SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Simone Biles dominates sport following layoff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simone Biles dominates sport following layoff Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
So great to see an athlete doing everything to realize their potential. She takes a year off after 4 gold medals at the Rio Olympics and winning Dancing With The Stars, to dominate her sport.

If you watch even a minute to appreciate how good she is it is worth it. The best female gymnast ever, in her prime, pushing the limits of her capability.

She wins the World Championship on basically an off day for her.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/spor...egx0?ocid=spartanntp

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I don't have the depth of understanding of gymnastics necessary to truly appreciate how good she really is, but the awards she is winning, and winning so consistently, speak for themselves. For someone to rise to - and stay at - the pinnacle of their sport, especially a sport where such consistent dominance is rare and even unparalleled, is amazing in the true sense of the word. A once in a lifetime (or more) athlete. Go, Simone, go!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that gymnasts, especially female gymnasts, are some of the toughest athletes around.

My daughter was a competitive gymnast for about five or six years, rising to compete as a level-8, cusping into a level-9 by the time she was 9 years old. The girls she was competing against were usually two to three years older than her.

The dedication it took to do what she did was nothing short of incredible, pushing her physically and mentally to the limits, six days a week, three to four or more hours (sometimes) a day in the gym.

To be successful in gymnastics, to be able to succesfully do the seemingly impossible, gymnastics skills build on a never-ending cycle of success-failure-success-failure-success (etc.) step building, little by little.

In whatever she does now, my daughter stays focused and determined, NEVER letting failure or a set-back bother her one little bit (sports, academics, music, etc.). She is amazing!

Whatever sport she plays or participates in, whether it be on a premier travel soccer team, alpine ski racing, competitive diving, basketball, etc., she's out there working harder than anyone else!

She is one of the smallest players on her soceer team (U11) and plays defense. She sends more opponents off the field, and usually crying, than any other of her teammates! She's a beast!!

Anywho, it does not surprise me that Simone Biles is successful and dominant in her endeavors! It's in a gymnasts DNA!

Rob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cookster,

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
She is one of the smallest players on her soceer team (U11) and plays defense. She sends more opponents off field, and usually crying, than any other of her teammates! She's a beast!!

Power to weight ratio is the real key in a lot of sports, especially ones where you have to move your own body around for a significant time period. Congrats!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Biles lives about 2 miles from me.
The turnout around our neighborhoods when she came home from the Olympics was pretty astounding.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15312 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post