SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Yamaha Rhino utv owners?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Yamaha Rhino utv owners? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I am wondering about this utv. How is the quality. Seem's like it might be a bit more comfortable to drive and ride over the Polaris Ranger. This particular one is a 2006 660. Are these built as typical Yamaha quality. About 3k miles.
Any input or thoughts appreciated. Thanks, orc

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I have a Ranger and my buddy has the Yamaha. The suspension advantage goes to Polaris and it's not close. That Yamaha will pound your kidneys to a pulp in rough terrain.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed, the Rhino is a rough rider better suited to smooth roads/trails.
My brother had a 700 fuel injected model with a few modifications (none suspension wise) beats you up on rough trails.
Bucket seats & 4 point harnesses helped when pushing 50mph.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I am being tempted with one. Everything I have owned that is Yamaha has been very good and totally reliable. 3k does not seem like a lot of miles for an 11yo unit. And this unit was a one owner unit. Price is pretty good too.

I would love for some actual owners to chime in. Thx

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
My buddy bought a 2006 rhino new and it has been flawless. Not as fancy or fast as the new ones, but he has put nothing on it but brakes and gasoline. Still has the original tires and he has not been gentle with it.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Google "rollover rhino". I understand this almost caused Yamaha to exit the UTV market. I wouldn't be concerned about the quality though.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My dad bought one for our place up north. It had some superficial damage as it was clear it was laid over once. The dealer told him the original owners kids did it so he sold it. It sounded good, ran fine, no problems

By the 5-6 time we were up there it ran like hell. Took it to the local dealer and they tore the engine down. Full of damage from abuse. He ended up having it rebuilt.

Pretty solid vehicle since although it is a bit cold blooded in cold weather and you have to keep it choked awhile.

Oh, and so far we haven't found a lot that will stop it. But you are definitely not running over rough ground at any high speed.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
My dad bought one for our place up north. It had some superficial damage as it was clear it was laid over once. The dealer told him the original owners kids did it so he sold it. It sounded good, ran fine, no problems

By the 5-6 time we were up there it ran like hell. Took it to the local dealer and they tore the engine down. Full of damage from abuse. He ended up having it rebuilt.

Pretty solid vehicle since although it is a bit cold blooded in cold weather and you have to keep it choked awhile.

Oh, and so far we haven't found a lot that will stop it. But you are definitely not running over rough ground at any high speed.

Agree on the cold natured. You will need to use the choke to start it, but they are tanks.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Google "rollover rhino". I understand this almost caused Yamaha to exit the UTV market. I wouldn't be concerned about the quality though.

A number of years ago, probably around the same vintage of the machine you are looking at (2006), we traded one in with 6 miles on it, still new showroom condition. Then our service manager hopped in it and went for a spin around the building. On the first corner he dumped it on its side, tearing up the whole side of the machine. This was the only experience I've had with them so my opinion is tainted.

I believe these issues are what mandated doors being required on any UTV that goes over 25 mph.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a few extra dollars to spring for a Yamaha Wolverine? It's a 100% better machine.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I don't JD, thanks for the info guys.

BRL, that made me chuckle. I could see that happen. Probably not still the service manager?

Nothing I have read or watched has lead me to believe that the Rhino is not a good machine. And yes I have read about rollovers.

While I did pick up a used Polaris Ranger 700xp. At this point I am not convinced it is the best machine for my needs. At least not sure it is the only unit for our needs. I don't have much time in the field with it yet though.

The down side to the Rhino is it's small rear cargo bed. Not completely unusable. But pretty small. No turf mode. Plenty of power. Can tow up 1100lbs so is not bad.

Going to visit a bit more with the owner on it. We'll see

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure on the 660cc, but the 700cc definitely has plenty of grunt to get it up to about 55mph on smooth roads.
They are fun little UTVs & probably even better with a more sorted suspension. As long as you don't plan on racing through the desert in it, it'll probably serve you well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
This one is an 06' 660cc. The efi 700 would be preferable but finding one with low miles for this price would be difficult.

40mph on one of these type machines seems plenty. To be honest with vibration and noise I cannot imagine going even that fast with the Ranger Razz

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Rut roh, offer accepted. Now the fun begins. "Ah, honey, guess what?" Razz

Be a couple of weeks to work the details out. Smile