SIGforum
Guess who is a visiting fellow at Harvard?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8860023034

September 13, 2017, 07:35 PM
FiveFiveSixFan
Guess who is a visiting fellow at Harvard?
You truly can't make this stuff up.

Link

Chelsea Manning Named Visiting Fellow at Harvard Kennedy School’s Institute of Politics

BY: Conor Beck
September 13, 2017 12:10 pm

The John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University has named convicted felon and transgender activist Chelsea Manning as a visiting fellow at its Institute of Politics for the 2017-18 academic year.

Harvard's announcement of its incoming class of visiting fellows at the Institute of Politics celebrates Manning's inclusion as the program's "first transgender fellow."

The Kennedy School describes Manning in its press release as "a Washington, D.C. based network security expert and former U.S. Army intelligence analyst."

"She speaks on the social, technological, and economic ramifications of Artificial Intelligence through her op-ed columns for the Guardian and the New York Times," the announcement says. "As a trans woman, she advocates for queer and transgender rights as @xychelsea on Twitter."

The description also mentions Manning's imprisonment for leaking troves of classified U.S. documents, before former President Barack Obama commuted most of her 35-year sentence in January.

"Following her court martial conviction in 2013 for releasing confidential military and State Department documents, President Obama commuted her 35-year sentence, citing it as ‘disproportionate' to the penalties faced by other whistleblowers," Harvard's announcement says. "She served seven years in prison."

Manning's Twitter page, which Harvard specifically referenced, currently has her pinned tweet as a call to "abolish the presidency."

Other visiting fellows for this academic year include former White House press secretary Sean Spicer; Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign manager, Robby Mook; and Kansas City, Mo. Mayor Sylvester "Sly" James, Jr. (D.).

The Institute of Politics' acting director, Bill Delahunt, celebrated the diversity of viewpoints represented in the new class of fellows.

"Broadening the range and depth of opportunity for students to hear from and engage with experts, leaders, and policy-shapers is a cornerstone of the Institute of Politics. We welcome the breadth of thought-provoking viewpoints on race, gender, politics, and the media," Delahunt said.
September 13, 2017, 07:36 PM
parabellum
God, I can't believe they called him a "fellow". How offensive. Time to riot.
September 13, 2017, 07:38 PM
downtownv
Does he still pack a pecker?
Or did they pic a peck of Mannings pecker?

https://www.teampython.com

September 13, 2017, 07:52 PM
synthplayer
Why shouldn't this guy girl thing be a fellow? (Fellowess?)

We are living with fools.

I found what you said riveting.
September 13, 2017, 07:54 PM
stickman428
He should not be alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
September 13, 2017, 08:01 PM
Jim Shugart
The irony of him (yes, him) being designated a 'fellow' is delicious.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
September 13, 2017, 08:15 PM
^^^^^^
His next stop is dancing at the Paper Moon. We expect a report from you. Big Grin

September 13, 2017, 08:19 PM
wolfe 21
They let it out of Leavenworth? When did that happen?

A Perpetual Disappointment...
September 13, 2017, 08:20 PM
2012BOSS302
Good trade, you can have him.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.
September 13, 2017, 08:23 PM
SIGguy229
He should be panhandling under a bridge somewhere. Sad when Harvard designates this "person" as a Fellow...a title usually reserved for academics of note. Not a traitorous piece of crap.
September 13, 2017, 08:28 PM
BOATTRASH1
In a sane world the value of a harvard degree just dropped 75%
September 13, 2017, 08:36 PM
oddball
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:

"She he speaks on the social, technological, and economic ramifications of Artificial Intelligence through her his op-ed columns for the Guardian and the New York Times," the announcement says. "As a trans woman, she he advocates for queer and transgender rights as @xychelsea on Twitter."

I hate typos.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
September 13, 2017, 08:58 PM
tatortodd
[sarcasm]Seems legit. It is as easy as self-identifying as a scholar much like self-identifying as a female. After all, how else do you reward a "scholar" who has never set foot in a college classroom?[/sarcasm]

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
September 13, 2017, 09:27 PM
Il Cattivo
I guess that at Harvard, being in prison counts as being the same thing on a year-to-year basis. "Seven years? That's, like, a Bachelor's degree and a Masters and, and, like a full year in a PhD program!"
September 13, 2017, 09:45 PM
The only reason God has not rained fire and brimstone down places like Harvard is that there are still some good people around there, I'm sure.

Q

September 13, 2017, 09:50 PM
mekaus
Shoot, I can't really even remember if he was a she before she was a he or if she became a he after she or he joined the military.
September 13, 2017, 09:56 PM
Gustofer
quote:

The Kennedy School describes Manning in its press release as "a Washington, D.C. based network security expert and former U.S. Army intelligence analyst."

Wasn't this guy something like a PFC? Calling him a "U.S. Army intelligence analyst" is a bit of a stretch.

September 13, 2017, 10:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Wasn't this guy something like a PFC? Calling him a "U.S. Army intelligence analyst" is a bit of a stretch.

PFC or not, he was an intelligence analyst.

Q

September 14, 2017, 07:09 AM
Fredward
Guess the boys at Leavenworth ran out of stamps and cigarettes.
September 14, 2017, 09:34 AM
IndyRob
I hope he sues Harvard for using the wrong pronoun Roll Eyes