SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thought it would be interesting to have a Famous quotes thread
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thought it would be interesting to have a Famous quotes thread Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Alexander Graham Bell: "Aw, shit! I spilled acid on my clothes!"

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ Big Grin

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say." - Will Durant

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
"On the other hand you have different fingers..." - Steven Wright

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
"Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver five minutes longer." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
"I drank what???!" - Socrates

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
Eleanor Roosevelt supposedly said

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!”

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.
Author unknown

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"We are a nation that has a government - not the other way around. And this makes us special among the nations of the earth. Our government has no power except that granted to it by the people"

Ronald Reagan

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

And my favorite:
"Sometimes doing your best is not good enough. Sometimes you must do what is required."

All by Winston Churchill, of course. I could go on, but these are the quotes that choke me up when I think of them.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
Patton?
I'm at a loss as to why you would guess Patton, as he was a despicable anti-Semite.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I drank what...?!" Socrates

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Nancy Astor to W S Churchill - Winston, you are drunk!

W S Churchill to Nancy Astor - Nancy, YOU are ugly, but I shall be better in the morning.

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue"

Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

Posts: 63 | Location: North Central PA | Registered: July 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"It was a Woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her". -- W. C. Fields.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
"Our long national nightmare is over."

Gerald Ford's first sentence to a national audience immediately after being sworn in as President.

In the same address, Ford cautioned the nation against great expectations: "I'm a Ford, not a Lincoln."

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
Patton?
I'm at a loss as to why you would guess Patton, as he was a despicable anti-Semite.

I guessed Patton because of: the date of the quote; the audacious tone of the quote; and because I knew he played a role in dealing with the concentration camps.

I was ignorant regarding his anti-semitism. No offense intended.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
"...nor long shall any name resound beyond the grave,
unless't be found in some clerk's book.
It is the pen gives immortality to men."

Robert Wace

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around
And desert you"

R. Astley

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
"Why can’t we use the starboard launch?" -Starbuck

"It’s a gift shop now." -Tyrol

"Frak Me!" -Starbuck,

BG

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can't always get what you want.
But if you try sometimes, well you might find,
You get what you need.

The Rolling Stones.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post