SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New army unit, almost green beret
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New army unit, almost green beret Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
Has anyone else heard about this? My daughter has it on facebook. I generally do not do facebook, but got on it to see what was going on.

Seems the military (army) in its "wisdom" is assigning some portion of the SF uniforms to a new unit that is supposed to be training foreign(?) military.

As someone already pointed out, we have a unit that trains other units. It is called the SPECIAL FORCES!!!!!!!

Anyone else come across this?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, traditionally it was called the CIA. Big Grin

I have not seen anything formal regarding this.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They aren't getting SF uniform items. They are getting an olive green beret and a unit patch created by heraldry that looks vaguely similar. They are also getting a unit tab to wear only while assigned to a SFAB.
GEN Milley explains the reasoning behind the specifics fairly well if you're curious.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
They aren't getting SF uniform items. They are getting an olive green beret and a unit patch created by heraldry that looks vaguely similar. They are also getting a unit tab to wear only while assigned to a SFAB.
GEN Milley explains the reasoning behind the specifics fairly well if you're curious.

So how do I find what this general says about it?

Thanks

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
From a knowledge / skills view, I can see the benefit of compartmentalizing the knowledge of what you give to special forces executing missions versus the knowledge to people who will train foreign forces. Not that you're going to short-change the trainers in general special forces knowledge but may more mission/strategic knowledge. Less possibility of bleeding through information inadvertently.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
If it seems that we are a little "sensitive" about the Special Forces, it comes from our family experiences, and relationships with Special Forces members.

Our grandson spent a lot of time in various medical facilities recovering from wounds received in 2 separate incidents. Not to mention others from his team. Like Nick who lost his right leg above the knee, and Seth who lost part of his right leg.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

posted Hide Post
Just some background for some people who haven't heard about this:

Almost Green Beret

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:

Current and former SF lost their minds (rightly so) and the similar tab is now gone and the berets are going to be a noticeably brown in color.

"In accordance with Army guidance, we will select a new unit name. The Army has also decided the SFABs will wear a Brown Infantry Beret like those worn by many armies. Our new name and photos of the beret will be published once the final decisions are approved."

http://soldiersystems.net/category/forces-focus/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by choang3:
Just some background for some people who haven't heard about this:

Almost Green Beret

Thanks. Good to see that reason has prevailed. I guess I can go back to sleep now.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Army SF excells at training host nation or insurgency forces, depending on which side of the coin you're on. The limiting factor for the FID/guerilla MTOE is they pretty much top out at heavy crew served weapons. The SFAB is designed to provide a host nation with the training needed to stand up a traditional main force Army. This is something in both scope and volume that more than SF was designed to do, and something that non SF troops can excell at.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The whole "Black berets for everybody!" thing the Army pulled back in 2001 was bullshit anyway. I was in the Army National Guard when this happened and it felt like we were cheating the forces that DID earn a special headgear like Airborne, SF, etc

Most regular Soldiers didn't know how to properly wear one either and it didn't help that the issue black berets were HUGE and looked like stupid pizza chef hats. I bought one that was aftermarket and properly sized and learned how to wear it, but they are a PITA to put on right and hot in the sun. No wonder they went back to the BDU/Patrol cap eventually for everyday wear.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
...assigning some portion of the SF uniforms...

We have a uniform here? I need to review the waiver info. Big Grin

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
quote:
...assigning some portion of the SF uniforms...

We have a uniform here? I need to review the waiver info. Big Grin

Indeed, you do.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4070083234

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I read and researched (re-enlistment is coming up) it is supposed to be a dedicated unit/teams of trainers.

The Army stood up six of these brigades and are being called Security Force Assistance Brigades.

These are the first permanent units of its kind and is solely dedicated to advising and assisting foreign militaries.

The concept is supposed to free up combat brigades from being assigned to this duty, so those brigades can focus on what they are trained for: Closing with and destroying the enemy.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Six brigades!?!?!?

Could be as many as 24,000 troops, depending on head count in these 6.

When I was in the army, my DIVISION had about 18,000 troops assigned. I spent nearly 10 years in the 3AD in Germany, along the E/W border.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

posted Hide Post
according to press releases, it will be about 500 pax per BDE.
Link

They used the SFAT template.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
according to press releases, it will be about 500 pax per BDE.
Link

They used the SFAT template.

Thanks for the link. It looks like they are putting together a BDE senior leadership cadre of BT/DT officers and senior NCO's that will pull assets from wherever they are needed to configure for whatever mission they get. Should be interesting to see how it pans out.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thank god that this crisis has been averted. The nation can get back to worrying about the Kardashians.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I don't get the mission for this group. That's what SF is for. Why create a lower version for the same mission?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I don't get the mission for this group. That's what SF is for. Why create a lower version for the same mission?

esdunbar: See response from SgtGold above, which answers your question well:

quote:
Army SF excells at training host nation or insurgency forces, depending on which side of the coin you're on. The limiting factor for the FID/guerilla MTOE is they pretty much top out at heavy crew served weapons. The SFAB is designed to provide a host nation with the training needed to stand up a traditional main force Army. This is something in both scope and volume that more than SF was designed to do, and something that non SF troops can excell at.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post