SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CVS to impose additional opioid controls
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CVS to impose additional opioid controls Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
The announcement says "unless the client chooses to opt out"

We will definitely be opting out

https://cvshealth.com/newsroom...terprise-initiatives

Larry J. Merlo, President and CEO, CVS Health:

“Today we are announcing an expansion of our enterprise initiatives to fight the opioid abuse epidemic that leverages CVS Pharmacy’s national presence with the capabilities of CVS Caremark, which manages medications for nearly 90 million plan members.”

To support this goal, CVS Caremark will roll out an enhanced opioid utilization management approach for all commercial, health plan, employer and Medicaid clients as of February 1, 2018 unless the client chooses to opt out.

This program will include limiting to seven days the supply of opioids dispensed for certain acute prescriptions for patients who are new to therapy;

limiting the daily dosage of opioids dispensed based on the strength of the opioid;

and requiring the use of immediate-release formulations of opioids before extended-release opioids are dispensed.

My wife had an operation several weeks ago. Her recovery has been difficult w lots of pain. Twice I have had to argue with the CVS pharmacist about getting the pain killers prescribed by her doctor. The pharmacist has tried to tell me the renewal is "too soon" based on his interpretation of the prescription.

So far we have backed him down, but not without some arguing.

So we will opt out of this new CVS control program.

It is frustrating that honest people are always restricted somehow to accommodate dishonest people.

I should also add we are very aware of the dangers of opioid addiction. One of our close family members had a serious drug addiction problem (including pain killers) and eventually died of overdose.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
So, if they don’t follow the doc’s Rx, who gets sued when shit goes to hell?

Here’s to upcoming class action suits against CVS.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13069 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
They just need to fill the docs request or you need to find a new Pharmacy.

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've gone off on CVS pharms, I mean right in the store making a really big scene. You do not want to get between a legitimate pain patient and their pain meds.

So, how exactly do I opt out?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16803 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I was giving some stronger stuff after some dental work once but found 800mg of Advil worked much better for myself.

I've luckily never really had the need for serious pain meds. If I did I would discuss my needs with my doctor. Screw some pharmacy policy deciding what I can and can not take.

I understand this is a serious issue but I think there are better ways of dealing with it. I would imagine people abusing these drugs will op out or find another pharmacy.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16444 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CVS policy is pretty close to our recently issued Board of Dentistry guidelines. I'd guess every state is doing the same and prescriptions written for more than a few days of opioids will become much less common.

Posts: 9019 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to break this, but we/the patient are NOT the "client". The provider is. Not our decision; it is between the insurer and pharmacy benefits management company. So, and individual's only way of opting out is to try another pharmacy.

quote:
...CVS Caremark will roll out an enhanced opioid utilization management approach for all commercial, health plan, employer and Medicaid clients as of February 1, 2018 unless the client chooses to opt out.

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

And if your medical insurance refuses to pay for use of any other pharmacy?

I'm fighting a refusal to pay for a mandatory drug test! A drug test required by the fucking insurance company!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31957 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I've gone off on CVS pharms, I mean right in the store making a really big scene. You do not want to get between a legitimate pain patient and their pain meds.

So, how exactly do I opt out?

Find another pharmacy.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

And if your medical insurance refuses to pay for use of any other pharmacy?

I'm fighting a refusal to pay for a mandatory drug test! A drug test required by the fucking insurance company!

I've heard of insurance companies denying payment for meds but never for using a particular pharmacy.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
My wife had an operation several weeks ago. Her recovery has been difficult w lots of pain. Twice I have had to argue with the CVS pharmacist about getting the pain killers prescribed by her doctor. The pharmacist has tried to tell me the renewal is "too soon" based on his interpretation of the prescription.

The Rx is usually straight forward. Are they not following it?

posted Hide Post
The reason for this is government pressure. During the Pain Pill mill days, CVS was THE largest pusher of Opiates- Oxycontins and Oxycodones......by far.....it's a miracle they didn't get a VW sized fine.

Posts: 21405 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again addressing the problem of addiction with rules.

On the horizon no prescription for opiates along with benzos.

This sort of blanket edict will not address the ugly problem of opiate addiction which escalated rapidly in the mid 1990s with the introduction of Oxycontin. Heroin is cheaper than the pills, so now the heroin problem is no longer confined to the inner city.

Addicts will find a way around this pretty easily. Others will have a problem.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZSMICHAEL,

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason for this is government pressure. During the Pain Pill mill days, CVS was THE largest pusher of Opiates- Oxycontins and Oxycodones......by far.....it's a miracle they didn't get a VW sized fine.

Your blame should be on these guys, who brought you the problem, Purdue Pharma. CVS was just filling scripts. It is incorrect to blame them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05...rug-web.html?mcubz=1

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Unless CVS was filling illegal prescriptions, I doubt they can be blamed.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We used to have Eckerd Drug stores in San Antonio. I liked them. CVS bought them out, and I switched to Walgreens. They suck, but less than CVS.

Posts: 27146 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Very stupid! The fact hydrocodone went from a Class 3 to a Class 2 is just as stupid. All it does is make it harder for patients that need it. DEA can do analysis of prescription abuse no matter what. These things only hurt patients.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8733 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Fact is, a lot of "need" is really preference for less felt pain. Life will have pain in it, a sprained ankle or neck strain after a car wreck does not need ANY narcotic prescription, however, for nearly 20 years doctors have been told that whatever a patient rates their pain as it must be treated, even down to the patient's goal, which is always "0". Thus, Vicodin for sprained ankles, Oxy for a pulled back, and Fentanyl patches for non-cancer chronic pain. This is patently inappropriate, but the genie is out of the bottle, and a lot of people are now physically dependent because of it. Their nerves have been changed by constant exposure to opiates, and what would be a minor ache for an opiate naive person is a truly severe pain to them. The majority will have to detox in the end at some point. Morphine and all its natural and synthetic derivatives are not the answer for chronic conditions.

Posts: 2161 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Fact is, a lot of "need" is really preference for less felt pain. Life will have pain in it, a sprained ankle or neck strain after a car wreck does not need ANY narcotic prescription, however, for nearly 20 years doctors have been told that whatever a patient rates their pain as it must be treated, even down to the patient's goal, which is always "0". Thus, Vicodin for sprained ankles, Oxy for a pulled back, and Fentanyl patches for non-cancer chronic pain. This is patently inappropriate, but the genie is out of the bottle, and a lot of people are now physically dependent because of it. Their nerves have been changed by constant exposure to opiates, and what would be a minor ache for an opiate naive person is a truly severe pain to them. The majority will have to detox in the end at some point. Morphine and all its natural and synthetic derivatives are not the answer for chronic conditions.

I am not sure what doctors you are referring to, but they are definitely not the ones I have had. I have never been prescribed a narcotic for a sprained ankle, a broken finger or toe, or back pain. The only time I have been prescribed a narcotic was before and after surgery for something serious such as rotator cuff surgery and I needed it for more than 7 days. Hell, there are times I have been in so much pain from a motocross injury and they just tell me to take ibuprofen.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8733 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Very stupid! The fact hydrocodone went from a Class 3 to a Class 2 is just as stupid. All it does is make it harder for patients that need it. DEA can do analysis of prescription abuse no matter what. These things only hurt patients.

Opiates are not a cure or solution for long term pain. The patients tolerance grows so quickly as well as their dependency level that as a long term pain solution, they are not.

Posts: 21405 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post