SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sharpening kitchen knives?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sharpening kitchen knives? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I have a variety of DMT diamond stones and have developed the skill to use them manually over decades. I also have a DMT guided system that probably does a better job than I can manually, but it takes longer and is just a little bit better than manual. I have a full rack of German kitchen knives and all are razor sharp. I wash them carefully and my family does the same. They have constant use for over 30 years and the most used one is barely changed from when it was new.

My wife dragged me to a thrift store last month and I was looking at the knives. One looked good, but it certainly was a cheap copy of a German Henckels. It was a Henckels 4 star 10" scalloped slicing knife that retails for $110. The sticker on it was for $1.20. It was dull but had never been sharpened which likely would have damaged it. It matches my set I bought with money from my wedding over 30 years ago. Great for slicing strip steaks off a strip loin and cutting chops off a pork loin.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've been dancing with all the various methods of knife sharpening for well over 50 years and finally settled on the Chefs Choice. We picked it up off Amazon a few years back for around a hundred bucks as I remember.

Our Kitchen knives are Wusthof and it does a wonderful job with them.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I use a Wicked Edge system for all mine!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
For the kitchen knives, I use the Lansky Bladematic. It has a carbide v groove and a ceramic v groove for simple sharpening.

Link

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
You guys just cost me $129.00. I just ordered the Ken Onion Work Sharp from Amazon. At least I got free one day shipping and it should arrive tomorrow. Added bonus: Made in the USA!

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I use a Chefs Choice electric sharpener on all of my knives. Have never ruined a knife or wore it out prematurely, granted I do not sharpen my knives daily.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Lots of good feedback.
Thank you.

Can the stones (wheels? grinders?) inside the Chefs Choice be replaced?

How difficult is it to swap the belts on the Work Sharp?
How much do the replacement belts cost?

Has anyone used BOTH the Chefs Choice and the Work Sharp side-by-side?

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Will the Work Sharp work with left handed chefs knives?

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Belts are stupid easy to replace on the Work Sharp and the whole set is around $10-$15.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've been using Marzy's Wicked Edge system on mine.
They're STUPID sharp!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
You guys just cost me $129.00. I just ordered the Ken Onion Work Sharp from Amazon. At least I got free one day shipping and it should arrive tomorrow. Added bonus: Made in the USA!

Yeah screw you guys. Damn it SIGforum just cost me again. You guys are a horrible influence and have caused me to spend thousands of dollars. I hope you feel good, my bank account doesn't like you all at all.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With a Chef's Choice and patience, I made all my European knives into the sharper Asian style. Very sharp. Very pleased.

Posts: 103 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:

Yeah screw you guys. Damn it SIGforum just cost me again. You guys are a horrible influence and have caused me to spend thousands of dollars. I hope you feel good, my bank account doesn't like you all at all.

2nd only to Palmetto Big Grin

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Oh, I have a drawer full of kitchen knife sharpers; maybe $300 worth. Now I use this pull-through sharpener Ni brothers . $12 bucks, works great for Japanese knives and will convert the angle on American knives and sharpens ceramic. Quick and easy, well made.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Ken Onion Work Sharp arrives today before 8pm. I know what I'm doing after work. Going to start with the only cheap knife I own and learn how to work the machine, then I'm sharpening every, and I mean everything probably do my mower blade too while I'm at it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Wicked edge.

Same here, Wicked Edge works great. I have the Work Sharp but it takes too much metal off.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
My advice to you is not to use the angle guide.

The rubber will leave a scratch mark on your tall flat blades and it's not a precision guide. If you have to and care about scratch marks on soft metal, then tape the knife.

It's better to mount the work sharp on a tripod if you have one and use two hands to manually guide your knife over the belt. It has rubber feet so it shouldn't slide but with the vibration it usually does. You can control the angle and get long sweeping passes easier then running it through the guide with two hands.

You can easily see your angle on the belt this way. I put the blade perpendicular to the belt, then halve that to 45 then halve that to 22.5 and that gives me a visual of where about I want to be, a little less for slicing, a little more for choping. Sounds harder then it is.

Just try to do an equal number of passes on each side and remember to feel a burr down the whole length of the blade before moving on to the next grit.

There is a company called micro surface, I buy the belts from them for AO belts, its cheaper and they are good quality. micro surface belt page

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:
Wow! Lots of good feedback.
Thank you.

Can the stones (wheels? grinders?) inside the Chefs Choice be replaced?

How difficult is it to swap the belts on the Work Sharp?
How much do the replacement belts cost?

Has anyone used BOTH the Chefs Choice and the Work Sharp side-by-side?

Yes, I have. Throw the chefs choice away. The work sharp is a great little tool, which I use fairly frequently. The other tool I use are Japanese whetstones mostly from Chosara. Using a wet stone is far more meditative and takes quite some time/commitment to learn and use.

Ken onion worksharp works great. Be aware however it only produces a convex edge which is usually just fine for most purposes.

A belt change takes less than 15 seconds.

Folks should understand the genesis of the Ken O work-sharp … It comes from the fact that knife makers all use a belt grinder to shape knives (Mostly the primary bevel/flat, however the secondary bevel/edge can be done this way too with a bit of care). The work sharp is a miniature version of a professional tool (which is generally much larger 2“ x 72“ belts vs these tiny things on the work-sharp).

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Don't do it!!! OK, if you're the one using them I guess no one can complain.

My story, 50 some odd years ago...:
I'd been working on knife sharpening. That skill was what they call a "manly skill" something everyone who claims to be a man should know. Similar to cutting the grass or changing oil.

So one day when I didn't have anything else to do, I got the entire knife drawer from my mothers kitchen and set to work. One after the other, I made them sharp enough to please me. I'd done a pretty good job, and was sure my mother would appreciate it.

So Mom and Dad came home from work (we were poor and both worked). They changed clothes and mom started supper while dad sat down to read the paper. In a couple of minutes, mom screamed. Just like in the B grade horror movies. Dad was up and running. My mother had horrible knife handling skills. She'd been cutting some veggie against her thumb. The last thing she expected was a sharp knife. The cut wasn't deep or serious, but it was my fault.

And dad knew instantly who'd done it. So he pulled out the knife drawer and went out to the back porch. There he proceeded to dull down every knife that would cut something. Concrete porch, right at the steps. All i'd accomplished was to remove some working life from every knife.

My wife has a bunch of dull knives. I only rarely use them. I have one knife I use these days. It a damascus bladed Boker. It lives in its original box with a plastic sheath over it. I once bought my wife a nice ceramic knife. Within a year what formerly was an edge was more like a sawtooth of chips. She tossed it in the sink or dishwasher with other things. Its not easy living like this.

I ALWAYS warn everyone that I've just sharpened the knives in the kitchen - because as they dull, people do get into bad habits and need to be reminded so they don't cut a finger off...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started out with stones years ago, I could get knives shaving sharp with them. Now due to arthritis stones are no longer a option, neither is my lansky set.
Now I use a work sharp, again with little stress on my wrists I can get knives shaving sharp, as they lose their edge I use crock sticks to true up the the edge.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post