SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yesterday our Governor of NC mandated the wearing of face masks.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yesterday our Governor of NC mandated the wearing of face masks. Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
"Please understand we are on a small island with very limited medical resources. Masks required."

I don't understand this. Is the Commie Cold so bad up there that people literally drop out during daily operations? They need to be medevaced? People dropping in the streets, ambulance sirens roaring all day? How many 9 lines have they had to call? That quote from them is silly and irresponsible and is only designed to instill fear. How many cases have they had per capita? How many needed hospitalizations, how many resulted in death, how many were sniffles? Fear mongers.

The Commie Cold ain't EVER going away kids. EVER. Live life or cower in the corner.

I have chicken on the grill and Natty to drink. Have a good evening.

Here it requires a helicopter to take care of a kid with low blood sugar. The only medical providers are a couple EMTs and a nurse practitioner, not a single physician, and no ability to even observe someone medically overnight. THey basically have a family practice office and urgent care here. How many oxygen tanks do you think they have on the island? So, one big party (and they used to have some epic ones here) with a highly infective person spreading the virus could suddenly have a cluster of cases. Lets say there are 20 cases. At least two of them will need to be hospitalized (nearest hospital 2.5 hours away - it hires extra doctors for staff in the summer), the rest with regular monitoring and testing of all contacts. Do you think they're equipped to do that? The population here more than quadruples in the summer with travel.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
The population here more than quadruples in the summer with travel.

In the spirit of taking care of myself, that is somewhere I would definitely not be!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
So if masks are so ineffective shouldn’t I have caught it by now? I mean I’m in contact with COVID patients in the ER every single shift and have been for months. Both the patient and I wear masks.

Good for you. I'm sure you also wash your hands frequently and are very conscious about what you're touching.

How often are you tested?

Never.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if masks are so ineffective shouldn’t I have caught it by now? I mean I’m in contact with COVID patients in the ER every single shift and have been for months. Both the patient and I wear masks.

Dusty, what type of mask do you wear in that environment? Is it the type that would be rated for tuberculosis?

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
quote:

What mask do you wear while in contact with COVID patients?
If you wear a mask outside of seeing COVID patients, what type, where, and when do you wear it?
Have you prescribed Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) or other drugs to your patients, if so what drugs and at what state of illness were they prescribed?
If not why have you not issued prescriptions.

Saying you wear a mask really doesn’t do much to educate us.
Give us some details.

I wear an N95 when dealing with known COVID-19 patients or PUI (patients under investigation for COVID) and just a standard surgical mask when dealing with any other patients. With that said I have treated gun shot wounds, motor vehicle accidents, broken limbs etc...where the patient subsequently tested positive and all I had on was a simple non-fit tested mask.

We are required to have surgical masks at all times even when sitting at the nurses station charting not in contact with patients.

I’ve never prescribed HCQ. Our infectious disease guys never bought into it and that tricked down to us. Standard of care from the ER is limited IV fluids, no nebulized meds if we can avoid them, IV ceftriaxone (antibiotic) if they have findings on Xray/CT, high flow oxygen for hypoxia (low oxygen), try to avoid intubation at all costs, early proning.

For the people that aren’t too sick (no low oxygen, Etc...) meds aren’t really needed. If they get to point where they need meds they get admitted. The impatient teams are using remdesivir with good results.

I was there 8 hours today and admitted 3 more. One was a 24 year old girl with an oxygen saturation of 84 on room air. She was a known positive. she and her whole family went to a drive through testing facility yesterday. All were positive. I have admitted a good amount of COVID patients over the last couple months and I’m just one provider from a group who manages 10 ER’s in the Charlotte area. There are 3 other hospital systems with ER’s in the area also admitting patients. It’s definitely on the up swing. Fortunately the death rates are not rising along with the admissions. With that said people are still getting sick and they are often younger. I have already had a couple of COVID patients that were admitted later discharged coming back with strokes and pulmonary embolisms that are thought to be related to possible hypercaguability from COVID. One of my colleagues had a 7 month old patient that came in flaccid on one side from a stroke who also tested positive. When I heard that it scared the shit out of me.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:

From an assistant professor of molecular genetics and microbiology in the virology department: "the difference between a fitted medical grade N95 mask and a non medical grade mask in which people are able to get is tremendous. It would be like comparing a fishing net to a screen in your window. "

Additionally, a friend who is pulmonologist has suggested disposable, non medical grade masks, should be used once, and for no more than 30-60 minutes. He said he is seeing an uptick in bacterial pneumonia from people who are wearing them for excessive periods.

Lastly, my father suffers from asthma, and keeps a portable oxygen meter with him. He used a disposable mask, sat in his recliner for 30 minutes watching TV, and checked his blood ox level every 10 minutes. It went from 99% when he started, to 96% at 10 minutes, 94% at 20 minutes, and 91% at 30 minutes. No moving, just sat there watching TV.

Curious, I did the same after dinner, no movement, and used a cloth gator, and mine was 99% at zero minutes, 97% at 10 min, 95% at 20 min and 94% at 30 minutes, and I felt like shit and had a massive headache and was dizzy. I think it would have been far worse had I been doing any physical activity.

You can't tell me that that is good for most people.

We use the surgical masks single use only. I wear an N95 but it never seals well on my face. As for mask effectiveness put one on, cough on your hand with and without the mask and see if you feel a difference. While virus molecules are microscopic the chances of launching one 20 feet by coughing with a mask on is remote.

Also we have something called the virtual hospital set up that keep tabs on positive patients and their families and there has been lots of success in not spreading the virus to close family members even in tight quarters by everyone wearing masks all the time. I’m not discounting what your friend says but it’s just what we have been seeing. Wear a mask don’t wear a mask I don’t really care. It’s the bitching on both sides that’s infuriating.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
I just went to the local Harris Teeter. Nothing was said to me about not wearing a mask. Got groceries, paid and left.

Stopped at Dollar General for the wife. "No entrance without a face mask". I left. Fuck em. Went to Dollar Tree. No mask, no problem. Gave them my money instead. Smile Regards 18DAI

The local Target is also not saying anything about masks. Had to pick up an item and walked right in, got it and left. While waiting to pick up my order, an employee on the phone was telling a customer.... " why would we tell a paying customer to leave? We are not going to make someone leave because of not wearing a mask". I told the other employee nearby it was refreshing to see some common sense. I also sent Harris Teeter an email congratulating them for their common sense.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wear a mask don’t wear a mask I don’t really care.

If only it were that simple.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh, the .gov mandates I wear a seatbelt, and at least a loincloth when I'm in public, and I can't seem to boil up much righteous indignation over those restraints on my liberty, a mask that might prevent the transmission of an illness is nothing.

"So Others May Live": USCG Rescue Swimmers

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Someone in the medical field explain this procedure to me:

Here in CT we must wear masks. You will be refused entry and / or service if you do not comply. They just reopened restaurants and patios last week. When led to my table we were instructed to put on our masks. Once seated we could take them off. basically I was standing on the sidewalk in the queue waiting for my table with no mask on. Once crossing the imaginary force-field at the patio fence and walking 15 feet to my table I had to don the mask. When seated, I was allowed to take it off. Confused

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ventured out today curious about the mask situation since it is now a mandate. At Staples in Wake Forest, Everyone wore one. Then I stopped at a Speedway in Youngsville and not one mask was being worn inside. Finally stopped at a mini mart kinda place at a Shell station also in Youngsville and again, no masks, even the employees. I asked the clerk if she was going to ask me to wear one and she just said ‘nah’. Looks like things are so far more relaxed outside of Wake County.

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like things are so far more relaxed outside of Wake County.

It's all going to depend on store management at each place of business and how much they want to risk alienating customers.
I got a nice email reply from Harris Teeter thanking me for my letter after telling them how much I appreciated their common sense approach to this mask thing. I think we should take time to tell merchants that we appreciate them not tossing out customers whenever we can, and maybe more will begin doing the same thing.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I have one that when forced to wear it, it has some writing on it that says "This Mask is as Useless as the Governor."

There has been many positive comments on that mask and so far, nothing negative other than from my wife who thinks someone will shoot me for wearing it.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
Meh, the .gov mandates I wear a seatbelt, and at least a loincloth when I'm in public, and I can't seem to boil up much righteous indignation over those restraints on my liberty, a mask that might prevent the transmission of an illness is nothing.

Except preventing transmission of an illness is not the point of the mask mandates at all. I know this because hardly anyone wears them properly, and everyone knows it. Not to mention that not that long ago everyone now telling us that we should wear a mask were telling us not to wear them because they are ineffective and actually harmful. There is no standard whatsoever, just as long as you have something covering your face. People are satisfied even if the mask is simply hanging off one's chin just as long as you're showing that you're part of the herd. This has become a religious movement. I am 100% right about this. It has absolutely no relation at all to wearing a seat belt or walking through Central Park without your junk swinging in the breeze. It's damned infuriating that so many people follow along with this mindless folly.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Except preventing transmission of an illness is not the point of the mask mandates at all. I know this because hardly anyone wears them properly, and everyone knows it. Not to mention that not that long ago everyone now telling us that we should wear a mask were telling us not to wear them because they are ineffective and actually harmful. There is no standard whatsoever, just as long as you have something covering your face. People are satisfied even if the mask is simply hanging off one's chin just as long as you're showing that you're part of the herd. This has become a religious movement. I am 100% right about this. It has absolutely no relation at all to wearing a seat belt or walking through Central Park without your junk swinging in the breeze. It's damned infuriating that so many people follow along with this mindless folly.

So what is the point of the mandate? Politicians giggling an snickering because they got people to wear masks to reduce the spread of a respiratory borne virus? Just because some people don't wear the mask properly doesn't reduce the value of the concept.

If you're infuriated by people trying to reduce the transmission of a disease, I'd suggest some deep cleansing breathes and personal introspection.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The "governor" can dispense as many mandates as he wishes. They are largely being ignored. And other than a few liberal bastions in the state, are not going to be enforced.

The Sheriff locally has said no. And Judicial system folks I know are saying no too.

I hope the true conservatives left in the state come up with a worthy alternative to Cooper. The end of this commie cosplayers term can't come soon enough.

Disgraceful what these libtards and their media lapdogs have done to this country. Especially over the last 6 months with their phony plague. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

So what is the point of the mandate? Politicians giggling an snickering because they got people to wear masks to reduce the spread of a respiratory borne virus? Just because some people don't wear the mask properly doesn't reduce the value of the concept.

If you're infuriated by people trying to reduce the transmission of a disease, I'd suggest some deep cleansing breathes and personal introspection.

Brother, I can only lead the horse to water...

If you refuse to see the absurdity of it all, I can't help you.

For chrissakes, in Oregon blacks are exempt from their mask mandate. Yeah, this all about science. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I thought this was pretty good:

Them: You should wear a mask even if you don't need it.

Me: You mean like carrying a gun?

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
After today’s shift all I can say to my NC neighbors is buckle up.

Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
For chrissakes, in Oregon blacks are exempt from their mask mandate. Yeah, this all about science. Roll Eyes

That was only one county. They also immediately rescinded that asinine exemption when everyone called shenanigans on it.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post