SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ‘No MSG’ restaurant in Florida busted with 15-pound tub of MSG
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘No MSG’ restaurant in Florida busted with 15-pound tub of MSG Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
Bet this happens more than we think but I'd be more worried about the health violations Eek

quote:
An MSG-free restaurant in Oviedo, Fla., has reportedly been stockpiling a secret ingredient in its kitchen — a "tub" of MSG.

The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) recently shut down the Asian Express restaurant located in the Oviedo Mall’s food court for a number of violations, one being the fact that they kept a large tub of MSG — or monosodium glutamate — in their alleged MSG-free kitchen, reports The Orlando Sentinel.

“Operator advertises no MSG and has a large tub of MSG [15 pounds] in the restaurant,” the inspectors noted during their June 21 visit. “Operation also uses a granulated chicken stock that has MSG in its ingredients.”

Reports indicate there was a “large NO MSG sign” out in front of the restaurant; the operator of the establishment also claimed the MSG was for his personal use.

An inspection report available on the Tallahassee Democrat labeled the violation as “misrepresentation” and “misbranding.”

During the investigation, heath inspectors also found evidence of roaches, improper food storage and a possible “mold-like substance” in the ice machine, among the 27 total violations named in the report.

The restaurant didn’t return a request for comment by the Orlando Sentinel, but a spokeswoman for the Oviedo Mall told the Sentinel that the Asian Express had quickly reopened.

In an inspection on June 23, The DBRP said Asian Express “met inspection standards,” this time earning only four “basic” violations — not one of which had anything to do with MSG.

MSG has long been used as a food additive to add savory, umami-filled flavor to dishes, but it has come under scrutiny over the years amid claims of adverse reactions, such as headaches, flushing or sweating, among other conditions. The FDA recognizes MSG as “generally recognized as safe,” and says scientists have “not been able to consistently trigger” those types of reactions in placebo-controlled studies.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-dr...5-pound-tub-msg.html

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Enough to kirr erephant!

"According to the Associated Press, the comedian, who was best known for his routine about an all-you-can eat Chinese buffet and for guest-starring on the series finale of "Seinfeld," was found dead of natural causes in a Pittsburgh hotel room.

Pinette, who had struggled with his weight for decades, died of natural causes, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office. Pinette's personal doctor also signed off on the cause of death, meaning no autopsy is planned. "

No autopsy? Hmmmm ...

http://articles.latimes.com/20...-dies-at-50-20140407

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reports indicate there was a “large NO MSG sign” out in front of the restaurant; the operator of the establishment also claimed the MSG was for his personal use.

LOL. Who is going to believe that? Is he snorting it?

I was just in this mall a couple days ago. It's a smaller, lower traffic mall but it's close so we come here to the food court for lunch from time to time. We usually eat at the pasta place or Chick Fil-A.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have a sister who is extremely allergic to MSG. She gets so bad shE has to go immediately to the ER.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Oviedo Mall has fallen quite a bit, small, not a lot of stores still, great theater, watched it decline over the years as far as quality stores, Macy's just pulled out, Not sure how the others survive.

Food Court is half empty, used to be a hopping place until they built a massive outdoor mall south of the University, thats where all the kids, college, and other go now....

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I used to buy Accent Flavor Enhancer (MSG). I liked it, and never suffered any ill effects. I haven't seen any in my local supermarkets for quite awhile, but I just discovered that it's available on Amazon.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I get a hit of MSG from a restaurant, the effects typically start about 4 hours later. I notice a racing heart, nightmares (people coming to get me), a pounding chest, clenching and grinding of my teeth, etc. Typically lasts another 4-5 hours. One time I clenched me teeth so hard that I broke a molar and needs a root canal and crown. MSG is very powerful, considered to be a neurotoxin.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I always ask for extra MSG.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
More like MMMMMSG

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3596 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sign said "No MSG." They had a tub of "monosodium glutemate" but no Master Sergeants on the premises. Plausible deniability? Big Grin

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Wikipedia article on MSG:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

… The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has given MSG its generally recognized as safe (GRAS) designation.[Gov. 2] A popular belief is that large doses of MSG can cause headaches and other feelings of discomfort, known as "Chinese restaurant syndrome," but double-blind tests fail to find evidence of such a reaction.[Gov. 2][6] The European Union classifies it as a food additive permitted in certain foods and subject to quantitative limits. MSG has the HS code 29224220 and the E number E621.[Gov. 3]…

I don't fear gluten, either.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have friends with MSG allergies and it's a crapshoot eating out. A restaurant will be safe for years, and get a new cook and a few hours after leaving the restaurant life begins sucking (migraine, racing heart, sweating, numbness, etc).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
MSG weaponizes inside of me and produces toxic gas that is deadly to those around me. For the well being of my familial and business relationships, I steer clear of it. Plus, I think it taints our precious bodily fluids.

Posts: 2513 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Okay, lets see. The restaurant claims they have no MSG in their food and the owner gets busted with 15 lbs of the stuff. Seems legit cause if he was putting the stuff in the food, there wouldn't be 15 lbs siting around.

Sounds like the guy was pulling the little packets of MSG and setting them aside so it wouldn't be in the food...

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
MSG is delicious!

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I got bad MSG headaches as a kid if I ate a lot of Chinese food. But not as an adult. I suspect it's sort of random and hard to test in a lab situation.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Migraine and blood pressure spike with me....but I still eat it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I got bad MSG headaches as a kid if I ate a lot of Chinese food. But not as an adult. I suspect it's sort of random and hard to test in a lab situation.

I would get those headaches as a kid too. Doesn't seem to bother me now, although I will only eat it in small quantities. Who knows, maybe Chinese restaurants would over use it in the 80's

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I used to deliver restaurant provisions. If there is a YUUUUGE sign saying "no MSG", they use plenty.

I don't know exactly how many places used to get the stuff from me, but at least 80% of the asian (all flavors) places either got it from me or I saw it in the kitchen.

There are many, MANY places near my house I will not eat at. Many.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post