SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tires - Since when do I need....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tires - Since when do I need.... Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Double tap

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I had a 1997 Silverado 4x4 that was having issues shifting in/out of 4 wheel drive so I took it to a highly rated drivetrain service shop.
I had replaced 2 tires in the summer time and when winter time hit was when I first tried to use the 4wh drive.
2 new tires were on the front. After checking out everything I was told the difference in size of tires, newer vs older, while same brand & size were the problem.
The shop supervisor had a GM truck similar to mine he had the workers switch his tires onto my truck and told me to take a test drive. After 30 minutes of in/out 4wh drive testing I as convinced. Tires switched back to proper trucks, 2 new tires to replace older tires and everything was fined.
I was told AWD vehicles are worse to have that problem, so bad that they tell owners to replace all 4 tires before the will service the vehicles.[/QUOTE]

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
So is this guy / business shooting for sales quotas, or can mismatched tires cause problems down the road...
If all the tires are fairly new, say, <20% worn, there is some wiggle room. In that case, replacing just the one tire shouldn't harm anything. If they are all significantly worn, one new tire, because its circumference is different, will cause problems with AWD differentials. The different rotation speeds will heat up the fluid or clutches (whatever it uses, if any) in the center and rear differentials and shorten their life. Similarly, you never use different sizes of tires on a RWD limited-slip differential. This is unfortunately the price you pay for AWD.

This is a good description and guide. I'd add that cars now with complicated stability control systems can get wonky with different circumference tires as well. I suspect you have such a system on a 2015 GMC.

You didn't post the mileage on the tires, but as others noted that's a relevant factor. I suspect they are originals, and have 30-40K on them?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
What does the owners manual say? Follow that recommendation.

I've got a 2013 Jeep Patriot & I had a tire dealer try to get me to replace all 4 tires saying because of the 4WD. My owners manual only recommends replacement in pairs. Needless to say that shop lost a sale & any future business.

4wd and Awd are different systems. I believe most Awds are controlled be computer as to which wheels to send power to. Having different size tires messes with the calculations. Most 4wds don't lock the front and rear driveshafts together in high range hence the
per axle requirement.

I know that. My initial point was to follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

My Jeep has Freedom Drive 1 which monitors wheel slippage & transfers power to the axle that needs it most. It also has the ability to engage & lock 4WD. With this system, Jeep recommends replacing tires in pairs.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post