SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I was arrested yesterday. Was the officer overzealous? Or did I get what I deserved? (Update in OP)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I was arrested yesterday. Was the officer overzealous? Or did I get what I deserved? (Update in OP) Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
You don’t decide the safe place to pull over the officer does ALWAYS. You get lit up you pull it over ASAP.

I always wait for a safe place to stop. I used to do volunteer road patrol. I know how dangerous it is to stop even on the side of the road, with room to walk, much less impeding a lane of traffic. The stories I've seen in the "news," of late, of people running into stopped cops on the sides of the freeways, validates my judgement.

If the officer wants to endanger his or her life and limb by doing that, they're more than welcome. I will not.

This goes along with "Better to be judged..."

When the cop asked "Why didn't you stop right away" and got a reasonable explanation it should have been enough. This kind of over-the-top, unnecessary behaviour by some cops does the profession no favours at all.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The officer claiming you were fleeing is full of it. Fleeing where?

Here at least statutorily all that is needed for fleeing is knowingly not stopping for an officer. Intent for not stopping does not matter or knowing where fleeing to is not needed for the charge.

I'm not saying the statutory requirements for the charge were not met. I'm saying the road leads to an island with an amusment park. The road is narrow, full of traffic going to and from said amusment park. There isn't a good place to pull over, but the OP wouldn't know that and it's understandable that he thought there might be a spot over the next hill or around the next bend. The officer knows this.

I'll change full of it to over the top. Five more cops, a K9, vehicle search, and a trip downtown all for a guy, his wife and two kids going to an amusement park. What this reeks of is small town cop sticking it to the out of state tourists. I'm assuming of course that the OP and his wife were polite, respectful and apologetic during the encounter.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a pretty douchey cop but who knows what his experience is — maybe he’s had a couple bad situations that started just like that in the past. So what really bothered him might be something that bother doesn’t really bother the rest.

Regardless, sounds like he has poor judgement.

Good luck with the legal stuff — hopefully it goes in your favor.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Please just tell me you slipped in something about being "a traveler" and asked "Am I being detained" unnecessarily a bunch of times.. Big Grin

Nor did you create joinder, I trust...

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
[they're the one taking the risk of getting hit from behind.

Nope.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I would have pulled over much sooner and let the officer direct you where to go if he thought it wasn't a good spot, but I've seen plenty of people pulled over in my area in terrible locations, just over the crest of a hill, etc. The cops don't seem to care, they want you stopped when they put those lights on.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
[they're the one taking the risk of getting hit from behind.

Nope.
Doesn't really prove your point... if you are saying the area wasn't 'safe', what is safe to you? Parking lot surrounded by concrete????

Some moron can ALWAYS hit you.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I would’ve pulled over sooner but the cop was being a dick considering you weren’t causing any trouble. I pulled over in a similar bad spot because there was no safe place. Asked the cop to please go to the passenger side so he wouldn’t get hit. He acted like a dick the rest of the stop.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Officer friendly needs to hit the youtube for a few minutes and watch some of those videos of his colleagues being creamed by distracted drivers. Maybe he would be a little more rational.

That being said, I have been pulled over more than once where I got the impression the officer was fishing (I usually drive pretty old vehicles) and was hoping I had no licence or insurance or drunk. Once I proved clean they appeared to get frustrated and really started nit picking.......taillight lens being a tad sun bleached on a 30 year old truck. Stuff like that.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Doesn't really prove your point... if you are saying the area wasn't 'safe', what is safe to you? Parking lot surrounded by concrete????

Some moron can ALWAYS hit you.

My point is - I decide what is safe for me and my family, not anyone else.

To say that the cop is the only one at risk because his car is in the back is wrong. Me and my family are at risk also. I don't defer my responsibilities to my family to another man (or woman) because they have a badge.

There has not been one mention of a parking lot until you chimed in. The OP was on road, not a parking lot. The video was on a road, not a parking lot.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Last time I got pulled over, it was at night and the cop lit me up while I was 5th lane next to the HOV (far left) lane. I had to cross four more lanes to get to the shoulder. This was on the 60 in Rowland Heights, CA. Six lanes in each direction, road is always bumper to bumper traffic in all lanes. It was so dangerous to pull me over there. Reason for the stop was that I had exited the HOV lane on a solid white line. In AZ you can enter and exit HOV lanes anywhere, all of them are marked by double solid white lines. Cop let me go, but it was pretty silly to get pulled over for such a nothing violation, given all the insanity I see when driving around LA. And it was just a very dangerous time and place for a very minor traffic stop.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I would have stopped sooner, assuming that the cop would position his car with the flashers on to make it as safe as possible.

That said, given your circumstances, the cop might have been precipitous in arresting you. You had family with you, a reasonable explanation, and upon being searched had no contraband. But I certainly don't think he was completely out of bounds.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An arrest has occurred. This is a legal matter. It should be discussed with an attorney, not a public web board.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a former Ohio cop I have charged offenders under this section. You should have stopped immediately. Let the officer tell you to drive farther if he feels it necessary. I have written on this ORC code. If I felt he was trying to escape I worded it as fleeing and eluding. If not they get a citation and get let go. They should have charged you for the red light as the PC for the stop. However some courts frown on that as stacking charges.

Let your attorney speak to the court and they may reduce the charge.

Posts: 238 | Location: SW OH | Registered: September 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
From what I just read, cop was a jerk in my opinion.

This, completely.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
I think continuing to drive 1.2-1.3 miles was a mistake. I might have immediately pulled over to the right as far as possible and let the policeman worry about safety.

The police actions after the stop do seem a bit excessive.

I’m in this boat also. Without knowing what an officer has just gone through or his briefing at the beginning of the day (“we’ve been seeing a rash of nefarious characters slowly run from us as they dispose of evidence”), I would’ve driven no more the 0.5 miles before pulling and await the officer’s response.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
You think too much. Just pull over. The cop is behind you with lights on, and everyone in the world knows you’re both there.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You made a mistake. Cop was a badge-heavy shitbag.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Wonder if the cop reads SIGforum? Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The officer observed your vehicle in a pattern consistent with someone buying time to conceal illicit substances, weapons, etc. So he was acting with due caution in elevating to backup personnel and a vehicle search. But, in my decidely unlegal opinion, this should have ended when the search turned up nothing and the detainee was cooperative and had a reasonable explanation for his behavior. The arrest was over the top.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16348 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post