SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter and Archery - Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter and Archery - Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Kind of a bittersweet evening, proud of my my kid but bummed as well. This weekend was the AZ Junior Olympic State Championships for archery. Yesterday was recurve day and today was compound. Our daughter got diagnosed yesterday with bronchitis and strep throat. She really wanted to shoot today, with changing bows and Vegas coming in 2 weeks she wanted the time behind her bow in competition.

We discussed last night whether or not to shoot. Decided that since she would have been on antibiotics for 24 hours by the start of the tournament, we would leave the decision to her. She wanted it bad, she showed up, setup her bow, went through inspection and then just curled up into a ball in a chair. She went out, shot a 29/30 twice in a row for unofficial practice, came back to her chair, curled up in a ball again. I went to check on her and the response I got just reinforced our decision to let her decide for herself.

"Dad, I know I can win this, I want to shoot, I just don't have the energy to shoot 2 full scoring ends and I don't want to disappoint anyone. Would it be ok if I withdrew now before it becomes official."

I told her of course it would, mom took her home and she fell asleep in the truck before they even left the parking lot. Proud of my kid for her drive of wanting to shoot, but also proud of her for recognizing her limitations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11760 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got a good one there.

Good job.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I know way too many adults who aren't that smart. She is wise beyond her years.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I think she's gonna be just fine. Tough time of the year, my little guy, and my Maya, both have strep as well. Hope she gets better soon. Good job Dad

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
She just keeps amazing us with her maturity beyond her years.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry she was ill. Nice to see a fine young lady with loving parents engaging her in positive activities. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
I know way too many adults who aren't that smart. She is wise beyond her years.

For realz.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post