SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Optic thing identification?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optic thing identification? Login/Join 
Picture of Ken226
posted
Anyone know what this thing is?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/RAYTHEON...793161230?nav=SEARCH

I would post a pic but photobucket has recently lost their minds, and i havn't settled on an alternate yet.

I was intrigued, so ordered bought one intending to open it up and satisfy my curiosity. I was thinking about machining the rear for an eyepiece housing to see if it'll make a cool spotting scope.

If nothing else, i can polish it up and display it in my shop.

Anyone seen something like this before?

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it could be from a missile or rocket?

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bears a strong resemblance to what we in the USAF referred to as a "NOD"
Night.
Observation.
Device.
It was our version of a starlight scope and was used in guard towers.
Just a guess, though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Looks more like a camera module, and if so, the optic relief will not be suitable for a naked eye to use.

Not positive on that of course, but basing that on my experience with military optic sight manufacturing.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny how they show everything but the eye piece side.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Funny how they show everything but the eye piece side.

It's like most military junk- It probably cost thousands but is worthless today.

The last image shows the "eye" piece side- There's no eye piece just red and black wires. Like power wires.

There's no adjustments it's fixed. It looks more like a source of some sort. If it was a scope there'd be a sensor array since it's not made for the eye?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
The red and black wires look lile they woild possibly be power sources for a focusing mechanism.

Visible in one of the side view pics, theres a thin gap between the rearmost electrical part and the main body of the thing. That whole electrical part sits rigjt behind where im guessing the erecting lense is housed.

Im only guessinv that it has an erecting lense, because another side view pic shows a bump in the casting in that spot,whech looks like an internal feature to hold the erector and/or reticle lense.

There looks to be a video coaxial connector on top, closer to the objective lense. The wires from the image sensor, if thats what it is, must be routed internally.

If the lense turns out to be suitable for naked eye viewing, the focal length shouldn't be an insurmountable issue, i can make an eyepiece housing that puts the eyepiece at the correct f(x) location for that objective lens.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I predict a cool magnifying glass and some scrap metal. Anything sold on eBay that the seller says is "untested", you can bet the farm it doesn't work.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless there is a big data connector somewhere with a bunch of wires, I'll bet it is an ir illuminator.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I believe your right. Im thinking its an ir illuminator from an m1 tank. I keep coming up with nsn 1240-01-119-5652

Which makes it useless to me Smile. A cool paperweight.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Think of all the rats Mars could light up with that thing. If it is an IR illuminator, keep it pointed away from eyes when monkeying with it.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Think I just saw it...
Watching Rush Hour 2...Jackie and Chris are peeping on Roselyn...looks just like it.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It has a power source with a fuse holder on the red wire. Look close and you will see a connector on the left side for a video output.

You do not know the model number or have a schematic to determine the voltage required and the video output level.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Looking at the picture with the tape measure, there are some identifiable characters...

SERMO.....

I did a Google search with that, and found a reference to an page at "Army Property.com" that refers to a "Cage Code" of 82577 as being assigned to Raytheon, which at least jibes with the note on the eBay listing.

Not sure how helpful that will prove, but thought I'd throw it into the mix.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
The best ive come up with is:

19207-12272751

19207 is a contract cage# assigned to Raytheon

12272571 is a manufacturers part# for the aluminum housing.

The aluminum housing is part of an assembly called "lens and prism assy, transmit", price, $7998.49!. The part# for the assembly was listed as 12282577.

Looks like my paperweight is a " lens with prism assembly that originally cost the military about $8000

The " lens and prism assy, transmit" was part of a larger targeting and fire control system.

Other part#s associated with the assembly had names like "light tube", " beam splitter" . very interesting.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nshumway:
Unless there is a big data connector somewhere with a bunch of wires, I'll bet it is an ir illuminator.
That was my guess--an infrared light projector.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Dispute it with Ebay and get your money back. Tell them it was sold as a spotting scope, but it's really a transmitter. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Does the thing power up? Get a pair of IR goggles and you can light up the alien creatures when they start to swarm.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on the top view image at the right, is that a lens? If so, it is missing the eyepiece.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Does the thing power up? Get a pair of IR goggles and you can light up the alien creatures when they start to swarm.

I'm definitely keeping it. Regardless of what it turns out to be, it looks badass!