SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    James Comey learned his J. Edgar Hoover lessons well
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

James Comey learned his J. Edgar Hoover lessons well Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
NY Post
By Michael Goodwin May 17, 2017 | 1:37am | Updated

Somewhere, J. Edgar Hoover is smiling. And why not, for the memo that James Comey reportedly wrote about a meeting with President Trump is positively Hooveresque in its potential implications.

Hoover died in office as the FBI director in 1972 because none of the six presidents he served under dared to fire him. They all feared he had too much secret information on them, so they kept their distance and he kept his job.

Maybe Trump didn’t know that history, but he’s suddenly getting a big nasty taste of it. A little more than a week after he fired Comey, Comey is firing back.

The New York Times report that Comey wrote a memo to himself after a February meeting saying that Trump asked him to drop the federal investigation into Gen. Michael Flynn could be political dynamite.

“I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go,” Trump said, according to the memo read to the Times. “He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go.”

The White House denies that Trump made any such request, saying in a statement, “The president has never asked Mr. Comey or anyone else to end any investigation, including any investigation involving General Flynn.”

That would seem to leave zero wiggle room. The memo, according to the Times, says the two men were alone in the Oval Office for the meeting.

The lack of witnesses could mean a he-said, he-said standoff, with no clear resolution. But that wouldn’t stop the issue from creating a media feeding frenzy and doing more serious damage to Trump.

Although his approval ratings among Republican voters remain high, his overall public standing is the lowest for any modern president at this stage. Even worse, the stream of off-track controversies appears endless and could scare off congressional Republicans and doom his America First agenda.

Already this week, the White House had to devote much of Monday and Tuesday to putting out fires about whether Trump gave Russian officials top-secret classified information last week. The press, based on anonymous leaks, insisted he had; the White House denied it, then said what he did was “wholly appropriate.”

And now comes a far more sensational charge, a gift-wrapped bonanza for Democrats determined to bring down the president.

Imagine the scene when Comey, as is inevitable, tells his tale to Congress in public testimony. It will be an international sensation. Watergate comparisons will be as thick as molasses and Carl Bernstein will be relevant again.

Moreover, the Times says Comey wrote other memos following other meetings with Trump, so it is possible the former FBI boss will make additional charges.

If it’s true the men were alone during the meeting, there is only one way for the White House to produce definite evidence that ­refutes Comey’s version.

Did Trump secretly tape the conversation? Recall that the president warned Comey in a tweet last week that he’d “better hope there are no tapes of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!”

Even though the White House has refused to say whether there are any tapes of any conversations, Congress wants to know and some members are threatening subpoenas. One way or the other, we’re likely to learn the truth now that Comey is leaking to the press.

It is noteworthy that he never complained about Trump until he was fired. He learned his Hoover lessons well, which is why I called him J. Edgar Comey two months ago. Maybe he really was, like his famed predecessor, too big to fire.

Ironically, one reason Trump fired him is that Comey refused to investigate leaks from within the administration of classified material, some of it bearing on national security. My view is that Comey may have been hesitant to investigate because he knew some of the leaks came from the FBI.

Indeed, it is highly likely that he or people close to him were a source on some occasions, such as when all the major Washington newspapers reported that Comey was furious that Trump had accused former President ­Barack Obama of wiretapping Trump Tower.

How did all the papers know at the same time, without a public announcement, that Comey wanted the Justice Department to deny Trump’s charge? Because “sources close to Comey” said so, that’s how.

Perhaps the media shares Comey’s fury at his being fired because they lost a good source, or at least someone who knew how the insider game was played and wouldn’t get in the way.

Trump, in that context, remains a refreshing change. He was elected to smash the status quo and has not lost sight of that promise, though he sometimes follows his disrupting instincts too far.

Whether his meeting with Comey was one of those times is about to become the question of the hour.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Grasping for anything at all. Comey is unequivocally a piece of shit career politician. Trump will stay President and more than likely carry out the full 8 years. In the words of Hildabeast, "What difference does it make".

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do the notes of an FBI director have some special magic that mine don't? In the absence of other evidence, how in the heck do we know if the conversation took place or if he wrote them "just in case"? I also doubt that any forensics can tell the difference between notes written a week ago or a month ago.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
And if Trump taped it?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I could easily imagine Trump asking him that. It would be normal in his world.

And I could easily imagine Comey shading the conversation to suit himself. A self-serving memo like that isn't very credible.

We'll never know. Each side will believe what suits them, and totally discount the possibility that it happened the other way.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Well put, sir.

I had the same thought but was unable to communicate it nearly as succinctly.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
.... I also doubt that any forensics can tell the difference between notes written a week ago or a month ago.

If they were electronic (an email or other text document) then there should be the means to tell. A hand written memo? Not so much. Unlikely it was a hand written memo in this day and age.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:Unlikely it was a hand written memo in this day and age.

Unless the author (who knows dang well what forensics are available) wants to be able to "adjust" the date.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
So how does this memo square with his testimony on May 3 when he said that nobody has asked him to stop investigations? He's a liar either way and has some explaining to do. Comey is such a pile of garbage.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he does produce the memo he should be charged with perjury.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about Comey.

Trump sent the letter discharging him, with enclosures, hand delivered in a manilla envelope by the Deputy Assistant to the President, his former head of Security, Keith Schiller, at a time when Comey was in LA, with no notice whatsoever. Did they confiscate the files and computers in Comey's office? Was that the reason for the timing and method? What have they found?

Comey has some disquieting connections. Lockheed Martin, HSBC, DLA Piper.

I watched a show over the weekend I have seen before about the case against John Gotti, how the FBI was able to plant a listening device in an apartment above the Ravenite social club occupied by the elderly widow of a mob guy. If they can plant something like that undetected, where can they not get a bug?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Comey is a proven, documented LIAR. I would have no trouble believing that he would fabricate documents to suit his purpose.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
And if Trump taped it?

I hope he did.

And I hope the tapes confirm that Comey is a liar.

And I hope the DOJ has the balls to charge him with perjury.

That's what I hope.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post