SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday United States Coast Guard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday United States Coast Guard Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
Happy birthday to you.

Semper Paratus.

In my recent trip to Normandy I visited the American cemetery. On the far side of the Memorial from the reflecting pool (see below) there is a long wall with a large frieze listing, by service, the names of the 1,577 brave men who went missing in action during the invasion (the number is less now, due to finding the remains of several dozen - these are marked with a small brass rosette).

Source of this beautiful image: http://whatdoiknow.typepad.com...rmandy/dscn1008.html

There are also many headstones bearing this inscription:

For me, the saddest of all was panel for the U.S. Coast Guard. It lists just one name, Seaman First Class Bernard L. Wolfe. There are other Coastguardsmen buried at the American Cemetery at Normandy:

MOMM3 August B. Bunick
S1C Fletcher P. Burton, JR
S1C Jack Albert De Nunzio
S1C Leslie Fritz
BM2C Harry L. Siebert, Jr.C
RM3C Stanley Wilczak

A total of 574 died in action during WWII, seven more died in Viet Nam, and one in Iraq.

All told, the USCG knows of 695 Coastguardsmen who were killed in action, but that number is probably higher.

Thank you one and all.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Semper Paratus! 227 and going strong.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday for sure! While a small overall number I understand the KIA data for the USCG reflect a significantly high percentage of loss based on how small the service is. Not sure if it is still the case but my long time high school best friend went in the USCG and was told at the time ( 1980's) there were fewer people in the USCG than the NYPD.
If anyone has data I would appreciate knowing how many USCG personnel have been lost in lifesaving / rescue/ law enforcement efforts? Certainly more than in combat operations

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Happy birthday for sure! While a small overall number I understand the KIA data for the USCG reflect a significantly high percentage of loss based on how small the service is. Not sure if it is still the case but my long time high school best friend went in the USCG and was told at the time ( 1980's) there were fewer people in the USCG than the NYPD.
If anyone has data I would appreciate knowing how many USCG personnel have been lost in lifesaving / rescue/ law enforcement efforts? Certainly more than in combat operations

The NYPD comparison still goes on today, but the comparison is only true if comparing NYPD employees in total to active duty members and civilian employees (leaving out reservists and auxiliary members), which I think is a fair comparison.

I don't have any info on deaths. When I was in (2005-2009) I don't recall any deaths relating to missions, but I might be incorrect.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I worked with the USCG port security units druing Gulf War I. Happy birthday to the Coast Guard!

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a four year enlistment in the USCG between 1976 and 1980. I was planning on completing a 20 year career , however the second ever worst President (Carter) starved me out of the service and back into the real world.
Two year on the High Endurance Cutter Jarvis USCGC-725 and two years at the Marine Safety Office -Port of Corpus Christi.
I struck my Boatswain Mate rating while on the Jarvis and was a small boat coxswain operating a 32'harbor patrol boat up and down the port.
I tried real hard to get transferred over to Port Aransas to run SAR missions on their 41 footers but it wasn't to be.
God has a plan for all of us and I wouldn't be where I'm at or doing what I do now if my plans had worked out the way that I wanted them to.
I see that now looking back over the years that have gone by since.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 126 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m58:
I did a four year enlistment in the USCG between 1976 and 1980. I was planning on completing a 20 year career , however the second ever worst President (Carter) starved me out of the service and back into the real world.
Two year on the High Endurance Cutter Jarvis USCGC-725 and two years at the Marine Safety Office -Port of Corpus Christi.
I struck my Boatswain Mate rating while on the Jarvis and was a small boat coxswain operating a 32'harbor patrol boat up and down the port.
I tried real hard to get transferred over to Port Aransas to run SAR missions on their 41 footers but it wasn't to be.
God has a plan for all of us and I wouldn't be where I'm at or doing what I do now if my plans had worked out the way that I wanted them to.
I see that now looking back over the years that have gone by since.

Welcome to the forum, shipmate. Thank you for your service. Good to see more of us here.

-wolff

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested to know haw many coasties we have on this forum, i know of about 10.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just went over 13 years Active and Reserve.

Posts: 410 | Location: PA | Registered: November 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
I'd be interested to know haw many coasties we have on this forum, i know of about 10.

I'm one,
Maddy is one too (he lives nearby although we have never met)
Kornesque (I think I spelled it right
and several other I can't recall right now.

Thank you to all of my brothers in arms; Army, Airforce, Navy, Marines and Coast Guardsmen.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retired Coastie here. CGA class of 82. Cutter Valiant 82-84, flight school, Falcons at Cape Cod and ATC Mobile, with a HQ tour thrown in for good measure. Retired in 2002. Father was '54, 30+ year man and my older brother was '81, "only" did 5 years after. Semper Paratus!

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:

I started a thread to get the answers.

-wolff

posted Hide Post
I have probably mentioned this on here before but I served from 81-85. First on the USCGC Boutwell WHEC 719 and then on the 41's at Station Seattle.

Every year on Coast Guard day my wife always acknowledges my service by sending me something special to work, mainly so others around me will be conscience there is a Coast Guard.

Coast Guard day always brings back one fond memory for me. I entered boot camp at Alameda CA (the man's boot camp) a few days before Coast Guard day. We were turned over to our Company Commander on the day the base was having it's official Coast Guard day celebration. From the forming barracks we could here the band playing and the forming CC told us "I'm glad I'm not in your shoes your new CC isn'the going to be happy today, he's probably mad because he's missing out on free beer at the picnic cause he's meeting you."

Posts: 66 | Location: Kansas | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to boot camp at Alameda as well. Many happy memories of picking crushed oyster shells out of the palms of my hands and my knee caps after completing a morning training cycle on the Grinder. Spent a lot of time hi-porting a M-14 rifle around the compound as well while singing "We are Delta of the night, we can't do anything right." Wasn't much fun then but the years have made the memories priceless.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 126 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post