New
Find
Notify
Tools

CLR solutions Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Barkeeper's Friend is what I use for hard water deposits.
Try it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Muriatic acid. Hardware store ought to have it.

Pay attention to what your doing, gloves, eye pro, etc. I've used it many times to rejuvenate a dishwasher that looked like a quarry inside.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
Ballistol!

Before you laugh at me, here is how I stumbled onto this.

I bought a large can at the NRA Outdoor event last year after talking to the rep at their table and listening to its many uses.

We are on a well and hard water is a fact of life. Last summer, my kitchen sink faucet was getting harder to move between sinks. It needed some real force to move it because of mineral buildup.

For some reason, I thought to try some Ballistol on it, thinking it might help loosen things up a bit. I put some in a small syringe and placed several drops around the base, thinking capillary action would draw it in. It did.

After several minutes of soaking, I started to move the faucet back and forth and noticed two things. It was getting slowly easier to move and it felt and sounded “crunchy” while moving it.

I decided to add more!

The next application was more generous and after letting it soak, I again moved it and noticed it was much easier to move than last time. I also noticed the excess was now working it’s way out onto the granite counter top, which also had hard water stains. The used Ballistol was brownish-grey with minerals suspended in it.

At this point, I went for broke and put several more cc’s into the joint while working it back and forth.

That really freed it up. Chunks of minerals came out and the faucet moved like new. I took a paper towel and whipped away the excess and noticed the stains on the granite were gone and the spot the Ballistol had been on was shiny as if it had been polished. Same thing with the chrome on the fixture. Stains gone and shiny new.

While it’s not exactly a designated use, I was very happy with the end result. Since Ballistol is water soluble, I felt safe trying it on my fixture. Worst case, I would have to change out the fixture, which was what I thought was going to be necessary anyway.

Overall, very pleased with the results.

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post