SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Here Play Ukulele?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Here Play Ukulele? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
On a whim, I bought for my six year-old granddaughter as a Christmas present, an inexpensive ukulele. I'm a long-time guitar player, and every time she comes to visit, she loves plunking on my carbon-fiber travel guitar (since it's carbon-fiber, she can't damage it, so I let her wail away). I'd like to encourage her interest in playing music, so the uke seemed like a good idea.

Then I got to thinking: if she likes the instrument, but the one I got her is too cheap (won't stay in tune, sounds "tinny," etc.) she might lose interest. So, I bought another, higher quality, ukulele. My thinking was that if she liked the "toy" I bought her, I'd gift her with the upgraded model on her seventh birthday, in July.

Of course, I can't leave well enough alone. Smile

I've been playing the newer uke. A lot. As a guitar player, I find it easy to learn, so I'm playing some of my "repertoire" on it as well as learning some easy Christmas tunes that I can teach her when she gets her present (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, for example).

Now, there's a chance she won't like the ukulele, or even the idea of playing music. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? But *I* like it. So, in seven months I might find myself keeping the newer uke (a Kala KA-15C Mahogany Concert Uke). I'd really rather she get it, so if my wishes come true, I'll probably want to replace it with one of my own. So, which?

The Lohanu LU-C and the Lankai LU-21C are both highly regarded, and not expensive (I know ukes can be as pricey as the best guitars, but I'd rather keep it under $100), but there are so many brands and models around, I don't know where to start. Baritone and Tenor ukes are probably not under consideration at this time, so that leaves Concert and Soprano models. I think I'd look first at the Concert models.

Your thoughts?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
This isn't the classifieds, but I have one of these I want to sell (in like new condition): KALA solid Acacia Tenor Ukuele, Model# KA-ASAC-T

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I am also a guitar player that picked up a Tenor Uke. I found 'Ukelele Mike' site to be interesting. I see Mike passed away last year but he lives on on youtube.

Take a Hawaii cruise and you'll probably have lessons by an accomplished player like Tiki Dave on Princess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a lick but love the music, just started listening to Kris Fuchigami

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I think the most famous Uke player was Tiny Tim.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
I think the most famous Uke player was Tiny Tim.

Arthur Godfrey preceded Tiny Tim by years and was inducted into the Ukulele Hall of Fame in 2001.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Jake Shimabukuru is the absolute master of the ukelele. If you ever get a chance to see him I cannot more highly recommend you do!

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6auXngY51U

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Jake plays a Kamaka, but those run around a grand.
I also have a tenor uke, really like the richer sound.
There are probably a lot available on Craigslist, it’s something people buy on a whim and then find they don’t use.

Looking in local Craigslist there’s a Lanikai tenor uke for $200. I would think if you really might want to play it that going cheap would not be satisfactory in sound, accuracy of frets, maintaining tune, etc.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Not a lick but love the music, just started listening to Kris Fuchigami

Thanks for sharing this. I really like his sound.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I have a Kala long neck soprano ( this one. ) Soprano body, concert-length neck. I bought it to learn on-- expecting to "trade up" to a higher priced/higher end one if I caught on-- but have never felt the need. On sale, they commonly run a few bucks under $100.

Posts: 2457 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Apart from the time factor, which would obviate any of the great classic composers, there has to be some good reason why I can't find a single example of classical music played on one of these things.

Imagine, if you will, Samuel Barber's Adagio in G played on an orchestra comprising massed ukeleles, banjos and kazoos.

Excuse me, I'm going to have to lie down for a while.............

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
This has been an interesting discussion. I've thought about getting a use off and on for awhile.
I think I'll bite the bullet and give it a try.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine, if you will, Samuel Barber's Adagio in G played on an orchestra comprising massed ukeleles, banjos and kazoos.

Imagine, if you will, massed children leaving band and music all together to go back to their phones because teachers and role models are stuck on forcing the model that is based so far in the past that they cannot possibly relate.

Wink

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:

Imagine, if you will, massed children leaving band and music all together to go back to their phones because teachers and role models are stuck on forcing the model that is based so far in the past that they cannot possibly relate.

Wink

At the End of All Things, when the Great Spirit gathers all together to make the 'keep or save' decision, the preponderance of those sent to ever-lasting nothing will be those who attempted to somehow improve upon the existing number of musical instruments, and the means by which we 'enjoy' them.

Included in that ever-increasing number, will be the following -

1. The Kazoo.

2. The Ban-jo.

3. The Triangle.

4. The Ukelele.

and, by no means last, by way of remotely enjoying music, elevator and call-centre 'muzack'.

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post