SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bought a watch (nothing special) -- band replacement?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a watch (nothing special) -- band replacement? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I had some specific criteria for a new watch. I have some decent (but relatively inexpensive) watches already (example, Cartier inspired Seiko). I also have a Casio Pathfinder watch (big, solar, atomic - but digital and I have a hard time reading it depending on what glasses I'm wearing).

Anyway, I wanted:
1) Analog (most digitals use a font that's too small for me)
2) High contrast hands / face
3) 'Clean' face - no clutter. Discreet - nothing fancy looking
5) Solar - must
6) Atomic - very nice to have
7) Must be readable at night (luminous and/or light)
8) Stop watch - very nice to have
9) normal size (I have small wrists); Pathfinder is actually way too big for me.

Casio solar / atomic / analog come to mind. I saw this in Japan recently but it didn't have solar / atomic -- otherwise really liked the clean face. https://www.amazon.com/CASIO-G...1P4Z0MYD2QESTPRQPKMT

This is what I ended up buying but I have some buyer's remorse (ordered but haven't received it yet). https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...&smid=A28VHTO33JZ258

Seems to have most of the features but not ideally implemented: the luminous parts on the hands seems small (although the hands seem to have good contrast in regular lighting). The 3 digital displays are small and likely unreadable for me unless wearing reading glasses (and maybe not even then); in any case, unusable in the dim light (not backlit). I'm just hoping the luminosity has relatively good life (ie - not just minutes but can last most of the night).

Anyway, it was tough because I kept wavering with alternatives from Seiko, Citizen and others (solar but not atomic). So, some remorse now; hopefully, I'll like the actual watch upon receipt.

Anyway, I'm not too keen on the resin band (and likely it'll be too long for me too). I'm hoping to be able to switch it out for a metal or canvas (NATO style?) band.

But how do I know which bands will fit? Any recommendations on band make / style?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I think you will have to get an adapter:
https://countycomm.com/collect...asio-g-shock-watches

Then you can use any NATO/Zulu band you want that fits the adapter.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks!!

This is all new to me and I was just finding out about the need for an adapter and was trying to figure out if Casio offered one. Your link is great!

I'll measure the watch when received.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I looked through your list of desires trying to think of something else to suggest, but that's a lot to ask of a watch. Those G-Shocks are probably your best bet. I even looked at the Citizen site and narrowed it down by atomic and chronograph, and all of the ones left were very cluttered. I can't really help you with any other ideas, except maybe a different G-Shock.

Or a $1,200 Tissot.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks for trying!!

It's tough and ironic. All the brands and models and still hard to find the right combination. It's a matter of compromise.

I'll start with the Casio; if it doesn't work, I'll compromise on something else and try a different brand and/or model.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
5) Solar - must

Maybe I'm just missing the attraction,or just working too many night shifts, but...

Why do you find Solar so imparative

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've changed my share of batteries over the years; it's inconvenient to go find and buy them, they are expensive and they sometimes die at inopportune moments (ie when traveling on business). I've come to enjoy the convenience of solar. Personal preference but it hasn't really been limiting in my choice of watch. Other factors have been more limiting.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Got the watch. First impressions:
1) contrast of hands on face is nice in good lighting
2) luminosity is woefully inadequate
3) subdials are not readable (not a big deal for me)
4) watch case is a good fit for my wrist
5) light is okay but not quick to read time

Net: probably keep for day time use and as stop gap. But will likely give up on atomic and continue searching for another watch. I may add tritium to criteria. Or at least stronger criteria for time reading in the dark. If necessary, I may give up solar as well.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Got the watch. First impressions:
1) contrast of hands on face is nice in good lighting
2) luminosity is woefully inadequate
3) subdials are not readable (not a big deal for me)
4) watch case is a good fit for my wrist
5) light is okay but not quick to read time

Net: probably keep for day time use and as stop gap. But will likely give up on atomic and continue searching for another watch. I may add tritium to criteria. Or at least stronger criteria for time reading in the dark. If necessary, I may give up solar as well.

Automatics don't need batteries...just saying Wink

Would open up more doors also.

-JALLEN

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've had issues with reliability and being able to trust time from automatics. Being even one minute off has been problematic. Biz meetings, catching trains in Japan, etc.

Perhaps they are better now and I should consider them again. They seem popular here. I've just been averse to them for awhile.

Maybe for casual wear they are perfectly sufficient for me; but then I'd still need a watch for more exacting days.

Can I get a decent auto with luminous hands for about $100-200? Seiko 5?

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I have bought a few Citizen Eco watches (solar) from Dave T. If you can return the one on its way and willing to spend about $20 more (one of the AR series) that'll put you in the range of what you need.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Those look nice! On Prime, they are more than 2x the price of the Casio but still affordable (although on the high border of budget) if they sufficiently meet requirements. Added to potentials.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Been wearing the watch. Still nothing special but the one thing I do appreciate is the high contrast between hands and face. It's good for a quick time check under reasonable lighting conditions. If only it were good until dim/no light conditions w/out having to press a button, it might be close to perfect (albeit G-Shock is still a bit thick in general).

I'm more strongly considering a band replacement. The stock resin bad is light and not too thick. But it's not entirely comfortable and the notch placement makes the band a little too tight or a little too loose. And when too loose, the watch lifts away from my wrist leaving a gap which is annoying.

Considering a NATO still band. Either the 4 ring Maratac or this one from Amazon:

http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...&smid=A21KGSA1BOMSUT

Questions:
1) I believe my watch pins to be 16mm. But the band itself is about 26mm. Would you recommend a NATO band of 18mm (smallest I can find) or 26mm? From the functional and/or cosmetic perspectives? Either way, I would notch out the band using a razor / flame under the watch to 16mm. This does defeat the ability to adjust watch placement under different wear conditions (ie - bare skin vs over a winter jacket). If necessary, I can get two bands for this.

2) Is there a preferred band thickness? Not every product specs it, but some do indicate whether the material is 'thick' vs 'thin' -- If unstated, I assume it's generally the thicker material? Good to go?

3) Do you think the NATO band will be more comfortable than the stock band? Or is the benefit largely something else (ie - watch retention if one pin breaks)?

Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Seiko Kinetic might work for you. Charges a battery/capacitor like an automatic (uses a rotor), but the movement is Quartz. Earlier ones had to have a capacitor update (I installed one for not a lot of $), and after this they last a good long time. Using positional variance, and regulation I do myself, I can keep my automatic within +/- 15 seconds of an atomic clock, usually under 10.

I love G-shocks, but I gotta have a sweep second hand. If the Bulova Precisionist series w/a sweep second had a solar/kinetic type system, I buy one in a second.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ok, here's the band installed. Not perfect but maybe good enough. I'll try it out like this and decide whether to keep or revert back to the stock resin straps.

Cut and burned notches into the 26mm band at the 16mm pin to make it fit.....