SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about an analogue barometer/weather station
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about an analogue barometer/weather station Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
Since we are homebound these days I was thinking I'd enjoy watching and learning.

When I was a kid I remember my grandfather had a heavy brass set on his desk...barometer, thermometer and hygrometer.

Any thoughts from the resident weather aficionados?

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for a new weather station too. My old LaSalle has partially quit and no replacement parts are available.

I do have a Galileo Thermometer, it's very interesting and a great conversation piece. I think you'd enjoy having one to go along with your new weather station. They are very inexpensive.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/nrgD74Sc5VM

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I’ve been thinking about a Davis Instruments package and mounting it on my ham tower

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
If you like the ultimate in analog weather indicators, maybe consider a Goethe water barometer?

When you first get it, you put in some colored water, and the water inside and out are at the same level. After that, the levels in the spout and body change with changes in outside air pressure. The picture above shows what it will look like when the outside air pressure is lower than it was when the barometer was filled.

When the air pressure outside rises, it pushes harder on the water in the spout, and the level in the spout then would drop. When the air pressure outside goes back to where it was when the barometer was filled, the spout and body levels will be the same. And if the air pressure outside gets higher than it was when the barometer was filled, the level in the spout will be lower than the body.

Gives you a very visual, very graphic instant view of changing air pressure. My folks had one like this when I was growing up. You could tell when a storm was coming when the water rose up the spout, and in severe storms sometimes the water would pop out of the spout!

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A weather glass is a very old type of device used on sailing ships as a weather predictor. Actually kind of cool looking showing crystal formation as the indicator. Putting weather glass into google shows various options available from less than $10 to $150. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_glass

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Actual current barometric pressure isn't particularly useful. It's the changes in barometric pressure over time that you want to look at. Using an analog instrument will require you to plot pressure at fixed intervals, like every 15 minutes, over a period of time to see whether the pressure is rising or falling and how quickly that is happening.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I’ve been thinking about a Davis Instruments package and mounting it on my ham tower

My Davis Vantage Pro 2 has lasted 17 years in the harsh AZ climate. Now the sensors are failing, and the only thing left we can depend on are the temp, humidity, and dewpoint. Replacing individual sensors is very expensive, and can easily add up to the cost of a complete new unit. I don't have the $$$ to buy new, so I'm just letting this one die a slow death.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post