SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    is it possible to get dd214's online
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

is it possible to get dd214's online Login/Join 
posted
I have been all through several .gov web sites. They all allude to the fact that you can, but so far I have not been able to. Any help will be appreciated.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you check with the VA? call the veterans service officer.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The DD214s themselves are not online.

Order them here.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I believe you can ORDER it online, but you'll receive a copy via US Mail. At least that's what happened when I got my dad's DD 214.

JALLEN was faster on the keyboard. Plus he provided a link... Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I've had to order them twice in the last 20+ years. Each time I get one, it is barely legible throughout the doc and in some places, unreadable.

Good luck!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I believe you can ORDER it online, but you'll receive a copy via US Mail. At least that's what happened when I got my dad's DD 214.

JALLEN was faster on the keyboard. Plus he provided a link... Razz

My dad was older! Big Grin

Actually, this is an issue for us right now. Years ago, I ordered my dad’s records. I got a fax saying “send $60” which I did. I received what they had, training records from Midshipman School in New York summer 1943, no discharge, no record of commission, service, ships, etc.

We would like to place my folks’ ashes at Ft. Sam, but without more than we have, it’s no deal.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
If you submitted them to the VA via ebenefits for any reason they are online and downloadable from ebenefits.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I believe you can ORDER it online, but you'll receive a copy via US Mail.

This ^^^^ is how I got a copy of my DD 214

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I imagine that there's going to be quite a few requests for DD214's.

Starting Nov. 11, vets, regardless of time in service will be able to shop at the Exchanges on line. I'm sure a 214 will be one of the items required for verification of service.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, my father's service records were destroyed in the July 1973 National Personnel Records Center fire. Frown

About the fire.

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Starting Nov. 11, vets, regardless of time in service will be able to shop at the Exchanges on line.
Tell us more about this, please.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the county recorder, they may have a lost DD 214. When I got out (1971) "someone" told me to give them a copy, which I did. I now live 1000 miles away but also filed a copy in my current county.

It's possible (likely?) older guys (like our dads) did the same 70+ years ago.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Starting Nov. 11, vets, regardless of time in service will be able to shop at the Exchanges on line.

AAFES is opening its online store to all honorably discharged military veterans.

Here is the link to sign up/verify service:
https://www.shopmyexchange.com/veterans

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Check the county recorder, they may have a lost DD 214. When I got out (1971) "someone" told me to give them a copy, which I did. I now live 1000 miles away but also filed a copy in my current county.

It's possible (likely?) older guys (like our dads) did the same 70+ years ago.

Also check with your State’s National Guard Adjutant General or Military Affairs Department. They usually got one of the copies of the DD214 or the WW2 Discharge Papers for personnel who listed their home state at the time of enlistment/discharge. This helped for folks who lost records at the St Louis fire.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received mine by using archives.gov.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
quote:

AAFES is opening its online store to all honorably discharged military veterans.

Dang! I love the benefits of Sigforum membership. Thank you for posting! It was easy enough to get verified.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I had to have my lost dd214 replaced to satisfy USAA after my wife switched us to USAA. Touchstone Research Group did a good job of expediting the research and forwarding of my service records. They are pricey but it worked.

There are many negative reviews on these guys. In my case, it worked out. YMMV

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took mine to the Alameda County Courthouse when I got out. They gave me five free copies and entered it into the archives. I'm glad I did-I've been able to retrieve copies fairly quickly for a couple of bucks a pop.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
quote:

Dang! I love the benefits of Sigforum membership. Thank you for posting! It was easy enough to get verified.

I was accepted early to test this set-up. It works pretty well and gives you access to all the different Exchange system. ( AAFES, Marine Corps Exchange, etc....) Pricing on some items are pretty good, others not so much.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6483 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post