SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I guess I'd be arrested, because if I were on ths plane...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I guess I'd be arrested, because if I were on ths plane... Login/Join 
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I always fly with a good belt, computer bag (with removable shoulder strap) and good sized padlock. Strap and padlock for takedown if need be and belt for keeping them secure until we can get in the ground.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
For the past 25 years, I have made a point to be deliberate in my preparations when I fly. I never wear shorts or flip flops (in case of emergency landing and I have to egress through fire and/or wreckage). Of course, the odds against such an event are extreme, but I would rather be prepared.

I will have to make some considerations about this sort of event from now on, such as improvised weapons/restraining devices. Are large zip-ties allowed? . . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have to fly in January, and am dreading the thought . the older I get, the easier I start to anxiety .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
I always fly with a good belt, computer bag (with removable shoulder strap) and good sized padlock. Strap and padlock for takedown if need be and belt for keeping them secure until we can get in the ground.

padlock on a strap makes for a wicked impact weapon

I like the way you think

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Hmmmm.... Says she was booked locally. Isn't this sort of stuff Federally chargeable?

Booking locally is only the first step - gets them into custody as additional charges can be filed. She is currently facing three charges of criminal threats. I expect to see her face Federal charges - that court house is only a few blocks away from the county court house. In fact, the jail is right between the two court houses.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The best part is someone got the death threats on video. I hope that crazy woman enjoys everything that's coming to her.

quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I will have to make some considerations about this sort of event from now on, such as improvised weapons/restraining devices. Are large zip-ties allowed? . . .

You know, I hadn't thought of using them the way you're talking about, but the last time I flew, the only zip ties I could find in the garage before we left were surely long enough to do the job and I packed a handful in the carry on for keeping the zippers secured after the security checks. I would just say to go for it and if questioned, give my reason and if it's somehow magically a problem anyhow, you're only out the cost of a few zip ties.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked at a resort and one of the servers had a similar meltdown when she couldn't get a cigarette break. Same language, loud, threatening, right in the middle of the dining room. Turns out she was on heroin and needed a fix. Wonder if this beauty need a fix of something.

Posts: 593 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like somebody crashed her party at the very end. Good for him. I try to sit on the aisle whenever I fly. Always a mental list of what I have that can be used as a persuader or a restraint. Threats to my well being at 30k ft not a good idea.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
The "man" in the suit needed to intervene and not just sit and stare.

Yep. Put down your Ipad and stop her.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
The "man" in the suit needed to intervene and not just sit and stare.

Yep. Put down your Ipad and stop her.

+1 A nice right to the jaw would have done it.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Here's to the gentleman in the jeans who apparently took care of business. Everyone needs to step up and handle this sort of BS when it occurs.

I figure one big overhand right to the face to disorient, thow her face first into the center aisle, then place my fat ass squarely across her shoulder blades for the remainder of the flight. And with any degree of luck, I'll have had chili for lunch. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
For health reasons, you can take a nice hickory cane anywhere; even on a plane with you. A couple of taps will encourage most anyone to settle down.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Study up on Pressure Point Control. You can easily find these nerve clusters, and (from personal experience in training) I KNOW that they work. Even when I KNEW what was coming, I could not resist when the person was hitting them correctly.

Push a finger down into the one by the collar bone (Brachial Plexus Clavical Notch) or sternum (Jugular Notch Nerve), and this causes somebody to sit down (they instinctively move away from the pain). Press up on the one under the jaw bone (Hypoglossal Nerve) or under the ear (Mandibular Angle Nerve) and they stand up. Hit the one under the nose (Infra Orbital Nerve) and you can get them to do pretty much anything. They are GREAT non-lethal, non-permanent injury methods for obtaining quick and easy compliance. They don't leave a mark, they don't risk caving in somebody's skull (a padlock on a luggage strap could be considered 'lethal force'), and they are used by prison guards and other professionals, so you would be more likely to be covered legally by using the 'approved' methods.

What I saw in that video didn't reach the threshold of 'lethal force,' IMO, so one must have a variety of options available.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvPugcb7QGE

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:

I keep rerunning the first one, the stewardess' efforts.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Looks like somebody crashed her party at the very end. Good for him. I try to sit on the aisle whenever I fly. Always a mental list of what I have that can be used as a persuader or a restraint. Threats to my well being at 30k ft not a good idea.

I think his name is Dave:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Serious question-

If on a flight and something like this happens can another passenger just step in and physically control/restrain the problem?

I watched the video, lady was out of control but verbal only at the point the guy stepped up. Do you need to offer assistance to flight crew and be asked to help first?

What legal ramifications are there to taking it upon yourself to physically restrain another passenger before they assault someone or present a weapon of some sort without the request or approval of the flight crew?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Serious question-

If on a flight and something like this happens can another passenger just step in and physically control/restrain the problem?

I watched the video, lady was out of control but verbal only at the point the guy stepped up. Do you need to offer assistance to flight crew and be asked to help first?

What legal ramifications are there to taking it upon yourself to physically restrain another passenger before they assault someone or present a weapon of some sort without the request or approval of the flight crew?

The guy in the jeans didn't stop and think about the ramifications of restraining her - he just did what needed to be done. Good for him!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
The guy in the jeans didn't stop and think about the ramifications of restraining her - he just did what needed to be done. Good for him!

I don’t disagree, but given the climate today such an act could get you the same treatment as the crazy lady. The whole “interfering with the flight crew” thing can have serious ramifications, not only legally but also finding yourself on a no-fly list.

Clearly at the point of actual assault or brandishing a weapon no one would question someone coming to the aid of the flight attendant. However taking over the situation while FA is trying to talk them down might not be welcomed by the airline (even if welcomed by the passengers).

Like a lot of folks on the board, I play the “What if?” Game when out and about, trying to decide what could happen in a given situation and what my possible responses would be. Just trying to do that here, thinking about the ramifications before facing the situation better prepares you to act if/when you are.

Any LEO, Air Marshals or commercial pilots want to chime in on this?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Could it have been an "air Marshall" that stepped in at the end of the video?

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post