SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Parris Island recruits had a ‘choice’ to go to ‘war’ — here’s what happened:
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parris Island recruits had a ‘choice’ to go to ‘war’ — here’s what happened: Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Have not read all the responses.

Question: If I understand it, the issue seems to be whether snowflakes who enlist in the military get to opt out if they are ordered to dangerous assignments.

If so, what the hell kind of military have our politicraps created?

I was well aware of the possibility of going into dangerous situations (like combat) when I enlisted. I knew the risks and accepted them.

Apparently, the concept of enlisting in the military has become one of ultimate free education, but the idea of actually fulfilling your duty/oath seems to have gotten lost along the line.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well shame on you! How was your trip on the Friendly Skies??

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Someone please tell me why women are necessary in the Marines.

Going to have to pass boss, nothing comes to mind, and I've been thinking about it for a long time.

I have been wondering why have women in any combat unit, or other units that might actually get into combat.

I have not seen any women capable of carrying, or dragging, a wounded soldier/marine to places of safety and treatment. Consider all the gear they are wearing with all that added weight.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Well shame on you! How was your trip on the Friendly Skies??

Friendly skies? I guess their continued focus on packing more and more people into smaller and smaller seats is supposed to equate to "friendly" skies. As someone who is 6'1" with a 54 inch chest, and larger shoulders, I can assure one and all that it is not a comfortable experience, even when sitting on the aisle seats.

Had on "attendant" run their snack cart into my knee, second pass into my shoulder, and not a single "opps, sorry" to be heard.

But I understand other airlines are pretty much the same way.

With just a little luck, that was my last experience with any airline.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure everyone noticed that both recruits mentioned in this hit piece were released for psychological reasons. Even if this "hazing" had not taken place I would wager neither of these recruits would have gone very far into their careers without some other event taking place.

It appears to me this exercise saved tax dollars as well as hours of grief to their future leadership, military service is as much mental toughness as it is physical.

So much this. They didn't even get discharged for their display of cowardice. One got a psych discharge at basic, and the other got an OTH down the line, most likely a failed drug test. They were malcontents who couldn't hack it, and they found a sympathetic media outlet to air their grievances. And it's highly likely both are on VA disability now.

Posts: 327 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I read the entire article, and I am skeptical about some of the click bait details.
First off, as many have stated, the Marines are a 24/7 mindfuck from the time you step on the yellow footprints, until the time you graduate or get thrown off of the island. I had a senior drill instructor tell me I was going to prison for entering his office while on fire watch. Three other DI's joined in, made a big deal of it. Went on for the better part of a day.
My recruiter told me that they wouldn't lay a hand on us. That was a lie. Several recruits got ass kickings. Or random "Hydration" checks to where recruits would be forced to drink water until they puked. I got to dry shave at the behest of a DI, then he sprayed Right Guard on my face.
For days we were out in the field, wet and nasty, and they made a big deal about when we got to bathe. We got to bathe, put fresh cammies on, and then they marched us in formation to the nearest waterhole and commanded "SEATS".

We ran. We did pull ups. We ran some more. And we earned the title of a Marine.

Some may not understand it. But, the Corps has a long time tradition of fucking with the minds of those that step on those yellow footprints.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post