SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No more F150 - new Honda Ridgeline
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No more F150 - new Honda Ridgeline Login/Join 
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Nice, congrats! I had a '13 and it was a fantastic small truck. The trunk in the bed was one of the best damn things I ever used! It was an extremely useful and functional truck.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I like your new Ridgeline I should consider one myself.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
The process for validating my next vehicle purchase is now complete. Looks great!!

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
The 12 year difference in technology must be amazing. LOL.

If I may suggest a set of Weathertech rain guards since you're in FL where it rains frequently. That's if they make them for the Ridgeline.

I always get them for my cars.

The technology difference is huge. This thing will drive itself down the road in cruise control. The infotainment is leaps ahead, but I understand for 2018 they will be upgrading the processor and adding a volume knob. Honestly, works great for me as is.

I think my wife is more excited about it than I am - she loves the trunk, bed audio, full comfort package, sunroof, etc. this is a Lux truck. They did a great job with this, not surprised it just won Truck of the year - glad I bought it before that came out.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one from when they first came out-- I think an 06 model year but came out in 05. Love mine. Has 160k on the odometer. My son is going to "inherit" in when he gets his license in the summer. I absolutely plan on getting a new one for me. Good to hear the new version is well made!

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with my 2017 RTL-T AWD. It is leaps and bounds beyond in comfort and drive ability over my old Nissan Frontier.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Congrats - One of the best vehicles ever....miss our 2011. Some folks feel it is not truck enough...but honestly MOST truck owners don't use a fraction of their trucks capabilities anyway.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have been considering one of these to replace my 14-year old Silverado. It's obvious the technology and amenities are far superior, but could someone who has one comment on the Honda's load carrying ability with 4x8 sheets of plywood or Sheetrock panels? My old Chevy's 6.5' bed plus open tailgate keeps such panels fully supported for their entire length, but it looks like the Honda allows about a foot or so of panel to hang off the end of its open tailgate. Anybody done much of that sort of panel hauling and seen any issues when doing so (cracks or distortions in the panels where they're not supported, stuff like that)? Thanks.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As someone who's driven full sized trucks for the past 20 years, I have to admit that I did go and drive one of these a couple weeks ago because it intrigued me. The summary of this vehicle is simple. If you drive a lot, carry reasonable amounts of cargo occasionally, and tow very little, this thing shines like few other vehicles in its class. Its uber comfortable and quiet compared to a body on frame truck. Interior space is more than adequate (I'm 6'2"), and stuff like the in bed storage trunk sets it apart from the other small trucks customers might opt to look at when considering a Ridgeline. It also will handle full width sheet products on the floor of the bed. A very nice touch!

There are however a few nits to pick. And bear in mind, these are nits, not failures of the vehicle.
  • Price (at least here in Central Florida). Since they're selling well and are a new vehicle, dealers won't deal much if any off the 'inflated' MSRP pricing. A Black Version Ridgeline in Central Florida will run in the mid $40's. When I can buy a V8 half ton, very nicely equipped truck for less than the price of the two top level Ridgelines, it caused me to pause.
  • Rear Seat - I would have liked to see a little more knee room. The space available is good (much better than the Tacoma or Frontier), but if you put me in the driver's seat and another six footer in the rear seat behind me, it gets a bit tight. But my biggest gripe is the ridiculous big plastic and metal 'catch' running all the way across the rear floor for the bottom cushion seat support. In a world where every 1/2 ton truck manufacturer has found a way to offer a flat, unobstructed load floor even while dealing with a rear driveshaft and transmission tunnel, Honda could have found a better way to deal with the rear seat. With the rear seat folded up and two big dogs in the back, they'll never be able to lay on the floor. Or try stacking boxed products on the rear floor. It simply isn't going to happen. This was a real head scratcher to me given the other Honda innovations in the new Ridgeline.
  • Paint - We'll have to wait and see if the paint applied to these is harder / more durable than that applied to my wife's 2014 Pilot. The paint on her Pilot is so ridiculously soft that it chips like crazy. A 2013 Honda Accord owned by my mother suffered from the exact same issue. Without a doubt, the paint on the two Honda's I've dealt with is the softest of any vehicle I've ever detailed (and many here know I do a fair amount of detailing work).
Overall, the new Ridgeline should be a major success for Honda, and they should sell every one they build at un-discounted pricing.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My FIL got one a few weeks ago. Nice vehicle but it sits really low to the ground for a truck.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice review bigdeal. I peered in one in the local Honda showroom last year, when my Civic was in the shop. Have since bought a '16 F150.
I agree that the back seat legroom is tight, especially compared to an F150 (which may not really be a fair comparison).

I've had 4 Hondas (2 Civics, and Accord & an Acura TL) and only the Accord (1993 SE Sedan) had good paint. Both Civic had faded clear coat & the TL had multiple fine chips in the front.
Same can be said with the 2 Accords my sister had (98 & 02)

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15306 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Big Deal - nice review and I'd agree. On the price front, I'd suggest going through someone like Costco if you can - we did that and it cut the price considerably and got us out of the "well, this vehicle is in high demand..." game.

Regarding ride height it is actually fairly comparative EXCEPT for that front air dam. They do now have lifts, beefier tires and skid plates you can get if you want it higher - but that will change handling and mileage.

As Big Deal implied...it is an "80%" truck...if you are OK with get 80% of a truck's capability with 80% the size...you get a lot of good things that make this a good "sport" "town" or "light off road" truck. Definitely not for everyone, but we continue to be impressed - and up to its weight limit it does tow very nicely.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Can you fit a Honda CBR1000 in the bed?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have been considering one of these to replace my 14-year old Silverado. It's obvious the technology and amenities are far superior, but could someone who has one comment on the Honda's load carrying ability with 4x8 sheets of plywood or Sheetrock panels?

Back in the day, I could fit 4x8 panels in the trunk of my Oldsmobile. Just use a couple 2x4x8 under the panels for support

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post