SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    100 Year Old Film Footage of the Red Baron
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 Year Old Film Footage of the Red Baron Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
And a challenge to fly. Changes in engine torque were a constant battle of adjustment for the pilot with that large spinning mass in front of him. Aircraft with that engine rolled/ turned remarkably well in one direction and fought the other.

A bit off topic but still relavent is the F4U Corsair had a similar bad habit. Too much torque and not enough rudder and it became quite a handful on takeoff.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
About 20 years ago I picked up a Spandau LMG 08/15. This is the air cooled version of the WWI German MG 08/15 machine gun and you can see a pair of them mounted on von Richthofen's Dr.1. I did some digging around and discovered the serial number of my LMG was 200 off from one of von Richthofen's on the day he was shot down and died. The Brits documented the serial numbers from his downed Dr.1 and included them in their reports. It seems that Spandau Armory built LMG 08/15s in batches and then sent them to various aircraft manufacturers for customization and installation on their aircraft. My LMG, and at least one of von Richthofen's, was manufactured in November of 1917.

Here is my LMG 08/15 ready to fire resting in a homemade cradle on top of a US M2 type tripod. The tripod itself is a conglomeration of Canadian and US components. Some truly crazy stuff comes out of Fort Hood. Oh, the LMG is fully functional and legally registered.

, When I was in class for my company about 10 years ago I ran into a guy who's last name was Spandau, couldn't help but ask if he was related and he said it was his great grandfather, interesting chat with him afterwards.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
My FIL, who was a pilot, frequently commented on how amazing it was that the Wright brother's first flight and Apollo 11 both occurred during his lifetime.

It was aliens!!!!!!!!

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
More very interesting reading on von Richtofen when he was shot down:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone....-mgs-where-are-they/

More interesting viewing here: https://aso.gov.au/titles/hist...on-richthofen/clip1/

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything I have read about Von Richtofen would indicate that his success was not so much based on his aircraft, but on the fact he was a gifted defection shooter and he rarely fired until he closed to a distance at which he could not miss.
Cool photos. I cant imagine what it was must have been like to fly and fight from an open cockpit.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16069 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
thats deflection and it was Erich Hartmanns claim to fame also.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
That was very interesting; thank you.
I wonder who the British pilot was.

I believe he was hit by ground fire. I recall a story about a controversy over who it was, between some Canadian troops and others, possibly British, and the arguments with maps and pointers and angles and times etc.

Edit to add:

quote:
In the skies over Vauz sur Somme, France, Manfred von Richthofen, the notorious German flying ace known as “The Red Baron,” is killed by Allied fire.

Richthofen, the son of a Prussian nobleman, switched from the German army to the Imperial Air Service in 1915. By 1916, he was terrorizing the skies over the western front in an Albatross biplane, downing 15 enemy planes by the end of the year, including one piloted by British flying ace Major Lanoe Hawker. In 1917, Richthofen surpassed all flying ace records on both sides of the western front and began using a Fokker triplane, painted entirely red in tribute to his old cavalry regiment. Although only used during the last eight months of his career, it is this aircraft that Richthofen was most commonly associated with and it led to an enduring English nickname for the German pilot–the Red Baron.

On April 21, 1918, with 80 victories under his belt, Richthofen penetrated deep into Allied territory in pursuit of a British aircraft. The Red Baron was flying too near the ground–an Australian gunner shot him through his chest, and his plane crashed into a field alongside the road from Corbie to Bray. Another account has Captain A. Roy Brown, a Canadian in the Royal Air Force, shooting him down. British troops recovered his body, and he was buried with full military honors. He was 25 years old. In a time of wooden and fabric aircraft, when 20 air victories ensured a pilot legendary status, Manfred von Richthofen downed 80 enemy aircraft.

Link

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of a picture of my grandfather with Glen Curtiss and his plane before WW1.

MG34 DAN - Glad this thread prompted you telling your story of your gun. I'm amazed those guns in water cooled form can fire until the barrel wears out without pause if continuously fed ammo.

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
That was fascinating. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Goering can be seen on the far left of the screen between the 3:03 and 3:05 marks.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post