so plebian after reading this thread, but its done well for me.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
A few guys have said they have an Edge Pro / Edge pro Apex. I found this video a few years ago. Been drooling over something like this, but have never pulled the trigger.

Good video.

For some reason this video keeps starting at approximately 11:00 minutes. You need to manually start it from the beginning. I tried several times to fix it, and gave up.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/liJKYgO_P3I" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I'm considering becoming an Apex dealer, if anyone is interested in getting in let me know (e-mail mdmllc@sbcglobal.net). I need to get enough orders together for a buy in, if I buy a lot on my first order it will take me forever to sell them so I prefer to get people ahead of time interested.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post