SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guess who is a visiting fellow at Harvard?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guess who is a visiting fellow at Harvard? Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
You truly can't make this stuff up.

Link

Chelsea Manning Named Visiting Fellow at Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics

BY: Conor Beck
September 13, 2017 12:10 pm

The John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University has named convicted felon and transgender activist Chelsea Manning as a visiting fellow at its Institute of Politics for the 2017-18 academic year.

Harvard's announcement of its incoming class of visiting fellows at the Institute of Politics celebrates Manning's inclusion as the program's "first transgender fellow."

The Kennedy School describes Manning in its press release as "a Washington, D.C. based network security expert and former U.S. Army intelligence analyst."

"She speaks on the social, technological, and economic ramifications of Artificial Intelligence through her op-ed columns for the Guardian and the New York Times," the announcement says. "As a trans woman, she advocates for queer and transgender rights as @xychelsea on Twitter."

The description also mentions Manning's imprisonment for leaking troves of classified U.S. documents, before former President Barack Obama commuted most of her 35-year sentence in January.

"Following her court martial conviction in 2013 for releasing confidential military and State Department documents, President Obama commuted her 35-year sentence, citing it as ‘disproportionate' to the penalties faced by other whistleblowers," Harvard's announcement says. "She served seven years in prison."

Manning's Twitter page, which Harvard specifically referenced, currently has her pinned tweet as a call to "abolish the presidency."

Other visiting fellows for this academic year include former White House press secretary Sean Spicer; Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign manager, Robby Mook; and Kansas City, Mo. Mayor Sylvester "Sly" James, Jr. (D.).

The Institute of Politics' acting director, Bill Delahunt, celebrated the diversity of viewpoints represented in the new class of fellows.

"Broadening the range and depth of opportunity for students to hear from and engage with experts, leaders, and policy-shapers is a cornerstone of the Institute of Politics. We welcome the breadth of thought-provoking viewpoints on race, gender, politics, and the media," Delahunt said.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
God, I can't believe they called him a "fellow". How offensive. Time to riot.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Does he still pack a pecker?
Or did they pic a peck of Mannings pecker?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Why shouldn't this guy girl thing be a fellow? (Fellowess?)

We are living with fools.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
He should not be alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The irony of him (yes, him) being designated a 'fellow' is delicious.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
His next stop is dancing at the Paper Moon. We expect a report from you. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They let it out of Leavenworth? When did that happen?

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Good trade, you can have him.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
He should be panhandling under a bridge somewhere. Sad when Harvard designates this "person" as a Fellow...a title usually reserved for academics of note. Not a traitorous piece of crap.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
In a sane world the value of a harvard degree just dropped 75%

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:

"She he speaks on the social, technological, and economic ramifications of Artificial Intelligence through her his op-ed columns for the Guardian and the New York Times," the announcement says. "As a trans woman, she he advocates for queer and transgender rights as @xychelsea on Twitter."

I hate typos.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
[sarcasm]Seems legit. It is as easy as self-identifying as a scholar much like self-identifying as a female. After all, how else do you reward a "scholar" who has never set foot in a college classroom?[/sarcasm]

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I guess that at Harvard, being in prison counts as being the same thing on a year-to-year basis. "Seven years? That's, like, a Bachelor's degree and a Masters and, and, like a full year in a PhD program!"

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The only reason God has not rained fire and brimstone down places like Harvard is that there are still some good people around there, I'm sure.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot, I can't really even remember if he was a she before she was a he or if she became a he after she or he joined the military.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Kennedy School describes Manning in its press release as "a Washington, D.C. based network security expert and former U.S. Army intelligence analyst."

Wasn't this guy something like a PFC? Calling him a "U.S. Army intelligence analyst" is a bit of a stretch.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Wasn't this guy something like a PFC? Calling him a "U.S. Army intelligence analyst" is a bit of a stretch.

PFC or not, he was an intelligence analyst.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess the boys at Leavenworth ran out of stamps and cigarettes.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I hope he sues Harvard for using the wrong pronoun Roll Eyes

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post