SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Minneapolis Folks Advice on Getting Around
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minneapolis Folks Advice on Getting Around Login/Join 
posted
I have to work in Rochester MN Tuesday. I fly into MSP tomorrow around 5 and fly back out Wednesday morning.

Given the Chauvin trial verdict coming soon and now the new issue in Brooklyn Center I'm trying to make sure I can get into and out of MSP without issue.

Anyone who is familiar with the area are there any spots between MSP and Rochester on the usual routes that I should avoid?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Change your plans...

It will be worse than bad.

Black Yute Shot By Police

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
There’s really only one way into/out of Rochester. You’ll be fine.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Rochester is a pretty little town. You’ll be fine.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Following I have to fly in at the end of the month. I Will be getting a car and leaving that area when I land. Do have the spend one night near the airport right before I fly out a few days later.

This trip has been pushed 2 times with COVID already and I don't think it can get pushed again.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Following I have to fly in at the end of the month. I Will be getting a car and leaving that area when I land. Do have the spend one night near the airport right before I fly out a few days later.

This trip has been pushed 2 times with COVID already and I don't think it can get pushed again.

There's a hotel/motel right on the airport campus with a footbridge/skyway into departures. I think it's a Hilton group or maybe Marriott.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

I'm not so much concerned about Rochester. More the travelling in and out of MSP. I know one of the attention tactics these groups like lately is to block expressways. Can't always predict where they do it, but for example Seattle where I work a lot (and will be the end of the week) they like to block I5 so I forego it and take the 405.

Just wondering about past blocking of expressways or if there are areas that I'll pass through on a typical route to Rochester that might go through some vibrant areas where they might decide to pull this crap.

Looks like my route is 5 to 55 to 52. It's been a while since I've taken this trip, but if memory serves 52 is a rural stretch so I guess my only area of concern is 5 and 55.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

I'm not so much concerned about Rochester. More the travelling in and out of MSP. I know one of the attention tactics these groups like lately is to block expressways. Can't always predict where they do it, but for example Seattle where I work a lot (and will be the end of the week) they like to block I5 so I forego it and take the 405.

Just wondering about past blocking of expressways or if there are areas that I'll pass through on a typical route to Rochester that might go through some vibrant areas where they might decide to pull this crap.

Looks like my route is 5 to 55 to 52. It's been a while since I've taken this trip, but if memory serves 52 is a rural stretch so I guess my only area of concern is 5 and 55.

Again, you’ll be fine. Although I certainly understand your concerns.

Truth is, the route you need to go really has no viable ‘choke points’ to stop traffic. 55 takes you through a few ‘neighborhoods’, but overall you are not going to be anywhere that usually attracts the riff-raff.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Ronin 100%, that area really didn't have issues the last time around and I don't foresee this time as well.

Posts: 338 | Location: Twin Cities MN | Registered: April 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that no one offers a commuter flight from Minneapolis to Rochester. Just typing out loud..... ;- )

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
One thing to keep in mind is the media and now social media tends to magnify and hype what's happening in a small section of a city or area and make people think the WHOLE city is burning when its not.

I recall being in Germany in the mid-90's when there were riots involving skinhead Nazi types in larger cities like Berlin and the one year I went home on leave I had several people ask me if I was OK and expressed concern that Germany was burning and there was mayhem everywhere. I never saw any of that, it was as peaceful as can be for me and I never felt unsafe traveling around by myself.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The airport is pretty far from where the protests are happening (Brooklyn Center/Minneapolis) - you'll be heading south (away) from that area down 55/52. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you had to go to Minneapolis/North Minneapolis area.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Really happy I'm getting my son out of that town in a few months.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post