SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Becoming an NRA instructor?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Becoming an NRA instructor? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
For some reason or another, I've recently begun to kick around the idea of going through the NRA instructor certification for, I suppose, basic pistol. I'm looking at this as more of a way to round out myself as a gun person than some career, FWIW.

I read what the NRA website has to say on the subject, looked at materials, such as they are, and looked at some upcoming classes in my area, but wanted feedback from those who've done it.

How was the class, test, etc.? Is it really as basic as the NRA website suggests? A test where you need to load and unload a SA revolver, DA revolver and an autopistol? Then clear a double feed and a misfire from an auto? And shoot a 9" plate at 15 yds? Surely I must have missed something in my reading....

Thoughts from NRA instructors?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Can't speak for North Carolina but a ton of Michigan instructors are switching over to other certifying organizations due to the NRA's movement to blended curriculum, higher materials costs and their unresponsiveness to concerns about it.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
You can skip that test by showing a USPSA C class or better card.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the instructor classes to be fairly basic. Having a good training counselor makes a big difference in the quality of the class. The tests are not difficult. There isn't much demand for the NRA classes in my area... everyone seems to only want ccw.

Last update I received, the NRA was ditching the blended learning idea.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
I took the course back in 89-90. It was good. I was certified with rifle, pistol and personal protection. I did classes periodically for about 8 years. I didnt charge much as I was most ly concerned with teaching safety. During that time I was range officering as well, both indoor and outdoor. I was mortified at soem practices and pulled people off the line nearly everyday. I will say the Master Instructor that I had was great. He was very informative, practical and gave real life senarios and was excellent. As far as the test I really cant remember at this time as it was so long ago. To maintain my certification I had to inform the NRA how many I instructed per year with ages and sex. It was good back then, I couldnt say what it is like these days. Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I looked into it to help out at youth events.

But when I found that most instructors charge $200 plus for a minimum of 8 people in an 8 hour class at their home I stopped looking.

It is all for the money and not for bringing new shooters into the sport.

I am not rich.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed taking classes for instructor certification in pistol, rifle, shotgun, archery, and personal protection. I took the classes about 1984 and have kept my certification valid since. I have found it useful when conducting classes for law enforcement students at a vocal ed school I use to work in, and hunter safety for the last 30 years or so. It was also helpful when going to shoot in competition in other countries.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I was certified in basic pistol sometime in the early-2000s. I've never done my own courses, but I have taught multiple disciplines, including the personal protection courses, with other instructors who needed someone (like a lawyer) to teach the legal bits.

Instructor creds are usually a shortcut around various training requirements (carry permits, etc.), so that has come in handy a couple of times.

And BadDogPSD is correct - NRA is backing down from the blended learning thing, which was ill-advised and poorly implemented, so said we all.

My only other complaint is that they changed the damned instructor logo. The old one was a simple NRA emblem, only instead of reading "National Rifle Association", it read "NRA Certified Instructor" and it was in blue. The new one is some oddly-shaped gray on black multi-image graphic that is difficult to read and just looks... less sharp.

But don't let that stop you.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm retiring soon. Real soon. Been thinking about what to do with myself. Colleague at work suggested "firearms instructor."

Firearms has been the hobby/interest I've stuck with longer than any other and teaching (when I was in the military) has been the job I liked most out of all I've ever had.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows the best part of being an NRA instructor is the discounts on firearms.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I became an instructor 4-1/2 years ago, it was the only way I could become a CHCL instructor in the state and had planned on trying to teach a few classes a month. Shortly after I got busy doing other things and time for the NRA classes just isn't there.

Class and test wasn't difficult by any means and of all the topics I covered maybe 25% of it I hadn't learned or covered somehow before hand.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I am certified in Home Firearm Safety, Basic Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home and CRSO. I know teaching them has made me a better shooter. The tests are not hard and can be a lot of fun to teach.

Keep in mind these are intros to the basics of the discipline. The NRA has announced the return of a completely instructor led version of Basic Pistol. Do not go into this with the expectation of generating decent income stream. Do it because you like it because you won't make a lot of money.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I was certified about 4 yrs ago. Basic Pistol & Personal Protection in the Home.
FWIR first you had to take BIT which is Basic instructor training to teach you how to be a teacher. Then on to the Basic Pistol class. This qualifies you to teach First Steps Pistol classes which are specifically for a certain pistol as well as the NRA Basic Pistol Class. I enjoyed the class, tests were open book and you were also graded on the things you mentioned about hands on loading/ unloading misfeeds etc.
You had to be proficient shooting as you will be teaching others to shoot.
I teach a combination of Basic Pistol along with PPIH material for my CHL classes. I always cover the state mandated material which is right out of the NRA basic pistol course plus other stuff I have determined over the years to be important and needed.
I stopped teaching the Basic Pistol Class when NRA in their wisdom thought blended learning was a good idea.

I think it cost me around $400-500 to get my NRA Certification from the NRA Training Counselor
You can take range safety officer online for a cost as well.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
organizations due to the NRA's movement to blended curriculum

Now gone.

I'm certified in every discipline but Rifle. I'm not impressed with the NRA system. Classes are dying out in this area. The blended classes were a disaster. A few years back training materials were not available because of their incompetence. It seems that the NRA Training Program is a afterthought to them.

The discounts on firearms are far from impressive.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I did all of my instructor certification before the blended courses; pistol, shotgun, rifle, PPIH, reloading. Prior to our state passing constitutional carry, I did classes regularly...not for an income, but because I enjoy teaching. Now the demand for CCW courses is low. I do some private instruction with couples and very small groups but don't bother with the NRA material anymore.

The classes are basic. The tests are easy.

One of my good friends here locally is a regional training counselor, and he only holds courses a couple times a year. I had to go to a different counselor to get my reloading certification.

Is it worth it? Depends on your local laws, and what you plan on doing with it.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I do the NRA PPITH class, that is the class to get a CPL in Michigan.
(There is a couple of other orgs that have approved classes but the NRA one is the main one.)
I do small classes from time to time. Found that some of the older ladies want to learn discreetly. It is best if their husbands are someplace else when working with the ladies. I have also done a couple of wheelchair bound folks.
I do not charge except to cover my cost.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I'm not in it for the money.

But I want to encourage women to learn to shoot, or at a minimum learn to safely handle a gun in case she or a child in her care comes across one. Also to help dispel the myth about guns.

When I encounter a woman and the convo turns to guns, I sometime hear "I've always wanted to try it, but I am nervous. I don't know where to go."

Which of my responses is more likely to get a positive response:

"I can show you how. I have been shooting for years and I know what I am doing."

OR

"I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor and I will gladly teach you how, from the ground up. Free."

But I am honest. I don't say that I will make someone the best shooter in the world. I am not that good. But what I AM good at is going by the book. Teaching the safety and laying the foundation completely. Managing expectations.

My latest student always wanted to shoot. I taught her. She was determined to overcome her flinch, and by God, she did. She outshoots me.

This has been a dream of hers for years, and I made it come true. All I did was get her started and she took it from there.

She did two defensive pistol courses with bigredfish. Next is Intro to IDPA and then instructor training.

You can touch and change lives. It ain't all about the money. But having the instructor title instills more trust than just "the guy down the street offered to take me shooting."

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On a Wing
and a Prayer
Picture of Pilken
posted Hide Post
I am an NRA Basic Pistol instructor and also took the course before the online blended courses started.

The class I took was well run, and I learned a lot about how to run a class, and how to teach it the "NRA way"

The tests were simply to demonstrate safe handling of, and respect for firearms in general. We had one guy in class who was a bit "off" but was able to complete the tasks.

I got my cert in order to be able to teach CCW in IL and I've taught small classes for family and friends (and friends of friends) and will take newbs shooting every once in awhile.

It was a worthwhile class, I'd like to take the other disciplines as well, but haven't found the time.

-------------------------
“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
- Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2624 | Location: FINALLY just outside of Chicagoland | Registered: April 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I am NRA Basic Pistol Certified and taught in MA. The Basic Pistol course is one of the safety classes that allows a MA resident to apply for their MA License To Carry (pistol permit, covers long guns too).

When the NRA changed to the Blended class, they technically changed the course and was no longer a MA certified course that allowed one to get their MA Basic Firearm Safety cert. So the NRA took away my chance to help people get their gun licenses. Even with the new version they have that is instructor taught, the course has to be checked and approved by the MA gurus before it can be an accredited class.

The NRA pulled the rug out from under hundreds of the Basic Pistol instructors here in MA.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I did rifle and shotgun because the Boy Scout national organization required it for us to have a sanctioned Boy Scout shooting event.

It was worthwhile and not too onerous. I wouldn't do it just for grins, though. It wasn't that great.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post