SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ram 2500 6.4 Laramie Crew Cab
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ram 2500 6.4 Laramie Crew Cab Login/Join 
Picture of whododat
posted
I am looking for FIRST HAND opinions on the Ram 2500 with 6.4 gas engine. We are looking at a 2018 Laramie Crew Cab. I see common complaints on them but I also see common problems on most other brands. That is why I am looking for people with first hand experiences only. We are fully aware about gas mileage and ride quality in a 3/4 ton truck but we will have needs for one.

Thanks in advance

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 Laramie Crew Cab with the rear coil spring suspension. It's by far the nicest pick-up I've ever driven.

My last truck was a 2006 Ram 2500, and I thought it rode well, but this one rides considerably better.

Theres a dealer out west named Dave Smith, that sells trucks at a low, no haggle cost. I was told to find a truck I wanted there (on his website) and try to duplicate the deal, and that's what I did. I bought mine for 20% less than sticker.

Mine is a diesel, but we have a 6.4 in a 2500 work truck at the shop. I've been on a few trips with it and I guess I'll say it's not noteworthy in my opinion. I have no real praises or complaints for it.

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2018 Laramie on order. I researched the matter extensively, and the truck should excellent. A friend has the gas engine, no problems in 80,000 miles. I ordered the Cummins diesel.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I have a 2018 Laramie on order. I researched the matter extensively, and the truck should excellent. A friend has the gas engine, no problems in 80,000 miles. I ordered the Cummins diesel.

Any concerns about the transmission or cooling system for Ram? I’m in the market fora 3/4 or 1 Ton truck as well. I’ve been leaning towards the Chevy/GMC Duramax platform but am open to the Ram or Ford for that matter. So, any specific reasons why you all are going Ram?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The earlier Rams had marginal transmissions. The current 68RFE transmissions are pretty good. However if you buy a 1 ton, you can upgrade to the Aisin transmission, which is super tough. I wish it was available in the 3/4 ton. I have heard no negatives regarding the cooling system.

The six cylinder diesel is much easier to work on than the V8 diesels.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
My assigned work truck for 5 years was a ram 2500 power wagon. Before I was assigned tthe power wagon, i was regularly assigned Ford's, Chevy's and Ram trucks. When the truck inventory got big enough tat they could start assigning rides, long term, I chose the Ram.

I had the same power wagon from 2009 to 2014, when I transferred to a different location.

Problems:
Every 50000-60000 miles, the exhaust manifold studs have to be replaced. Your first couple stud replacements will likely be during the warranty period.

Oil changes are expensive. It takes 7 quarts, and due to the variable valve timing, it needs to be synthetic.

Spark plug replacement is expensive, it has 2 per cylinder.

Solid front axle and off-road tires produced a scary death wobble (as we termed the phenomenon) if you hit a bump going 80+. It was never crash inducing, just had to slow down the get it to go away.

Despite the word-of-mouth spread rumors of weak transmissions, my transmission never had an issue.

My power wagon was a beast off-road. It would crawl up damn near anything. Locking diffs, user unlockable sway bars, and despite having a smallish engine for such a big truck, it would crawl up shit that the Ford and Chevy diesels struggled with.

It by far had a nicer interior than the Ford's and Chevy's.

Our fleet didn't have any Tundras, Nissan's or GMCs to compare and contrast against.

Our Ford's had overly stiff suspension and the interiors rattled like crazy after a couple years of washboard roads.

Our Chevy's were constantly having issues with metal parts breaking. The battery boxes kept pulling screw heads through the sheetmetal, dumping ghs battery's into the engine well. Kept breaking pushbar/grillguard (factory installed version) mounting bolts, and pulling hood hinge screwheads through the sheetmetal. All, presumably, due to heavily washboarded roads.

Our Rams held up best on washboarded roads.

Our Ford's were F250 diesels, and Chevy's were 2500 EMPs (enhanced mobility package).

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Please buy it, we make the steel for the muffler and exhaust piping on all Ram trucks.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the power plant as I have a 2014 mega cab 2500 6.7 cummins with coil suspension. I do however have the same transmission. Also had 08 2500 6.7 cummins with leaf springs. What I can say is the difference in ride between my 08 and 14 where night and day. I use to air down the 2500 in the rear and push the light load button to get a better daily driver ride. The 14 no need, it's not a Cadillac but it rides and drives real nice. I had some fears about the coil system but I've loaded the bed, 4 wheeler, have pulled my 5th wheel, and my 28 foot boat with no real bed drop. Actually it's more level when loaded and rides/drives just as smooth. As for the transmission I have had no issues with it "knock on wood", and that's with tuned increase in HP on both trucks. Note I don't dog on my truck the tuner was to get rid of the emission crap on truck. That's a whole other topic. I must admit that I'm a Ram guy as this is my 5th Ram. I did have a Ram 1500 4x4 when the Hemi first came out, the motor was strong, pulled same 28 ft boat but fuel milage wasn't great ( that's to be expected). I think any of the big 3 are good trucks and all of them will probably have some little things that need taking in for warranty stuff. Don't know if I helped or not but I'm happy with my purchase. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1141 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the input.
08 Cayenne, I will do my best.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Ike Gauntlet.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I can't help with the Gasser but I have an'18 Ram Big Horn with the Cummins.

Bought it in March and have 4,700 miles on it now. It has been great, a very comfortable truck. It is my third Ram. I had a '15 and '16 that were just as good but a deal came along for me to get into this one.
I'm getting 22 mpg 90% freeway driving about 150 per day 3 days a week. I got the extended warranty and service package that includes oil changes up to 100K I have them done every 5,000 miles.

I see very few with the 6.4 hemi in them and haven't talked with anyone that owns one.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post