SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question regarding private sale of handgun to a 20 y/o, MO residents especially
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question regarding private sale of handgun to a 20 y/o, MO residents especially Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
So I know it varies state to state, but trying to find the relevant statute(s) that allow (or don't dis-allow) private sale of a handgun to someone that is younger than 21 years old in the state of Missouri. If anyone can point me to them I'd appreciate it, my Google-fu hasn't turned up anything yet, but I've been trying to work off my iPad.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not the actual statute, but it's a starting point.
Link

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
18 is the minimum age in MO.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Of course the minute after I posted this topic I found this.

Unlawful transfer of weapons, penalty.

571.060. 1. A person commits the offense of unlawful transfer of weapons if he:

(1) Knowingly sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to any person who, under the provisions of section 571.070, is not lawfully entitled to possess such;

(2) Knowingly sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers a blackjack to a person less than eighteen years old without the consent of the child's custodial parent or guardian, or recklessly, as defined in section 562.016, sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers any firearm to a person less than eighteen years old without the consent of the child's custodial parent or guardian; provided, that this does not prohibit the delivery of such weapons to any peace officer or member of the Armed Forces or National Guard while performing his official duty; or

(3) Recklessly, as defined in section 562.016, sells, leases, loans, gives away or delivers a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to a person who is intoxicated.

2. Unlawful transfer of weapons under subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section is a class E felony; unlawful transfer of weapons under subdivisions (2) and (3) of subsection 1 of this section is a class A misdemeanor.

The way I interpret the bolded text would clearly seem to indicate that a 20 y/o would be able to purchase a handgun via a private party sale. Anyone see it differently?

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
The way I interpret the bolded text would clearly seem to indicate that a 20 y/o would be able to purchase a handgun via a private party sale. Anyone see it differently?
That's how it reads to me, IANAL.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
US law allows possession of a handgun for a person over 18. An FFL can't sell to a person under 21, but a private sale is lawful someone over 18.

The minimum age to get a CCW in Missouri is now 19 y.o..

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, just a sanity check on my part.

Complacency sucks…