SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Small "logs" for a fire pit?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small "logs" for a fire pit? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
My family took a trip to a cabin in the mountains twice this year. For my 8 year old son, the highlight of each trip was making a fire and making s'mores each night. So, Santa brought him his very own fire pit. It's one of those basic steel / aluminum models that sits above the ground and costs $79 or so.

Since we live in Florida, and the goal of this fire pit is not really to generate heat or create a long lasting fire, I need small logs that will last 30-45 minutes.

I found some 1 lb Dura-Flame logs on Lowes.com, but it looks like they are mainly used for starting fires. Would they suit my purpose on their own? Or should I use one of these logs with a basic piece of wood I buy in a bundle from Lowes?

There will be nights, like tonight, when it is cold and a full on fire would be nice. But most nights, he is just going to want to light a fire, make his treat, and then go back inside and I do not want to have to worry about leaving a fire unattended or dealing with the mess of putting it out.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I've purchased Dura Flame logs for when we find a hotel/cabin with a fireplace that requires the same (no real wood allowed) and they work fine. Not sure if it's the exact same product you speak of. I think the firestarters are exactly that, maybe just buy the larger fire logs and cut them in half or more.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
if I was going to use to cook food, even smoores I would not use those types of logs. I would natural firewood. That way, even you floridians can learn to cook meat and eat like savages. Trust me, try it. Your son will be better off for it. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Could charcoal work for you? You can pretty much control the burn by the number of briquettes.

Here's a simple DIY Mini Fire Pit for S'mores. Could even be placed in the fire pit you have. Use the size pot needed ... https://www.artsyfartsymama.co...-pit-for-smores.html

Of course there is definitely something to be said for a wood fire and flames but if S'mores is the only goal, charcoal might work for you,

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t use duraflames. I think they may even be a warning not to cook over them.

You would be better off with a propane fire pit but I you should be ok with just picking up sticks and pine cones for your purpose.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://www.publix.com/pd/simp...mixed/RIO-PCI-155932

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
If you can't find firewood, I would use lump charcoal. Kamado Joe lump charcoal has big chunks that would work well. Light it with newspaper or paper towels soaked in a bit of cooking oil. Duraflame logs have fuel in them that would, at the very least, make food taste bad.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bundle of wood at tractor supply or lowes is what I've used for exactly what you are describing. Occasionally I had to split the logs down one more time. They are normally less than $7-8.

Posts: 378 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I agree with a bundle of hardwood from a store. If you have campgrounds near you there are surely people selling bundles nearby. Usually a “self service” stand with $5 bundles. Use a chop saw to cut them in half.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12429 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mini wood splitter

You can split the wood bundles from lowes into smaller pieces

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Construction sites. Pick up the left over blocks if 2x4 and 2x6. Make sure it’s not pressure treated. The wood is free, easy to split into kindling. Burns easy and being that it’s SPF, it’ll burn out quickly and you won’t have a long lasting fire to deal with.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
we use Pinion Wood in our little fire pit. It ignites easily, burns clean, doesn't pop or give off hot flying embers, lasts a long time and smells great. It's not however advisable for direct cooking like marshmallows, S'mores etc as the smoke will taint the food. A bundle good for 4-5 fires costs about $11 at Lowes.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's always the KFC fire log, burns for 2.5-3 hours and makes your backyard smell like fried chicken! hehehee......made from recycled materials. But if you're cooking over it, I'd use real wood. Scraps of 2x4's from a construction site work well (non pressure treated).

https://www.amazon.com/KFC-Fir...3&sr=8-5&tag=mh0b-20

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Don't cook over a Duraflame log. Made with chemicals and sawdust that may not be safe for cooking over.

Get a bundle of hardwood from the grocery store for like $5. You can chunk the pieces a saw for slow burn, or split the pieces up for a fast hot burn. You can split with a hand hatchet, or learn to baton with a heavy knife.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

SPF
Confused

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
SPF is the species of which most lumber is made. Spruce, Pine, or Fir.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

SPF
Confused

I like SPF 50 so I don't get burned.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
As mentioned... you for sure do't want to use Duroflame or any of the other manufactured logs.... these critters have some nasty stuff in them....

best choice for what you want is probably to just buy some of that prepacked hardwood and then split it down to 1" thick pieces.... other choice ... go to Lowes or Homedepot and buy some red oak shelving and cut and split it....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Don't over do the camp fire or it will become a NOT special occasion when you go camping.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Lump charcoal... And a few pieces of real wood for the flame.. The lump charcoal will build a nice coal bed to cook om

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post