SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yesterday our Governor of NC mandated the wearing of face masks.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yesterday our Governor of NC mandated the wearing of face masks. Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:

That was only one county. They also immediately rescinded that asinine exemption when everyone called shenanigans on it.

Appreciate the clarification. I didn't know they rescinded it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
Just because some people don't wear the mask properly doesn't reduce the value of the concept.
Oh yes it does. BIGLY!!
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
If you're infuriated by people trying to reduce the transmission of a disease, I'd suggest some deep cleansing breathes and personal introspection.
You betcha! Meanwhile, I'm gonna go put up a chain-link fence around my yard to keep the mosquitoes out. If you think that sounds asinine, your mask has about the same damned effect on the virus. Should SOME wear a mask? SURE! Should EVERYBODY be ORDERED to wear a mask? Well yeah...if you don't believe in personal Liberty and Freedom. And Common Freaking SENSE!

Our county "judge" is stretching her legal limits with her mask bullshit. This HAS to be the stupidest period in this country's history. JSMH..... Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot: Meanwhile, I'm gonna go put up a chain-link fence around my yard to keep the mosquitoes out. If you think that sounds asinine, your mask has about the same damned effect on the virus.

I agree with you that masks should not be mandatory, but that is a separate issue from effectiveness.

Careless use of the word "mask" to mean everything from a home made rag to a fitted N95 is about as useful as making a performance/capability generalization about "airplanes".

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Careless use of the word "mask" to mean everything from a home made rag to a fitted N95 is about as useful as making a performance/capability generalization about "airplanes".
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been stated/proven that even an N95 mask is not effective against viruses due to their microscopic size?? Honestly, I don't know. As a side note, I don't think I've seen ANYONE wear an N95 mask in my travels about the city. It's either the standard "surgical mask" or the neck scarf/rag one would pull up over their nose and mouth. Or a bandana...you know...1890's bank robber style. Chain-link fences...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba of Jackson going down same path. The clip below edited out his comment at same announcement when he straight threatened business that didn't enforce compliance with temporary revocation of their certificate of occupancy, IOW shut them down for some period. More to come today supposedly.

Y'all may remember this is the same rocket surgeon who earlier in the pandemic was going to reduce gang violence during the lockdown by issuing an executive order curtailing open carry. State Attorney General called foul on that immediately and he backed down after a couple weeks.

Link to press conference 6-29

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dusty78:
So if masks are so ineffective shouldn’t I have caught it by now? I mean I’m in contact with COVID patients in the ER every single shift and have been for months. Both the patient and I wear masks.

From what I understand. The masks help only a little from keeping someone wearing it from catching it. BUT they help an incredible percentage from helping someone that already has the disease from spreading it (germs flowing out of the mask). Given the long gestation period of people having it with no symptoms it would be easy for a carrier to spread it.

I have also seen many things through friends and friends and the spread of it and who catches/doesn't catch it is strange. One fire fighter (required to be tested), tested positive for it but had no symptoms. He went to lunch with his buddy who's older and a retired fire fighter. Well the older guy got it and is sick as a dog, worse than any flu he's ever had (but not so bad he's hospitalized). I also know several people that have gotten it, but their significant others or kids haven't gotten it at all, despite sleeping in the same bed, driving in the same car, living in the same house. So either some people already have some immunity from having various flu's, or your body has to be worn down or low on something in order for you to catch it. These are just casual observations.

I'm a smoker, so my hands are near my face often. I wear a mask and gloves when going into a store, then take the gloves off inside out when I get to my car and put them on the floor. I find the mask requirement as a major pain in the ass. BUT, I always wear one when going into a business, and don't fight the system and feel more comfortable with others wearing one in a store.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been stated/proven that even an N95 mask is not effective against viruses due to their microscopic size?? Honestly, I don't know...

That is not correct. While an individual virus particle is smaller than the mesh of an N95, that's not the way you are likely to get infected. Dry strands of DNA/RNA usually aren't floating around in sufficient quantities to make anyone sick. When you get a droplet or aerosol from an infected person into your lungs, it is likely to contain thousands (if not millions) of particles. Those aerosols ARE big enough to be (mostly) stopped by an N95. It comes down to reducing the viral load enough to allow your immune system to not be overwhelmed.

I am not a physician, but as a practicing dentist for 30 years, am quite familiar with mask performance and prevention of airborne illness. We are sitting in aerosols from patients breathing as well as those generated by our handpieces every day.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thanks for the education, Doc! Seriously!

Thing is, I'm just gonna rely on the good ol' immune system God gave me when I was conceived in the womb. It seems to have gotten me through the Swine Flu pandemic just fine. People can rant and rave all day long about a mask, and the Demotards and Leftist nit-wits can hand down their Tyranny as much as they want. But at the end of the day, I still believe that "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety". - Benjamin Franklin

Difference is, you breathe in who-knows-what from the gaping maws of your patients. I'd wear a mask too, under those conditions. Be well, sir...

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Brother, I can only lead the horse to water...

If you refuse to see the absurdity of it all, I can't help you.
Speaking of gardening, you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
So if masks are so ineffective shouldn’t I have caught it by now? I mean I’m in contact with COVID patients in the ER every single shift and have been for months. Both the patient and I wear masks.

From what I understand. The masks help only a little from keeping someone wearing it from catching it. BUT they help an incredible percentage from helping someone that already has the disease from spreading it (germs flowing out of the mask). Given the long gestation period of people having it with no symptoms it would be easy for a carrier to spread it.

I have also seen many things through friends and friends and the spread of it and who catches/doesn't catch it is strange. One fire fighter (required to be tested), tested positive for it but had no symptoms. He went to lunch with his buddy who's older and a retired fire fighter. Well the older guy got it and is sick as a dog, worse than any flu he's ever had (but not so bad he's hospitalized). I also know several people that have gotten it, but their significant others or kids haven't gotten it at all, despite sleeping in the same bed, driving in the same car, living in the same house. So either some people already have some immunity from having various flu's, or your body has to be worn down or low on something in order for you to catch it. These are just casual observations.

I'm a smoker, so my hands are near my face often. I wear a mask and gloves when going into a store, then take the gloves off inside out when I get to my car and put them on the floor. I find the mask requirement as a major pain in the ass. BUT, I always wear one when going into a business, and don't fight the system and feel more comfortable with others wearing one in a store.

Precisely why all patients are required to wear a mask. If they are sick but have one on the chances of me getting something (also wearing a mask) are very slim. This principle is applicable to society in general.

Last night I had multiple entire families come in (4-5 individuals) who were all positive. Some had minimal symptoms others were worse. Kids with asthma in particular were much worse off. Lots of kids have asthma.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Wear a mask if you want, but that dust mask, home made piece of cloth with strings attached, or a big blue snot rag tied over your nose & mouth, has about as much effect on stopping a virus as my under pants do at stopping a fart.

I WILL NOT spend the rest of my life wearing a mask!

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Precisely why all patients are required to wear a mask. If they are sick but have one on the chances of me getting something (also wearing a mask) are very slim. This principle is applicable to society in general.

Last night I had multiple entire families come in (4-5 individuals) who were all positive. Some had minimal symptoms others were worse. Kids with asthma in particular were much worse off. Lots of kids have asthma.

If I'm understanding this correctly, the virus is carried through the air in the moisture that is expelled while coughing or sneezing. If that is the case then this video done by a local news station is interesting.

https://www.khq.com/news/khq-i...6d-878bd6f54032.html

Personally, I don't wear one unless mandated by the merchant or business that I'm entering.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Jackson, MS now. Roll Eyes

quote:
Effective June 30, 2020: Per the Second Amended Stay Safe Jackson Executive Order, individuals in the City of Jackson are required to wear a face covering in public. Business owners must require all parties (employees, patrons, etc.) to wear a face covering. Businesses found in violation will be shutdown for 24-hours and must submit an Attestation of Compliance with the City of Jackson before reopening.

Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba EO

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local news just did a story that posed the question: Are masks effective?
A reporter was sent into a lab. While unmasked, and at arms length, he talked into a Petri dish treated to detect his "germs" He then sang, coughed and sneezed into separate dishes. He then repeated the test while masked.
Big surprise, the Petri dishes exposed while unmasked showed more germs.
There was little difference in the results between masked and unmasked for the talking test.
My takeaway: If you are not coughing, sneezing or singing, the mask seems quite unnecessary. If you are, just stay home. Especially if you tend to burst into song in the grocery store.
And of course they did no testing of any other methods of transmission.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Freakin' what?? Mississippi? Mississippi where? East Africa?

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Why Jackson of course!!

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Damn! When did Mississippi fall to the enemy? I was thinking it was one of the last bastions of freedom left.

My attorney is hoping I get arrested for violating one of El Dulces decrees. He says we will BOTH be able to retire on the lawsuit money. Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems a lot of places are not trying to enforce the mask orders. I had to stop in at two stores today and neither even batted an eye at not wearing a mask even though they had signs posted saying it was mandatory. Seems more and more people are fed up with douche bags "orders".

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn! When did Mississippi fall to the enemy?

^^^^^^^^^^^
We are talking metro Jackson here. We have a Republican Governor and are still second amendment friendly. I have yet to hear from a Karen or Chad. There were some protests in Jackson and on the Coast but no violence or looting. We continue to be first in poverty, and continue to be a very conservative state. People in the rural parts of the state open carry and no one says a thing about it.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Freakin' what?? Mississippi? Mississippi where? East Africa?
I'm not sure if you're ready for this, but he is the second Chokwe Lumumba to be mayor of Jackson MS.

His father, Chokwe Lumumba, was also mayor of that fine city.

Fear not though, the current Mayor Lumumba is well prepared for the job. In the summer of 2018, Lumumba attended Michael Bloomberg's "Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post