SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yesterday our Governor of NC mandated the wearing of face masks.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yesterday our Governor of NC mandated the wearing of face masks. Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I think you guys are missing the point of this thread. The irony is that he "protested" weeks ago in a huge crowd without a mask, and now he is mandating everyone wear one now.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This mandatory mask wearing is all about controlling the population and the erosion of personal freedoms and nothing to do with safety or protecting others. For decades CDC has said the wearing of masks was ineffective in preventing the spread of viruses, for the first few months after the Covid 19 outbreak CDC was singing the same song and then suddenly masks are the best thing since sliced bread to retard the spread of the virus. Interesting how the same liberals governors/mayors that were threatening to arrest and fine business owners for daring to open their business or going after churches for having services in a parking stood idle while protestors stood shoulder to shoulder without masks protesting, destroying property, tearing down historical monuments and assaulting people.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
So if masks are so ineffective shouldn’t I have caught it by now? I mean I’m in contact with COVID patients in the ER every single shift and have been for months. Both the patient and I wear masks.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the issue with masks is the flip flopping.

In February and early March the CDC and WHO said masks were totally ineffective and people should not wear one at any time. The media picked it up and mocked and shamed anyone who was attempting to acquire a mask. Politicians implored people to quit trying to buy masks.

Fast forward and masks become the only way to save people. Must completely shut everything down, regardless of the consequences. No gathering together for any reason - even the death of a loved one. Too bad, must maintain social distance or you are a heartless murderer.

Next thing you know, so called healthcare experts and opportunistic politicians who have been calling people murderers for gathering in groups of more than 2 people are begging people to riot in mass gatherings, don't let a stupid little virus get in the way of your virtue signaling!!

Oh wait, Trump is planning a rally. Oops - virus is back to being the most deadly plague known in the history of man, everyone must wear a mask everywhere and we urgently need to shut everything back down again! Immediately!! Except for the riots - those can continue without criticism!

So to me - wear one, don't wear one - I don't care. Just don't approach me in public either way. Mind your own damn business.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I think you guys are missing the point of this thread. The irony is that he "protested" weeks ago in a huge crowd without a mask, and now he is mandating everyone wear one now.

Exactly.... as well as the fact that his orders have been illegal from the start. He bypassed the Council of State as required before issueing his executive orders and now finally, the Lt. Gov. is filing a lawsuit. Lots of people also noticed his not wearing a mask in room of reporters and officials less than 6 feet apart while telling us what us peons must should do, his hair was always perfectly trimmed while keeping barbers and salons closed, etc. The hypocrisy is very evident and people are fed up with him and this whole thing.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
Wearing masks can actually make things worse, particularly if protocols are not followed, and most politicians continue to demonstrate extremely poor protocols everytime they are on air.
Masks get wet and covered in any bacteria/viruses the wearer expels. Then they are invariably handled/removed while speaking. Then hands are not washed but handle podium, microphone, cash whatever. And of course there are the jackasses that throw their used, sodden masks all over the parking lots, or floors for children and animals to play with.
Sorry but without taking the time to do things right, this is simply virtue signalling.
Also I note that there is a move afoot to blame the current resurgence of cases on bars, restaurants and beaches, and not one single news source or politician has mentioned all of the giant demonstrations!

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
So if masks are so ineffective shouldn’t I have caught it by now? I mean I’m in contact with COVID patients in the ER every single shift and have been for months. Both the patient and I wear masks.

Good for you. I'm sure you also wash your hands frequently and are very conscious about what you're touching.

How often are you tested?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
In my opinion the issue with masks is the flip flopping.

In February and early March the CDC and WHO said masks were totally ineffective and people should not wear one at any time. The media picked it up and mocked and shamed anyone who was attempting to acquire a mask. Politicians implored people to quit trying to buy masks.

Fast forward and masks become the only way to save people. Must completely shut everything down, regardless of the consequences. No gathering together for any reason - even the death of a loved one. Too bad, must maintain social distance or you are a heartless murderer.

Next thing you know, so called healthcare experts and opportunistic politicians who have been calling people murderers for gathering in groups of more than 2 people are begging people to riot in mass gatherings, don't let a stupid little virus get in the way of your virtue signaling!!

Oh wait, Trump is planning a rally. Oops - virus is back to being the most deadly plague known in the history of man, everyone must wear a mask everywhere and we urgently need to shut everything back down again! Immediately!! Except for the riots - those can continue without criticism!

So to me - wear one, don't wear one - I don't care. Just don't approach me in public either way. Mind your own damn business.

This guy gets it

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes, the mask debate is a trap. Just worry about yourself and it will take care of itself.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSE:
Also I note that there is a move afoot to blame the current resurgence of cases on bars, restaurants and beaches, and not one single news source or politician has mentioned all of the giant demonstrations!

That's because contact tracers have been ordered to not ask people if they attended a protest/riot. You can actually find dozens of articles about how the riots are NOT the cause of the resurgence....They know that it really is, but are actively and openly covering it up.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:

What mask do you wear while in contact with COVID patients?
If you wear a mask outside of seeing COVID patients, what type, where, and when do you wear it?
Have you prescribed Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) or other drugs to your patients, if so what drugs and at what state of illness were they prescribed?
If not why have you not issued prescriptions.

Saying you wear a mask really doesn’t do much to educate us.
Give us some details.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

From an assistant professor of molecular genetics and microbiology in the virology department: "the difference between a fitted medical grade N95 mask and a non medical grade mask in which people are able to get is tremendous. It would be like comparing a fishing net to a screen in your window. "

Additionally, a friend who is pulmonologist has suggested disposable, non medical grade masks, should be used once, and for no more than 30-60 minutes. He said he is seeing an uptick in bacterial pneumonia from people who are wearing them for excessive periods.

Lastly, my father suffers from asthma, and keeps a portable oxygen meter with him. He used a disposable mask, sat in his recliner for 30 minutes watching TV, and checked his blood ox level every 10 minutes. It went from 99% when he started, to 96% at 10 minutes, 94% at 20 minutes, and 91% at 30 minutes. No moving, just sat there watching TV.

Curious, I did the same after dinner, no movement, and used a cloth gator, and mine was 99% at zero minutes, 97% at 10 min, 95% at 20 min and 94% at 30 minutes, and I felt like shit and had a massive headache and was dizzy. I think it would have been far worse had I been doing any physical activity.

You can't tell me that that is good for most people.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:

You can't tell me that that is good for most people.

It certainly isn't.

And now Summit County wants my 4 year old to wear a mask everywhere. Not happening. My daughter is going back to her Montessori school soon. I'm going to have to have a word with the school's owner and then the summit county technocrats for implementing this retarded mandate. No doubt I'll be at loggerheads with all of them. But I will not force my 4 years to cover her nose and mouth. This is abuse. Goddamn our governor for caving to these democrat authoritarians.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I live in eastern NC. Today was my first foray into the public after der Führer Cooper’s unilateral decree. So far so good. I was about to grill some chicken and all I had in the fridge was some Sam Adams. Too heavy for more than a few so I jumped into the jeep and headed to the gas station for some Natural. I was genuinely curious as to what I was going to encounter. If anyone asked I planed on telling them I have a medical condition that prevents me from obstructing my airways and go about my business. Turns out nothing needed to be said at all.

As I pulled into the parking lot I saw that it was packed. It is a beautiful day here. All 4 gas pumps were taken. Two had trucks with boats. No one pumping gas was wearing a mask. As I exited the jeep and headed to the door four young Marines exited, each carrying a case of Bud Light; none were wearing masks. They nodded hello and placed the beer into one of the boats. Next I held the door for an older lady as she exited with a six pack of some type of wine cooler. She thanked me, I nodded, bid her good afternoon, and smiled. She had no mask.

I went inside and there were two employees and three patrons (four counting me). None of the patrons had masks (including me). Both employee’s were wearing masks, the girl at the checkout register was wearing hers properly, the girl at the fried chicken counter had hers pulled under her chin. I smiled Smile

Went into the beer cave, grabbed a case of The Natural, paid, and went back home.

If we allow arbitrary decrees about wearing masks to take hold, they WILL become permanent. Mark my words.

Interestingly even wikipedia has a quote about Jackson I found relevant to today:

“As president, Jackson sought to advance the rights of the "common man” against a "corrupt aristocracy” and to preserve the Union”.

Thank you President Trump for defending the monument to an American Hero!

In honor of Colonel Jackson, and later President, and his bravery at The Battle of New Orleans I give you Johnny Horton’s “The Battle of New Orleans”…with LEGO’s.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One size fits all! Herr Pritzger will require ALL IL K-12 students to wear masks:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/c...cases-deaths-june-23

School’s in? Pritzker says classrooms can reopen in fall — with masks, temperature checks, other precautions

Schools must follow Illinois Department of Public Health requirements to reopen. Besides face coverings and social distancing, those include prohibiting gatherings of more than 50 people, symptom screenings and temperature checks for anyone entering school buildings, and increased cleaning and disinfection.

By Mitchell Armentrout@mitchtrout
Jun 23, 2020, 2:52pm CDT

Reading and writing and — restrictions.

Illinois’ 2 million-plus elementary and high school students can return to classrooms this fall for the three R’s and more under a set of public health requirements issued Tuesday by Gov. J.B. Pritzker, as schools across the state look to bounce back from a school year cut short by the coronavirus pandemic.

Pritzker’s office is also proctoring the cautious resumption of in-person classes at colleges and universities, all following the principles of Phase 4 of his reopening plan that’s set to take effect statewide Friday.

That means come fall, teachers, students and staffers will all have to wear face coverings and practice social distancing, while gatherings of 50 or more are prohibited. The state’s 852 school districts will have to beef up cleaning and disinfection, and each will need to “conduct symptom screenings and temperature checks or require self-certification that individuals entering school buildings are symptom free,” under guidelines developed with the Illinois Department of Public Health.

“This fall will not be business as usual,” state Schools Supt. Carmen Ayala said.

And it’s not set in stone, according to the governor.

“In the event of a dramatic reversal of local health metrics, or a second wave of the virus at some point during the school year, schools and districts must also prepare for the potential need to return to remote instruction,” Pritzker said.

That’s what happened in mid-March, when thousands of schools scrambled to institute virtual classes after Pritzker first shuttered schools as COVID-19 began on a path that has torn through all but one of Illinois’ 102 counties.

Since then, the state’s death toll has climbed to 6,707 among a total of 137,825 people who have tested positive for the virus. But its spread has slowed significantly over the last month, a trend that continued Tuesday with the latest 38 deaths and 601 new cases announced.

“The good news is that Illinois has seen declining cases and declining fatality totals week after week for the past five consecutive weeks,” public health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike said.

(graph not copied)

The challenge will be containing those numbers as more businesses reopen later this week and students return to campuses this fall.

“As we reopen aspects of our daily lives that coronavirus took away, it’s important to emphasize that the virus has not gone away,” Pritzker said. “It is still affecting and infecting people, some of whom are hospitalized and have severe complications.”

Pritzker said the state’s school reopening plan, hatched with infectious disease experts, “recognizes that Illinois is a diverse state, and school districts and institutions of higher education across Illinois will face unique challenges in how they’ll operate within their communities.”

The state Emergency Management Agency will provide more than 2.5 million cloth face masks for students and staffers, Pritzker said.

And as in other local facets of his reopening plan, school districts can choose to set more stringent reopening requirements. But the state Board of Education “strongly encourages schools and districts to provide in-person instruction for all students, especially those under age 13, to ensure children have rich instructional environments.”

The state guidelines mirror many previously drafted by Chicago Public Schools officials. Those city-specific requirements haven’t been finalized, according to CPS spokeswoman Emily Bolton, who said the district “is eager to open its doors to students as soon as it is safe to do so.” Summer school will be held virtually.

“We will continue to work closely with [the Chicago Department of Public Health] and the City of Chicago to ensure we are able to open safely,” Bolton said in an email. “Nothing is more important than the safety of our students, staff and families, and we remain committed to widespread engagement to ensure our plan for reopening supports the diverse needs of our entire school community.”

CPS officials are discussing their plan with stakeholders including the Chicago Teachers Union, whose President Jesse Sharkey said the state guidelines are “both too general and too vague to serve as a useful road map for CPS.

“In short, we’re going to be required to figure out many of the most critical features of school work for ourselves, in bargaining,” Sharkey said in a statement.

Leaders of the Illinois Federation of Teachers and the Illinois Education Association were similarly critical, saying the state road map doesn’t “address some of the most pressing concerns that make it difficult to social distance appropriately and monitor the health and well-being of all our education support staff, teachers and students.

“It is no secret that remote learning has been a challenge to teachers, parents and students and our membership looks forward to returning to in-person instruction, but anxiety remains high over class sizes and the lack of school nurses and other health and safety resources,” the organizations said in a joint statement. “We continue to be concerned about the deep disparities that exist in schools, especially in our Black and Brown communities, who still lack access to the internet and computers.”

(full guidelines not copied)

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I just went to the local Harris Teeter. Nothing was said to me about not wearing a mask. Got groceries, paid and left.

Stopped at Dollar General for the wife. "No entrance without a face mask". I left. Fuck em. Went to Dollar Tree. No mask, no problem. Gave them my money instead. Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I'm currently on Ocracoke Island, even before the order all the businesses here were mandating wearing a mask inside, except when eating. At first, I was a bit put off, but their business, their rules. Another business had a sign reading, "Please understand we are on a small island with very limited medical resources. Masks required." Which got me to considering just where I was, and the population. My nephew once was helicoptered off this island to an inland medical center for what was really a very simple problem (no specialized testing or even monitoring), but not something that could be handled at the local medical office on the island, or even at Outer Banks Hospital 2.5 hours north including a one hour ferry ride.
So with that sign, now I get it. Its an isolated place, which makes it probably the best beach in NC, and one of the best in the country. If you live here, recreation/tourism is about the only way to make a living, and thus forces you to expose yourself to people from everywhere. Asking them to wear a mask is not unreasonable, and they are doing the same for others.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Please understand we are on a small island with very limited medical resources. Masks required."

I don't understand this. Is the Commie Cold so bad up there that people literally drop out during daily operations? They need to be medevaced? People dropping in the streets, ambulance sirens roaring all day? How many 9 lines have they had to call? That quote from them is silly and irresponsible and is only designed to instill fear. How many cases have they had per capita? How many needed hospitalizations, how many resulted in death, how many were sniffles? Fear mongers.

The Commie Cold ain't EVER going away kids. EVER. Live life or cower in the corner.

I have chicken on the grill and Natty to drink. Have a good evening.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
"Please understand we are on a small island with very limited medical resources. Masks required."

I don't understand this. Is the Commie Cold so bad up there that people literally drop out during daily operations? They need to be medevaced? People dropping in the streets, ambulance sirens roaring all day? How many 9 lines have they had to call? That quote from them is silly and irresponsible and is only designed to instill fear. How many cases have they had per capita? How many needed hospitalizations, how many resulted in death, how many were sniffles? Fear mongers.

The Commie Cold ain't EVER going away kids. EVER. Live life or cower in the corner.

I have chicken on the grill and Natty to drink. Have a good evening.

Here it requires a helicopter to take care of a kid with low blood sugar. The only medical providers are a couple EMTs and a nurse practitioner, not a single physician, and no ability to even observe someone medically overnight. THey basically have a family practice office and urgent care here. How many oxygen tanks do you think they have on the island? So, one big party (and they used to have some epic ones here) with a highly infective person spreading the virus could suddenly have a cluster of cases. Lets say there are 20 cases. At least two of them will need to be hospitalized, the rest with regular monitoring. Do you think they're equipped to do that? The population here more than quadruples in the summer with travel.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I talked to my mom who lives in the Piedmont and she told me the local paper's headline is about the sheriff who says he will not enforce the rule.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post