SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World History Books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World History Books Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted
I didn't want to hijack the American History books thread, but wanted to ask.

What books would you recommend for a general, but comprehensive look at world history?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6038 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hands down, The Story of Civilization, by Will and Ariel Durant.

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Rush Revere series? Cool

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rch73:
I agree: very readable. Jim Allen completed the series right before his death. Be forewarned that the series is 11 big thick books!

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
“World” history is awfully broad, and I’m not sure there is a good single volume. Oddly enough, what I’d recommend is 1493 it’s sequel 1491. Both have a global scope, and help to set up why our current world is what it is. They also offer a great scholarly corrective to the “Colonialists are evil” view of history.

It is awfully dense, but Henry Kissinger’s Diplomacy has a long, sweeping view of European international history.

Narrowing it down really helps, and some of the best history books I’ve read are about single, discrete events— but place that event in much wider perspective. So, it depends on what you’re interested in before I could recommend much else.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rch73:

This.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post