SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grand Canyon Railway Questions/advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand Canyon Railway Questions/advice needed Login/Join 
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted
I have never been to the Grand Canyon. Thinking about doing an April 2018 trip to Williams, Arizona. I know, I know, I have and will be looking at their website/tours but wanted to see what the collective has to say.

If we take the morning train from Williams to the rim, is it worth staying at El Tovar Hotel? Is there so much to do at the rim that you need an overnight? If we do stay overnight, is their a MORNING train back to Williams?

Do you need more than one day (train there in AM and back to Williams in PM) to do things at the Rim?

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
We did that a few years ago, but it was in November when they had the Polar Express night train ride. We all enjoyed it.

The El Tovar Hotel was very nice and the restaurant was very good. The night we stayed it happen to snow so the views were outstanding the next morning. There were also a small heard of Deer out front so the kids got a kick out of it. If I go back again I plan to stay there again.

We could have stayed longer and enjoyed it. I'd like to see a little more then we had time to that time.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take the train if you want the train ride. It's cooling off this time of year.

There are cabins you can rent on the south rim, which are nice, especially in the winter. Fewer tourists.

As far as things to "do," it's the Grand Canyon. You go there to look, and to hike. Not a lot of activities to do. It's a big hole in the ground.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Stayed in Williams at the Hotel that the train leaves from. Had a good breakfast in the morning in their restaurant, jumped aboard the train and took it into the rim. Great ride in and back after a few days staying in the Maswick(sp?) Lodges browsing the canyon. What a treat, glad I made the trip. Seeing the canyon for the first time coming into the canyon with the train was absolutely amazing...that is for a native Floridian. Had a great vacation there, highly recommended. The train back from the canyon was a treat with their staged robbery on the train! Would love to possibly do it again if I can. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’ve been to Grand Canyon dozens of times. Never rode the train though.

I’d be surprised if you can book a room at El Tovar as it fills up fast. The mule rides, Phantom Ranch, are all booked solid by now, usually. The other lodges will have to do. They are not oppulent but adequate.

By all means enjoy the dining room at El Tovar. The steak house at Bright Angel is very good too.

You are going at a pretty good time. We always went the 3rd weekend of April, after the snow, but before it got hot.

Unless you in superb condition, resist the temptation to walk down to the river. It’s further than it sounds, and the return is all uphill! We learned to exclude from our group those who were not marathoners/triathletes. Even they can struggle. The last time I went, I didn’t make it out until about 11 pm., completely wasted.

The rim is nearly 8,000’ so you have a lot less oxygen to breathe. I cannot go there anymore.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend taking the train. The only down side as mentioned is IF you can get a room at the canyon itself. Otherwise it's a limited visit.

Williams is a fun little town. Bearizona is just down the way, and the Deer Farm is also a quirky diversion. Flagstaff is only 30 miles away, if you need more to see/do.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
BTT for the weekend crowd input. Thanks

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
As regards the hotel filling. We found it was booked as well. In speaking with a staff member he said last minute availability was pretty common due to cancelations. The donkey ride to the bottom though almost never opened up he said.

So, if you can't get reservations keep the above in mind if you have flexibility in your schedule. We were there in early May and could have gotten a room that day but didn't.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post