SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Excel spreadsheet advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Excel spreadsheet advice Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
Someone gave the wife an Excel spreadsheet at work. It's tabbed at the bottom for days of the month, but it only starts on the 6th of the month, instead of the first of the month. Does anyone know how to fix it so it starts on the first of the month?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Those tabs are sheets. Are you sure the days/tabs are not further to the left/just off the visible area? There are little arrows in the bottom corner for scrolling.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Those tabs are sheets. Are you sure the days/tabs are not further to the left/just off the visible area? There are little arrows in the bottom corner for scrolling.

This would be my guess too.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
found out that some days are missing on the tabs. supervisor told wife to figure it out.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
email it to me and I will work on it and send it back

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
At the bottom of the worksheet where the tabs are listed to the far right at the end of the tab row is a "new tab" icon little orange star on a folder looking tab.

Click it and a new tab/sheet will appear with the name SheetX where X is a number. Right mouse click over the name and type in the date she needs.

If the tabs have fields and formulas she will need to go to an existing tab, click the top right box over A and 1 and select the whole sheet, then copy it, move to the new sheet, click the same box at A and 1 and paste so she can move headers, formulas etc.

She can also right mouse click on any sheet(tab) and select move or copy and
elect to make a copy.

Any formulas or headers may need to be adjusted depending on how it's setup.

Sounds like either an ahole boss who doesn't know Excel or she's being tested. Excel for dummies is a good book, and you can google this stuff and get online tutorials that show her how to do things.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
right click on one of the tabs at the bottom & select 'move or copy' - check the 'make a copy' & where you want it. When you click OK, a new tab will appear, with same name as the one you copied but with (1) after it. double click the name on the tab & edit it to say what you want.

Ex:
If it starts as '6' and you want 1-5, do the above, and you'll have a '6 (1)' tab - rename it to '5', fix the info/data in it, rinse & repeat 1-4

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated guys. We will work on it in the morning and let you know how it goes.

nhtagmember, Thanks. We will see how it goes.

--Sir Winston Churchill

--James Earl Jones

posted Hide Post
What a great supervisor! I feel for your wife. If no one teaches, how do you find out?

You'll get your questions answered here, I also think the tabs or arrows @ the bottom will find the missing page. Best of luck.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
What a great supervisor! I feel for your wife. If no one teaches, how do you find out?

For effing real. The supervisor doesn't know jack shit about Excel and pawned it off on the wife and wouldn't want to admit he/she doesn't know jack shit. Good thing we really have a good group of people here willing to help on a wide range of things.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Much appreciated guys. We will work on it in the morning and let you know how it goes.

nhtagmember, Thanks. We will see how it goes.

If you end up still needing help, copy me as I'm pretty handy with Excel as well.

JP

Posts: 2051 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
If she's going to use Excel a lot, I recommend a subscription to Lynda.com. While YouTube is free, I've found the tutorials on Lynda presented in a much better format.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has she tried right clicking on a tab name and hitting unhide sheet? They might already be there. I'd also recommend the website mrexcel, the forum there is very good...

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Fellas, Mrs Cliff really,really appreciates the reply's and offers to help her with this problem. I told her this is what we do. We are a community, we look out for each other, we help when we can. She is training for another job where she works and
she really appreciates the fact that other people see she has an asshole for a training supervisor. She thought she was being too sensitive. We will get back with a update over the next few days.

--Sir Winston Churchill

--James Earl Jones

The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
She figured it out to her satisfaction. Took awhile,and the Suggestions from HRK & snidera put her in the right direction. Thanks again fella's Big Grin

--Sir Winston Churchill

--James Earl Jones

posted Hide Post
That's great news Cliff! Always feels good to figure an issue out..."With a Little Help from My Friends."

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
She figured it out to her satisfaction. Took awhile,and the Suggestions from HRK & snidera put her in the right direction. Thanks again fella's Big Grin
Congrats! I think that lady deserves a nice dinner sir. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fellas, Mrs Cliff really,really appreciates the reply's and offers to help her with this problem. I told her this is what we do. We are a community, we look out for each other, we help when we can. She is training for another job where she works and
she really appreciates the fact that other people see she has an asshole for a training supervisor. She thought she was being too sensitive. We will get back with a update over the next few days.

Cliff, please don't let her struggle too long with Excel issues after she starts her new job. There's too much good and capable here for that. And yes, she can also learn by dissecting how one of your invisible friends solves a given problem.

Glad she stuck it out and solved it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Excel is such a powerful program that I have read that we use less than 10 percent of its capability.

I use it for my monthly budget for the year to track incoming bills and determine the money needed from my IRA.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Excel is such a powerful program that I have read that we use less than 10 percent of its capability.

I use it for my monthly budget for the year to track incoming bills and determine the money needed from my IRA.

I would say most people use less than 10 percent, maybe even 5 percent. And for those who are "experts" which i consider myself one, we're not experts in everything that Excel has to offer. For example, I'm great with formulas, pivot tables, and macro programming but I'm only passable with charts. I'd have to read up on how to do waterfall charts which i came across before but never had the need to do.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post