SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving with firearms
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving with firearms Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
friend moved from Va to Fla and back,

took his collection, wiped everything down, and put them in cases,
then put the cases (soft cases) in a wooden box he built,
basically just a light frame of 1x1's and 5/8" plywood exterior,
looked just like a moving crate,

movers used a refrigerator dolly and put it in the truck, and out to his new place,

easy peasy,

of course, he had about 50 screws a side and told them it was something besides firearms,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaycat:
I'll be escaping, I mean moving from California in a couple of months....

Go cat, go.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left CA in 93 with a small collection. I bought a Yakima rooftop carrier. We stayed in motels on the first floor. We'd park near the window, then shove the roof box thru the window. The box secured well enough for us to make short stops for food, etc and wasn't too hard to handle. One note-the box secured to rails that stayed on the car. I failed to trip a few extra inches off each side and thumped my head a bazillion times. Kept the wife laughing though.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I grew up in TN; you’ll be much happier there. Like it has been said, keep them in your vehicle as you go down I40. Since you’ll be passing through friendly states the whole way, the only time I’d be worried would be when parked overnight at a hotel. If using a truck get GOOD padlocks and park in a well lit area as close to the hotel entrance as possible. Look for cameras and try to park within their view.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be moving within a few months myself. Virginia to Missouri. 2 300-400lb safes, rifles, handguns, a few shotguns, a shitload of ammo & accessories. Planning on 2 26ft uhauls, with the safes& guns in the truck I'll be driving. Everything locked in cases, unloaded.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7655 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
To add to my post:

When I drive across state lines with firearms I call the State Police in every state I am going to drive through and ask what the laws are...

I wouldn't do that. Don't ask - don't tell.

You might get a hot-shot Rambo type cop who wants to make a name for himself go look for you.

Take I-40 and you'll be OK. Just beware of high winds in Arizona if your pulling a trailer.

Congrads getting out of Commy-for-nia.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Vino Veritas
Picture of Jaycat
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I am planning to use a moving company for my furniture etc. We will ship one car and the wife will fly with the dogs. I guess I will drive the other car with my guns and try to make it in two to three days. I am a soon-to-be--retired LEO so I'm not worried about ccw issues. Would it be better to go the Southern or Northern route? Same distance almost.

Cant wait to get to Tennessee! One of my neighbors has an m113 an a howitzer in his back yard!

Thanks
Jaycat

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Clarksville TN | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I-40 will take you directly into Tennessee. Some rough road in Arkansas, but you bypass Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex HEAVY traffic. Plus you avoid El Paso traffic.

Southern route is I-10 to I-20 split to Dallas and I-30 split(see above). West Texas is BORING, after the stress of driving thru El Paso.

IMO, I would take I-40.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
When I used to move back and forth to school halfway across the country each year, I always fount it easy to pop out the back seat bottom cushion and stash a few rifles in there. Nobody ever seems to think about that unused space.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
On trips unrelated to my move, I have taken both the northern (I-40) and southern (I-10/20/30/40) routes from CA to TN. The southern route might be better in the dead of winter since you get out of the snow country of AZ and NM, otherwise it pretty much sucks, as well as being ~150 miles more. Since you're going in March or April, this won't apply.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re transporting them yourself, unless you’re sleeping in your car/truck, you’ll need to bring them into your hotel room each night. They’ll need to be cased up just for that little movement which is a pain in more ways than one.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Moved from coast to coast with all our firearms in back of the truck.

Took 3 days, slept in the truck and showered at completion of journey. Was pretty ripe when I arrived. Big Grin

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I moved my safe with most of my guns in it. It took 4 or 5 movers to get it into and out of the moving truck. I drove one of our cars with SD guns, our 80 lb dog, and a few other things the movers wouldn't take, like open bottles of booze.

Our move was paid for by an employer, so the additional cost for the weight of the safe was covered.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Between the southern route and the northern route, the southern is simpler, but the northern is nicer IMO. Where in TN are you headed? I'm sure happier to be here than in CA where I came from.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
To add to my post:

When I drive across state lines with firearms I call the State Police in every state I am going to drive through and ask what the laws are.

I've found that asking the police what the laws are is often a bad idea. You are much better off with: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
True. I called a state police office to ask similar questions about transporting firearms, and the first thing the sergeant asked me was what was my name and address. That conversation didn't last very long. Another time I called and the sergeant gave me a very bad answer with completely incorrect information. So I agree, the last place to get information about the law is LEOs, they don't seem to make an effort to understand the details of the laws in their own state. Of course there are exceptions, but this is just two examples of more I have experienced with LEOs operating with incorrect information about the laws they're sworn to enforce. Like I said before, hire good people and get good officers. Otherwise...

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8660 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sell your off roster goodies before you split, make enough to buy them all back inT N plus subsidize your move.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
sell your off roster goodies before you split, make enough to buy them all back inT N plus subsidize your move.

this is good advise, unless of course they are hard to find collectables

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I would drive with your firearms, and as many core valuables as you can fit. I would tow a trailer or rent a vehicle if needed.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post