SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    U of Missouri Update
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

U of Missouri Update Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
That loon professor Click was hired at Gonzaga. She'll be clacking at her shenanigans again soon...
The troll literally disappeared into the forest lands...

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
when Payton Head, the student association president, posted on Facebook that people riding in the back of a pickup truck had continuously screamed racial slurs at him.

Unbelievable. As:
"The student body president at University of Missouri has apologized for spreading false rumors about a “confirmed” instance of Ku Klux Klan members on campus.
Payton Head, who is black, warned students on Facebook Tuesday to “stay away from windows in residence halls,” because the “KKK has been confirmed to be sighted on campus.” He also purported to be “working with” the University of Missouri Police Department (MUPD), the state police and National Guard over the alleged threat."
http://www.washingtontimes.com...-president-apologiz/
And
"According to the campus police, the incident happened near campus, not on it, and the Columbia Police Department did not receive a report on the incident from Head. In other words, other than Head’s social media post, there’s no evidence the incident occurred."
http://www.dailywire.com/news/...r-racist-ben-shapiro
Then there are the number of racial hoaxes
https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/20532/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son graduated from Missou this pas May and a speaker at commencement took a swipe at President Trump in her speech..totally uncalled for.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
The author of that article has the improbable name of Anemona Hartocollis, a NYT writer. It began spelling out the enrollment decline and the reverberations caused by it. It soon devolved into more liberal bullshit. I was sorry I read it.

I thought about responding to some of the more overt BS in it, but decided it would be a waste of time. A lot of those "racist" incidents were probably the creation of the SJW's themselves rather than outright KKK level racism. And some of it is probably just alcohol induced college kid stupidity. The whole 'feces swastika' has the distinct odor of SJW. It's about their level of intellect. A real KKK type would likely have just used spray paint.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
So, if I read the article correctly, the Mizzou problem is because the university still isn't diverse enough?

That's what the University Admin thinks apparently.

Crazy leftists. My sister is a Prof at a state Univ. in California and she says its unbelievable.

She 'tends left' in some ways but is capable of cogently arguing point / counter-point. But she is vehemently capitalist and pro-military. She says its like being in Bizarro world - 'doublespeak' like 1984.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Well, with any fringe group, denial is common when the things they believe in don't work.

Take the gun control crowd. When they are faced with inconvenient facts like Chicago has really strict gun control, but yet people are less safe, the left ALWAYS says it's not a gun control failure, it's the fact that they need just a littttttttlllllllleeeeee bit more gun control to make it work.

I get emails from Mark Kelly and Gabby Giffords and their gun control touting ilk daily. They are in a tizzy right now, and there are moist panties abound.

I hope that all of these SJW crap shoots continue to go broke. Karma is a bitch.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope that all of these SJW crap shoots continue to go broke. Karma is a bitch.

The only problem is that Mizzou is the largest statewide, taxpayer supported university in Missouri. It won't just go broke and disappear. The taxpayers of this State will be forced to make up the shortfall.
Another argument for private education. If private schools are this stupid, people withdraw and the school changes its' policies quickly or shuts down.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

The only problem is that Mizzou is the largest statewide, taxpayer supported university in Missouri. It won't just go broke and disappear. The taxpayers of this State will be forced to make up the shortfall.
Another argument for private education. If private schools are this stupid, people withdraw and the school changes its' policies quickly or shuts down.

That is on the state legislature. If the state legislature is allowing money to be thrown at some sort of half assed bailout due to bad business practices, it is probably time to clean house at the state house.

These local elections matter, and this is why.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

Aly Zuhler’s mother and cousins went to Missouri, and her mother would have liked for her to go there as well, she said. But Ms. Zuhler, who is Jewish and grew up in suburban St. Louis, said she could not stomach going to a place where blacks and Jews might feel unwelcome.

When she heard that a swastika had been smeared in feces on a dormitory bathroom at Missouri, she decided not to apply. She enrolled instead at Truman State University in Kirksville, Mo., where she will be a sophomore this coming year. “Looking for colleges is intimidating just by itself,” she said. “Adding anti-Semitism on top of that was just too much.”
I thought I read the police ran dna on the feces and found a black person smeared the feces (ie another fake racial crime)?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is on the state legislature.

The state legislature is MUCH more conservative than the liberal academics running the school. They aren't blindly throwing money at it. $55 million has been cut from MU’s budget:

Interim Chancellor Garnett Stokes announced plans to slash up to 400 jobs. Most will be open positions that will remain unfilled. Others will be eliminated through attrition, and the remaining 100 will be layoffs.

Morale understandably has taken a hit.

The job reductions are a result of a $55 million cut to MU’s budget and come as the campus is predicting a second year of declining freshman enrollment. All of the state’s universities are absorbing a 6.58 percent decline in state funding.

A proposal to raise MU’s tuition by 2.1 percent has been made, an attempt to recover lost funds. It’s a risk, though, as higher costs could lead people to seek a less expensive education elsewhere.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Then it sounds as if the taxpayers WON'T be forced to make up the shortfall. That is a win.

www.opspectraining.com

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a win.

Sort of... and I concede your point.

But the actions of a few hurt everyone. I don't have my own kids at the University of Missouri system, but many of my friends do. They just want a good education. They may be white, but they aren't racist and don't want to join any protests or have anything to do with those issues. My own daughter, who is pursuing engineering, had the opportunity at the University of Missouri-Rolla (not the same campus as Mizzou, but part of the University system) which is now known as Missouri S&T, but chose the University of Tulsa. I'm glad she did.

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That is a win.

Sort of... and I concede your point.

But the actions of a few hurt everyone. I don't have my own kids at the University of Missouri system, but many of my friends do. They just want a good education. They may be white, but they aren't racist and don't want to join any protests or have anything to do with those issues. My own daughter, who is pursuing engineering, had the opportunity at the University of Missouri-Rolla (not the same campus as Mizzou, but part of the University system) which is now known as Missouri S&T, but chose the University of Tulsa. I'm glad she did.

That is good for your daughter. As an employer of graduate engineers, Mizzou is now off my list of possible employables. Maybe not fair to the individual students but actions, or inaction as the case may be, have consequences.

Posts: 113 | Registered: February 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Those pesky Russians.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
Here's an interesting twist.

Russian hoaxers ‘hijacked’ Mizzou protests to inflame racial tensions, says military researcher

Maybe Islamic troll bots too, huh? Even so, they merely took advantage of our own domestic asshats shooting themselves in their collective feet. That seems to be a common thread in these foreign intrusion efforts, throwing gas on existing fires.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
On Nov. 2, a graduate student, Jonathan Butler, began a hunger strike, spurred by the complaints of racial animosity and official inaction, as well as a cut in graduate student health care funding.

Over the weekend of Nov. 7, the football team, led by its black players, said it would not practice or play unless Mr. Wolfe resigned. It was the last straw. On Nov. 9, Mr. Wolfe resigned as system president, and the chancellor of the Columbia campus, R. Bowen Loftin, also announced he was stepping down. Mr. Butler ended his hunger strike.

I remember that week. I remember thinking "who cares?" about Jonathan Butler's hunger strike. We can't force people to eat.

But Timothy Wolfe needed to show some back bone... and he didn't. He should have addressed the protestors firmly from the beginning. He should have said that racism will not be tolerated, but neither will racial intimidation of white people. Then, when the football team, led by its black players, said it would not practice or play unless Mr. Wolfe resigned.... he should have told them that if they don't practice or play that is their choice, but if they are there on a football scholarship and they don't practice or play they are off the team and the scholarship is over and they will owe full tuition if they wish to stay at the University. Instead, the coach (Gary Pinkel’s salary was over $4 million a year, making him the highest paid employee of the State) and he both caved to their demands. Stupid.
Mizzou's football team may never be the same.

I wouldn't send a child to a place that won't protect everyone, and from the top the administration simply wouldn't stand up to the thugs.

+1. My buddies and I all graduated from Mizzou in 1983, and we were ashamed of the leadership. The young black student that started the whole thing at Mizzou is gay, black, was voted Homecoming King, and came from millionaire parents. And he was screaming about inequality?

Ridiculous!

Chellim is right, UMC (University of Missouri - Columbia) will have a long road back.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen their advertising around Chicago recently, trying to get students.

As a parent, I’d say hell no.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
The entire house of cards that is higher ed is getting ready to implode.

Once these kids wise up and quit signing up for student loans the entire system will fail.

We now have the technology for the best teacher in any subject can record lessons and sell them for $1.00 each to a world of students. there is literally no reason to go to a brick and mortar school.

When it fails the US economy is going to take a massive hit. So many indirect jobs from the university system.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We now have the technology for the best teacher in any subject can record lessons and sell them for $1.00 each to a world of students. there is literally no reason to go to a brick and mortar school.

This. I was working on my M.S. attending brick/mortar classrooms, and then this thing called 9/11 happened. Got deployed and was not able to continue for a while. Then when internet was up and running in Afghanistan, finished the degree while at Bagram AB. I found the online workload more challenging.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post